Sponsored by:

Bonnet popped at warp speed!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2001, 02:19 PM
Akira
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

Just had a very scary moment whilst coming back from lunch.

Accelerating onto a dual carriageway from roundabout passing slower traffic and my bonnet decides to pop open at 60-70Mph!!!!

Fortunately in stayed on the catch and didn't do the unthinkable and flip back. Needless to say, it was a major "oh f**k" moment as my STI V TypeR V-Ltd only has a flimsy ally bonnet.

Pulled in smartish into next layby fully expecting a very bent bonnet.

Well, i'm pleased to say that the gods were shining on me again as there is absolutely no damage or distortion, couldn't believe it!

The funniest thing though was that the layby was adjacent to farmland with big "Foot & Mouth" boards and was actually a no stop area! Well sorry Mr Farmer but my Scooby with it's bonnet flapping was higher on my priority list than your little bah bah's at that moment.

The moral of the story though is to make sure your bonnet is properly closed after filling I/C waterspray or whatever.

Following my decent Grand National win on Saturday and this my Golden Bollox are shining bright!!! Just off for a polish .............. NURSE!

Cya
Chris.
Old 10 April 2001, 06:01 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Akira:
<B>
The funniest thing though was that the layby was adjacent to farmland with big "Foot & Mouth" boards and was actually a no stop area! Well sorry Mr Farmer but my Scooby with it's bonnet flapping was higher on my priority list than your little bah bah's at that moment. [/quote]

It's no good.. your car will now have to be shot, burned, and buried... expect the MAFF men soon

BJH
Old 10 April 2001, 06:03 PM
RichardC
Scooby Regular

This happened to my too. My problem was that I could not get it to close after it popped. Dealer sorted it under warrenty.

RichardC
Old 10 April 2001, 06:13 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

I had this happen and the safety catch failed too. Fortunately it was an 'old shape' Saab 900 and the bonnet opened the other way. What you had to do was unlock it and the front would rise about 6 inches then you rolled the whole thing forward on runners.

Anyway, I was progressing along the motorway and there was a large bang and I noticed I could see the cambox cover. Once the air had got under the front it pulled the rollers at the back out of their catches (bending them in the process) and the whole thing was sitting about 6" above the engine bay. Pulled over and shoehorned it back together, bent the catches back in place when I got home and everything was fine.

I dreaded to think what would have happened if it opened the other way.
Old 10 April 2001, 06:16 PM
H
Scooby Regular

This happened to me a couple of months ago...I was doing 105 through a tunnel with a Jag XK8 behind and to the right.....

The bonnet flew up, however, I didn't hit anything else...the damage was major to the bonnet and roof....total bill £2,300

But I would love to hear the Jag drivers stories when he got to the pub!
Old 10 April 2001, 06:43 PM
RussP
Scooby Regular

Mine's got the Ally bonnet and i did get a bit of a scare going (uh-hum!)quite fast on SUnday coming home form the Surrey Meet. Its's kind of lifting a bit either side, like the metal itslef is flexing. Its probably okay but once you start thinking about wot a mess it'd make of both the car and possibly me at (quite fast mph), if it flew open.

I'm going to get it checked, does anybody elses do it?

Russ

Old 10 April 2001, 07:23 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

We've got a rover 200 in at work, the lady driver ran into the back of something and after swapping details etc set off on her way again as the damage didn't look that bad. However it was bad enough to break the bonnet catch which gave way at speed! The car is currently having a new roof!

Bob
Old 10 April 2001, 08:32 PM
WALKER
Scooby Regular

Chris

You lucky git!
Glad to hear it didnt go `all the way`

Go wash ya motor down in Jeyes fluid!

Paul