Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2012, 09:08 PM
Faz786
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do???

Hi everyone,

this is my first post so hello all!!!

I'm not actually a subaru owner (yet!) but just after some advice really...

I currently drive an Audi A3 1.8T Quattro, and looking to get a "fun" car. I've been looking at Impreza's for a while now but just wanted to know if I should get the following spec car:

2005 WRX PPP SL, Full Subaru history, 1 owner, 74k miles. The guy wants £4,800... any good? It looks OK - but it isnt an STi

Your thoughts would be much appreciated!
Old 08 May 2012, 09:22 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Get an STI, if funds allow. Better 'box and brakes for starters.

SL is only Sunroof and Leather - not something I'd like.
Old 08 May 2012, 09:50 PM
Tony Harrington
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to be more detailed with what you are looking for in terms of performance, standard spec or mods, as a runaround or track or both etc
Old 08 May 2012, 10:06 PM
Tomwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seems priced ok, have seen blob wrx go for 4-4.5k

the sunroof and leather is defo something different,
i have the 07 hawk wrx sl and love the seats,
the front s are heated and a god send in the cold winter mornings so make sure they work.

everyone will tell you to buy an sti ,yes they have better boxes,brakes etc but if everyone bought the same then it would be boring,

depends on what the car is used for, what you plan to do power wise.insurnace as well,get it checked out before you buy as wrx is chepaer than an sti most of the time
Old 10 May 2012, 10:17 PM
Faz786
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomwrx
seems priced ok, have seen blob wrx go for 4-4.5k

the sunroof and leather is defo something different,
i have the 07 hawk wrx sl and love the seats,
the front s are heated and a god send in the cold winter mornings so make sure they work.

everyone will tell you to buy an sti ,yes they have better boxes,brakes etc but if everyone bought the same then it would be boring,

depends on what the car is used for, what you plan to do power wise.insurnace as well,get it checked out before you buy as wrx is chepaer than an sti most of the time

Thanks Tomwrx

I'm planning on keeping it for a couple of years as my daily. Power wise, its got the PPP 260 package and I think I'm going to keep it at that for the time being. Going to go see it this weekend with a view to buy.

Anything in particular I should look out for? As mentioned before, its got a full Subaru history so hopefully it should be all ok.

Does the turbo last OK on these?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11 May 2012, 12:35 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My 37 pence worth should you care/give a f.....

If it's pristine you want to pay much closer to the £4k mark, how much a car is worth is subjective, the question is how much is it worth to you.

I would have liked an SL but my blob wagon ppp had slightly more milage than i wanted at 92000, but it had lots of history and AP 4 pot front brakes, it was black which i wanted, and the all important wagon, so i gave slightly more than i would have liked, which was £4k, that was 7 months ago, and on balance given the brakes and the ppp, i think i did ok.

But ultimately it's your money, if it's what you really want then it's worth a premium, but £4800 is a tad high, so just remember it's a buyers market and these cars are not for everyone because the running costs are high, also the SL is not for everyone and if it's a saloon then most will chuck another £1k at the job and buy an sti.

At the end of the day it's your money, just don't let your heart rule your head.
Old 11 May 2012, 09:24 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

WRX won't seem much of a fun car after yours.