Sponsored by:

Drive carefully now .... especially in Essex

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2001, 07:42 PM
Rebecca
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Piece in papers about the National Association of Air Ambulance Service who've gathered accident data from across the country, showing there are at least seven dangerous roads which are getting more than their fair share of call-outs and to which the air ambulances are called out to most frequently.

All roads have claimed lives and, on average, air ambulance crews have to deal with accidents on them at least ONCE A MONTH.

1. Reading, Berks: Woodcote Road, Woodcote.
2. Essex: A12, Hatfield Peverel slip road.
3. Essex: M11 northbound between junctions seven and eight.
4. Essex: A120 between Dunmow and Braintree.
5. Lancashire: A565 Preston-Southport road.
6. Lincolnshire: A607 Harmston Crossroads.
7. Lincolnshire: Gringley-on-the-Hill, A631 Gainsborough to Doncaster road.

The A228 near Rochester in Kent would have made the list if it were based on deaths, rather than call-outs. This highway to hell has claimed the lives of 24 people in the last 16 years.

Old 09 April 2001, 07:49 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Makes sobering reading Bex.....
Old 09 April 2001, 07:54 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Woodcote road in Berks is awful. I see fresh flowers along there weekly.

Makes you sit back and think

Old 09 April 2001, 07:56 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Most of the accidents in Essex are caused by the girls getting out of the cars in the lay-by on the wrong side!!

pete
Old 09 April 2001, 07:59 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy

Tell me about it.....two fatal RTA's close to our village recently, one of them my neighbour...
Old 09 April 2001, 08:06 PM
Rebecca
Scooby Regular

Angry

I sincerely hope Pete, you don't think it's funny ?????
Old 09 April 2001, 08:10 PM
melpaul2002
Scooby Regular

what a strange take you have on the subject ps lewis, i wont pretend i lose sleep over it all but surely it aint all smiles !?

lets hope none of us are ever included in the stats.
Old 09 April 2001, 09:07 PM
Tim Taylor
Scooby Regular

I can vouch for the A12 and A120 stretches of road, they are just up the road from me and I hate using that A12 slip. I normally join in Boreham to avoid it when busy.

Tim
Old 09 April 2001, 09:35 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Not good.

Any details on the cause of these accidents? or are they all just classified as RTAs?

Chris
Old 09 April 2001, 10:29 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

The ones on the A120 usually involve junctions (I suspect someone has been following a slower car/lorry for about 8 miles, sees an opportunity to overtake and then runs into someone pulling out from a junction) or the 'wide enough for three cars' stretch that is the Braintree bypass. The latter seems to have the 'running into traffic coming the other way' and 'failing to see the roundabout at the end in time' variants. I often see flowers at the side of the road and think that was some poor bugger on their way to work.

The M11 between 7 and 8 (I think that's Harlow and Bishop's Stortford -- was always crap with junction numbers) is usually quite lightly loaded and an opportunity to get a move on after being stuck behind a load of stuff going up the hill from the M25 to North Weald -- I suspect this is contributory as well as the jam leading up the slip roads at Harlow and Stortford.

Don't know about the A12 at Hatfield Peverel, but it always struck me that the A12 seems quite narrow between Marks Tey and Chelmsford -- I've often dropped down to about 65 through that section in clear conditions.

BTW you can contribute to the Essex Air Ambulance service -- it's only a quid a week. Apparently their helicopter keeps breaking down because they can't afford a hangar for it. Well worth the money IMHO, particularly if you travel a lot.

[This message has been edited by carl (edited 09 April 2001).]
Old 09 April 2001, 11:16 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Red face

Oh for gods sake - lighten up

I was nearly killed on the Woodcote Road in 1977 - came out of a great party, pi55ed (yes ok) and promptly smashed my motorbike into the hedge - so, dont come the dont smile to me .... I have stared death in the face more times than most of you kiddies on here have had their nappies changed.

Come back and talk when you have lived life in the hard lane my friends.

In the mean time have a laugh, life is honestly too short and serious to stay grumpy for long!!

Pete

[This message has been edited by pslewis (edited 09 April 2001).]
Old 09 April 2001, 11:23 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

As a regular M11'er I am surprised at between J7 & J8, hardly ever a problem there...

Between J8 & J9, well that seems for me, to be the worse. At least 3 fatals there & I'm talking big pile-ups
Old 10 April 2001, 01:12 PM
James_Harvey
Scooby Regular

The Hatfield Peverel slip road is *kin aweful. It joins the A12 on a blind bend, so you can't see what is coming when you join.

