Nurburgring advice.

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2012, 05:35 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nurburgring advice.

Hi all,

So at the end of April me and a few others are making our first pilgrimage to the ring. Its my first time so wondered if anyone has any advice on which hotel to book and anything to watch out for in general.

Ill be upgrading my anchors before I head out (k-sport 8 pots) there plus new rubber. Other than a good health check would you recommend doing anything else?

Thinking of getting a gopro camera to record everything to unless anyone can recommend anything else better?

Cheers
Old 17 March 2012, 05:41 PM
Bean1984
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

speak to insurance and breakdown firms mate n let them know and take plenty of spare cash in case you run short
Old 17 March 2012, 05:51 PM
AJF
Scooby Regular

What's the budget for the hotel
There are a few cash points about and all the fuel stations take card
Be careful about the camera you not meant to film your laps
Try and get the go pro hd
And most of all enjoy

Adrian
Old 17 March 2012, 05:58 PM
AWG
Scooby Regular

'Anger' on here has been, he'll be a good bet for advice
Old 17 March 2012, 06:16 PM
AJF
Scooby Regular

Yeah anger he normal stays at Jackies place which is about 20 minutes drive from the ring ideal for warming up the car before going out
Garig cwt on here stays at some self catering bungalows just out side the ring if nothing is happening at the ring that weekend works out good value for money
Most people will advise to eat at Sebrin's (sp) family restaurant great atmosphere not so good food. One of those place to say you have been to

Adrian
Old 17 March 2012, 07:48 PM
greylag
Scooby Regular

Been weighing up whether to make the trip or not for the last couple of years.The possible financial implications of an accident don't bear thinking about,but feel sure i will end up going anyway as it is such a unique place,I have k sport 8 pots on mine and they transform the car,you can brake so much later than with the standard brake set up,which is as we all know a bit pants.
Old 17 March 2012, 08:18 PM
alb27
Scooby Regular

I'm off to the ring over the Easter weekend, can't wait! I've been once before but not driven round the track. Stopped off there on the way back from last year's Crumball Rally, in our slightly decorated van

We are staying at this place http://www.hotel-an-der-nordschleife.de/hotel/index.php which apparently is right next to the track somewhere around Adenau.

I've got K Sport 8 pots on mine too, and agree completely that they give so much more confidence than the standard ones.

Trending Topics

Old 17 March 2012, 08:55 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, Had no idea about the no filming rule!? Just confirming who's coming now and will look at places metioned to stay.
Old 18 March 2012, 10:58 AM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

ive been a few times, its alot more expensive due to the price of the euro and fuel ect though, take spare oil and brake fluid just incase you OR a friend needs it

eat at ALL the places and save the piston clause for the last night BUT book the first day you are they as they REALLY get booked up but its worth it for the steak on a stone

i stayed in hersbroich which is between nurburg and adenau so enough warming up time and enough chill time to relax that isnt too busy

i LOVE the ring just the price is soo expensive these days for a long weekend, easy cost 2k overall

oh and get a norfolk line ferry from dover to dunkerke as its around 50 quid and cuts 30 miles off rather than going to calais

anything else give me a shout, there is enough places to help aswell should you have issues but the prices at garages are not the cheepest

break down you NEED ADAC which is basically the AA in europe but they will tow you home and cover you in the uk too for the same price as the RAC cover you for a weekend

check insurance too the ring has been a playground for over 10 years now and the last 6 years insurance companies have been hit hard and are now fighting back rather than just letting it go
Old 18 March 2012, 02:38 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

Nice one bud, cheers for the info.
Old 18 March 2012, 02:53 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

oh and if you love icecream there is icecream parlor in adenau which does spaghetti ice cream,,,,,,, its not pasta and spaghetti btw but deffo something else to do

oh and of roading is another thing to do whilst there, infact i just LOVE it there,,,,, wish i was going again this year
Old 18 March 2012, 03:04 PM
W R X
Scooby Regular

You'll be fine filming. Just whack the Gopro somewhere inconspicuous.

Only advice I would give is (if you havent already booked already) to go mid week if at all possible. I have been a few times over the space of about 5 years but the last time went over a weekend in October and it was horrendously busy. People were parking a good half mile away on the grass verge on the road up to the car park. Granted it was a sunny day and there had been an hour closure due to an earlier crash so people were chomping at the bit but sadly several closures a day can be the norm.

Loads of decent places to stay - take a look on here for loads of useful info:

http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/

It's a great experience just a shame it's become so expensive (26 Euros a lap!) and so busy.

Still - got to be done.
Old 18 March 2012, 03:20 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

who remembers when it was only 15 euros a lap AND the exchange rate was 1.91 euros to a pound

huge pizza in pinochios was 6 euros which made it just under 4 quid

my first weekend cost me 1100 quid with 35 laps including fuel,,,, last time cost me a grand as a passenger splitting the cost and split 25 laps i think and was a day shorter too
Old 18 March 2012, 04:15 PM
W R X
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ginge !
who remembers when it was only 15 euros a lap AND the exchange rate was 1.91 euros to a pound

huge pizza in pinochios was 6 euros which made it just under 4 quid

my first weekend cost me 1100 quid with 35 laps including fuel,,,, last time cost me a grand as a passenger splitting the cost and split 25 laps i think and was a day shorter too
Awesome. I remember ordering "Pizza and a beer" in Pinochios for a fiver. The pizza was so big most of it hung over the edge of the plate and the beer was one of the finest pints of ice cold Bitberger I have tasted. Great days.

