Aloha..

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2012, 10:58 AM
ClapTrap
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aloha..

Greetings people.

Just joined the site so thought i'd start by saying hi.

Also, would like to pick your brains for a moment..

I'm currently a Civic Type R, Ep3 owner and like many others i'm looking to upgrade.
I've got about 15k to spend and wondering what model would be the best suited to me. Pretty much set on an Sti but not sure whether to go for the 07 hawkeye or the newer 08 onwards model. Have read a few bad things about the 08+ model engines.. I'm not going to be doing any radical modifications but i'm not against buying one that has sensible mods already. I'll be using it as my main car but i don't have to worry about driving to work or anything so it's almost like a weekend car.. or as it states on insurance docs; social, domestic and pleasure only!

I'm not a newbie to jap performance cars but would appreciate some current owners advice as in my opinion there is nothing like it.

Obviously there will be a few different opinions but the more advice and opinions the better.

Many thanks in advance
Old 02 February 2012, 11:14 AM
oldman-wrx
Scooby Regular

Part of it will obviously be your preference on the body styles. your budget should get you a very,very nice Sti Hawkeye you will need to read the threads on the benefit over JDM as opposed to UK STI they each have pluses (I have uk STI Hawk and yes sadly love the burble)
More and more after hating the Hatch are now comming round to liking them. believe those that have actualy been in them like the drive. Read the threads on the Hatch engine prob to do with 2.5 the JDM 2.0 Hatch does not suffer this.
Im sure those with more technical knowledge will be along soon.

agree go for an STI had a blob eye wrx before this loved it but they are chalk and cheese in comparison

Im sure you will enjoy the scooby whichever you plumb for. they are adictive
Old 02 February 2012, 04:58 PM
ClapTrap
Scooby Newbie

Cheers buddy. I'm in Afghan at the mo and internet connection is shakey at best but once i get the chance i'll have a good look through the forums.
As far as the shape goes i'm torn between the two of the them. Like you said, i wasn't a fan of the hatchback until i had a go in a mates and it totally changed my opinion.

Also does anyone else have any opinions about the RB320? Is it worth the money or is it just as good to get a slightly modded hawkeye for a lot less money?
Old 02 February 2012, 05:26 PM
oldman-wrx
Scooby Regular

RB320 is nearer the 18k/19k+ range they are lovely cars if you go for one get one with the full pack ie Clarion satnav and leather seats. Limited numbers and getting rarer. thus they hold their price well. To me they are the ultimate Hawkeye (unless you can afford Litchfield 25 lol) guy in my club has one and it is the dogs whatsits, and I say this owning a moded Black Hawk with 340 bhp tints miltek etc etc.(Yes I could not afford the extra to buy one)
If you go for RB320 go to their forum many of the guys there have had them from new and seem to know the iffy ones out there for sale. They really look after their RB320 with usually the best mods going on if they don't leave it as standard.

Last edited by oldman-wrx; 02 February 2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02 February 2012, 06:17 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are looking at car newer than 2006 onwards then i would recommend going JDM sti as the engine is a lot bettewr than the UK 2.5 models. Or you could look for a uk 2.5 sti that has seen a decent rebuild and is capable of decent power Just to let you know the RB320 can suffer from these engine failures too as they have the same engine as the uk 2.5 Sti.

It's a buyers market at the moment and you have enough notes to buy a good car.
Old 28 February 2012, 04:05 PM
ClapTrap
Scooby Newbie

Well it's been a while but i have now returned to the uk and purchased myself my prize possession.. Went for a hawkeye Sti, 25500 miles with a few minor modifications inc a turbo back Haywood & Scott exhaust and upgraded tein suspension. Also been remapped by Race dynamix and is pushing out a healthy 341 bhp.
I ended up going through a Subaru dealer so i had some comeback if there was any problems but also meant i ended up paying a little more, but personally i think it's worth. Especially as i'm not the most mechanically minded person in the world.. i can handle a service and basic mechanics but anything more and i'm as useful as **** on a fish!!

Many thanks for the posts. Will no doubt be back picking your brains again in the near future