A good tip, you go over the A12 before headind down the Slip, so take a look as you go over the bridge. Gives you a better idea whats coming.

Also, when on the A12, I always pull into the outside lane when approaching that slip road. Its a bit of a leap of faith and people will always pull out in front of you... especially if you are hoofing it

Don't know why something isn't done about it .

Be careful out there...

James.
Old 10 April 2001, 01:21 PM
Tim Taylor
Scooby Regular

James

There are some plans to build a by-pass for traffic only wanting to go to Witham, thus avoiding the blind slip road.

Don't know if/when it will be built though.

Tim
Old 10 April 2001, 04:30 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

pslewis,

I don't think your original post was appropriate for this topic.

And as for the "justification" :

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by pslewis:
<B>Oh for gods sake - lighten up

I was nearly killed on the Woodcote Road in 1977 - came out of a great party, pi55ed (yes ok) and promptly smashed my motorbike into the hedge - so, dont come the dont smile to me .... I have stared death in the face more times than most of you kiddies on here have had their nappies changed.
[This message has been edited by pslewis (edited 09 April 2001).][/quote]

...To be quite honest, It seems to me that the "it's all just a laugh" attitude you project is probably why you ended up in a hedge "staring death in the face" in the first place. Maybe there was more you could have learnt from that incident.

Whilst on the subject of "staring death in the face", was there any other traffic involved in your motorbike/hedge incident? I was just wondering if you helped anyone else to "stare death in the face".

Moray
(As me, not as my moderator alter-ego)
Old 10 April 2001, 05:15 PM
jowly
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Rebecca:
<B>
Piece in papers about the National Association of Air Ambulance Service who've gathered accident data from across the country, showing there are at least seven dangerous roads which are getting more than their fair share of call-outs and to which the air ambulances are called out to most frequently.

All roads have claimed lives and, on average, air ambulance crews have to deal with accidents on them at least ONCE A MONTH.

1. Reading, Berks: Woodcote Road, Woodcote.
2. Essex: A12, Hatfield Peverel slip road.
3. Essex: M11 northbound between junctions seven and eight.
4. Essex: A120 between Dunmow and Braintree.
5. Lancashire: A565 Preston-Southport road.
6. Lincolnshire: A607 Harmston Crossroads.
7. Lincolnshire: Gringley-on-the-Hill, A631 Gainsborough to Doncaster road.

The A228 near Rochester in Kent would have made the list if it were based on deaths, rather than call-outs. This highway to hell has claimed the lives of 24 people in the last 16 years.

[/quote]

The Woodcote road has been known as the 13 bends of death since I learnt to drive on it back in 1978.....so no real surprises there..
Old 10 April 2001, 05:23 PM
jowly
Scooby Newbie

Cool

It seems to me that people who regularly drive these roads should know better,and those who don't shoul;d take a little more care.Corse if you r in a scooby no bend is too difficult .
Old 10 April 2001, 05:25 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by jowly:
<B>Corse if you r in a scooby no bend is too difficult .[/quote]If only that were true...
Old 10 April 2001, 06:11 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by jowly:
<B>Corse if you r in a scooby no bend is too difficult .[/quote]

Aha! Now I have the explanation! My Terzo mysteriously metamorphosed into something else a few nanoseconds before I pranged it!!

I can tell you this, it was certainly metamorphosed afterwards....

BJH

[This message has been edited by Brendan Hughes (edited 10 April 2001).]
Old 10 April 2001, 11:26 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Dear Miss Goody two shoes HorayMckenzie - are you the moderator that wears the skirt ... oooops sorry kilt!

No other vehicles involved Sir, but I take exception at you 'preaching' to me - I was 19 at the time!!! Looking at how 'sensible' you obviously are begs the question whether you ever got out in your youth?????????

I do NOT make light of this subject, I have seen friends killed on our roads, I had quite a few accidents on a bike and in a car myself - its called having a youth, getting out, doing mad things, see? sensible or not it happened.

The night I held a young lad as his life ebbed away in a field where his car had overturned, his head crumbled in my arms. The 3 other youths were dead already.

This is the way of the world and I will NOT have some jumped-up **** telling me what I SHOULD or SHOULD NOT be saying ok??

Pete
Old 11 April 2001, 12:58 AM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

pslewis,

OK. I was just expressing my opinion, which, on the evidence of your posts, should not be an idea that is alien to you.

However much of a girly skirt/kilt wearing "jumped-up ****" you believe I am, I would still suggest that your original post was inappropriate for this thread.