First time we went we got to the track and Sabine was racing a stunt plane around the Ring in an SLR for some German TV programme.

He wasnt coming into land here, that was the height that he was flying at round the track

SLR "722" that Sabine was driving (crap photo!).

Last edited by W R X; 18 March 2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 18 March 2012, 04:24 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

STOP IT,,,, seriously i miss that place soo much

need to get back just too many prioritys right now plus no working car
Old 21 March 2012, 11:04 PM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Not a lot more to add to what has been put above

I'll be out there quite a bit this year
Old 22 March 2012, 12:35 AM
Steve_PPP
Scooby Regular

Don't treat it like a race track on your first lap, watch out for the bikers and make sure you have breakdown cover than includes full repatriation to the UK.

Its a cracking place

Originally Posted by Anger
I'll be out there quite a bit this year
You've been 'out there' for a long time mate
Old 22 March 2012, 01:05 AM
icbm
Scooby Regular

Cracking place. Been 5 times with my M3, but not since i sold it! Hoping to get there this year.
We usually camp as its a great atmosphere and only about 30 euros all weekend. Much cheaper. I only do a couple of laps too, rest of the time is watching everyone else.

Its hard not to race! I treated it like a fast country lane i'd never driven, but still managed to be above 100mph most of the way!

My fastest lap was 8min 45 B-G in the M3. But on a busy weekend you'll be stop start mostly!
Old 23 March 2012, 09:33 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

I don't think I'm below 10 mins yet if I'm honest but I've never timed myself, I won't out with a mate in his sti ra a few years ago which is what got helped me think of getting a scooby just for my next. Visit,,,, and i enjoyed it soo much I have kept my car ever since it's also. Why I bought a Clio 172 as the same mate the following year took me out inn his,,,,,, but JC is a ****ing master behind the wheel with his aggressive style
Old 23 March 2012, 10:17 PM
Anger
Scooby Regular

I've never timed myself and drive how I want to, see so many crashes from people chasing times over there... Get caught in traffic and then over cook it after trying to make the lost time up
Old 23 March 2012, 10:39 PM
alan1981
Scooby Newbie

You could check out the continental car tours web site as they used to promote a company that offered breakdown cover that takes you back to the UK, definately worth getting something similar, spare break pads, brake fluid, some tools incase of minor mishaps, go onto granturismo and practise track it does help and enjoy it is a quality place
Old 23 March 2012, 11:44 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alan1981
go onto granturismo and practise track it does help and enjoy it is a quality place
I can't even do a lap on GT without crashing but have never crashed at the ring, the layout is the same but the feel of the car and cambers is totally different but it's a good way to try and get a feel for it though no yellow flags pop up when your having a good lap as he marshals are moping up a biker, that chicane at Adenauer forst is easier on gt though and that right hand down hill bend (thing it's kellenhard) the car REALLY slides if the tyres are done oh and you don't get the real feeling of the bumps on the karusell

But you also don't get the coaches or the zakspeed viper push you out of the ****ing way either on the game !
Old 15 April 2012, 09:45 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

Well the time has come, just about to book jackies place to stay after the recommendations on here, plus a little look at the guest book on the site.

Checked out the ADAC site, seems worth it considering the cost of retreiving the car if it does go belly up.

Got 4 falken 452's to fit before I go, along with k-sport 8 pots (330mm) to keep me on the black stuff. Will be my first outing with my new VF34, pinks and remap also so should be a nice little run out.

Will try and remember to sneak the gopro in somewhere if I can, if not one of the guys is taking his Cannon 5D so should get a few pics hopefully. Only 3 cars going, myself, an rx7 and a civc type-r.

Thanks for the help chaps!
Old 15 April 2012, 09:53 PM
Anger
Scooby Regular

I'm already looking forward to getting back to Jackies in 6 weeks for the beer and food
Old 15 April 2012, 09:59 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

I'll be there from the 4th of may
Old 15 April 2012, 10:32 PM
the bear1986
Scooby Regular

Kedlestone I'm going to be there fro
The 4th till the 7th with my scooby and 2 other cars and I'm staying at eddys in addanue. Would you like to meet up on the sat as the track is open for the whole weekend.
Old 16 April 2012, 01:27 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

Yeah sounds like a plan bud, I'll drop you a pm.
Old 18 April 2012, 11:50 AM
carstenmkiv
Scooby Regular

Hey Kedlestone

I live in germany, been driving the Ring for a long time now.
You can bring your GoPro with you, no one will say anything against it.

By regulation you are not "allowed" to film your drive, but no one cares if a a gopro is mounted to your car.

Just one advice: Be very, very, very, very carefull while driving the ring. The course is damn complicated and extremely tricky. It´s easy to over estimate yourself. So please be carefull and dont wreck your car.

Also be careful of other drivers. Couple of friends were surprised when they first drove on the Ring. Seeing "real" race cars with hundreds of bhp / track setup etc. overtaking you.
Old 18 April 2012, 12:17 PM
TheGermanMan
Scooby Regular

You can Rent a Cam from the Ring Service (Source: Nürburgring Page), so why they should forbid them?
Old 18 April 2012, 12:51 PM
Gigsy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TheGermanMan
You can Rent a Cam from the Ring Service (Source: Nürburgring Page), so why they should forbid them?
So you have to rent one of theirs... it's all about how much money they can fleece from you these days.

Quick Reply: Nurburgring advice.