Your reply has helped to further crystalise some more opinions of my own... thank you.

Moray
(Still without my moderator's hat on.)
Old 11 April 2001, 08:55 AM
Jacko
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Know one like's bad news, but it can be an awakening.
I think in all fairness, most of us if not all, drive over the speed limit and out of our (not our cars) depths.
Rebecca's prompt should just be a gentle reminder, that sometimes the common sense button (NOT THE BRIGHT BUTTON!) should be used when you either don't really know the road your travelling along or you do not quite feel compos mentis!

Enjoy, but be aware, Jacko.

[This message has been edited by Jacko (edited 11 April 2001).]
Old 11 April 2001, 04:04 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Wink

Point taken Moray

I love opinions - I was told off by Beccy in an earlier post and someone else also, no need for you to jump on the bandwagon too?? bah bah bah bah

Glad to see you have crystalised my friend - you needed to chill somewhat!

Pete
Old 11 April 2001, 04:39 PM
DominicA
Scooby Regular

Smile

CALM DOWN, CALM DOWN (in bad scouse accent)..

not good....

but hey Brendan, how's it going???
Old 11 April 2001, 05:00 PM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

Chaps,
Going back to the point somewhat and regarding the Hatfield Peveral sliproad, I've lost count of the number of times I've seen the follwing;
Accellerate down sliproad
Spot Gap
Indicate
Pull out
Hesitate
Pull in.....Return to spot gap and repeat.
By this time the entire traffic flow has stopped due to the ripple effect.

I personally favour the slowly down the slip, spot a suitable gap then boooot it technique, it does of course rely on you having a relatively powerful car and therefore being a baby killer and public enemy number one.( or two if you count PSLewis at he moment )
Just make sure you all take care of yourselves because nobody else will!

Old 11 April 2001, 06:17 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

YES!!!

Public enemy No.1!!!

WOW I have made it

I DO love this BBS - and anyone who works on it for free like Moray has my honest thanks and respect - but that doesnt mean he cant get a piece of my tongue when same steps out of line (IMHO of course!!)

Pete (Public Enemy Number 1)
Old 11 April 2001, 06:47 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Pete - I can handle most things, but I'm puzzled about your Profile entry; Keeper of the Peace. Where do you work, Zimbabwe?

Dom - I'm carless (and careless) at the mo, but if all goes well I might be able to buy an MY01 with no VAT and Dip Plates (arriving at the end of the year)... meanwhile I lurk and make pointless comments... hope you and Kim are well. How I miss the ability to jeopardise my NCBs on ClangNBalls!

For 2p, my parents have their own little deathtrap nearby, A21/A268 crossroads. But it doesn't sound nearly as bad as this lot

Be safe all

BJH
Old 11 April 2001, 07:35 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Well I keep the peace on the doors of nightclubs see?? whoever pays the money gets the muscle - this IS my part time job just because I enjoy it so much.

My 'Grown up' job is at the Atomic Weapons Base see
Old 11 April 2001, 08:19 PM
Rebecca
Scooby Regular

As the person who started this topic, I think I'm going to have my tuppence worth of opinion.

Firstly, I posted this topic for the benefit of us ALL .... to make people aware that there are some nasty roads out there and to take care ... call it my public duty if you like.

However, I didn't take kindly to pslewis hijacking it with such a facetious remark which wasn't warranted in this forum ... fine for the muppet forum but not for this one. I have nothing against you Pete having your opinions ... but there is a time and place for them and it certainly wasn't here.

And finally, thanks to Moray for the comments.

I'm not trying to spoil anyone's fun ... life's too short ... but if you're driving a fast car, wouldn't you like to know where it's safe to use its power and enjoy it more as a result?

OK, I'm off my soapbox now.

Bex
Old 11 April 2001, 08:34 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Question

How the hell can anyone, anywhere, at anytime on any bloody planet think that this:- (Most of the accidents in Essex are caused by the girls getting out of the cars in the lay-by on the wrong side!!) is lacking respect for the topic under consideration???? For GODS sake get a life those of you who do!!

You told me off first on here Beccy so fair enough - what really dicks me off is the bah bah bah bah sheep brigade having a pop.

They are EXACTLY the same people who strive to make their cars look like the next one, bah bah bah! oooooooooooo!! listen to my exhaust and buy one just the same - pathetic!!

Moan over - needed to be said!!

Pete

[This message has been edited by pslewis (edited 11 April 2001).]

Quick Reply: Drive carefully now .... especially in Essex