Sponsored by:

ring times for standard turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2001, 10:11 AM
thrustone
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I noticed that in the hall of fame at the Ring, the standard Turbo is slightly lagging the M3 and some way behind the Lotus Esprit. I haven't been there yet but watching videos most of the curves seem to be broad sweeping ones that a lot of cars can take fast, I was wondering if this might account for a possible lack of advantage? Of course there could be loads of other factors like different drivers, conditions etc. I'm only interested in the standard model so lets not worry about the 'ah but the P1/22B/RB5 could do it much quicker .

Also, do you guys who go follow the advice I read somewhere about the points between which you measure your lap times and adding on 23s?
Old 04 April 2001, 10:14 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I'm no motor racing expert, but the standard UK Turbo is about 100bhp down on the M3. Might that have something to do with it?

Andy.
Old 04 April 2001, 01:15 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Most people seem to time from BTG (bridge to gantry). The problem with this is that you're not at full speed when you pass under the bridge, and top speeds vary hugely from car to car.
There's no real way to get accurate lap times unless you take part in a private event.
Oh, and 8min 27secs is my best BTG time.

Stef.
Old 04 April 2001, 02:01 PM
harj
Scooby Regular

Wink

Im going for Sub 8's

And maybe low 8's in the 22B LOL
Old 04 April 2001, 03:00 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Dre-e-e-e-eam, dream, dream, dre-eam, dre-e-e-e-eam.....

Stef.
Old 04 April 2001, 03:40 PM
harj
Scooby Regular

Wink

Stef please don't make me kick your butt like I normally do

Havent you had enough of the whoopings on track from me? LOL
Old 04 April 2001, 04:09 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

The difference could ba as simple as driver talent, and numbers of cars having a go. I'd say that there would be a LOT more M3's going round the ring than standard UK turbos, add in the power difference (and no loss of power through 4 WD on the M3) and I think you have your answer.
Old 04 April 2001, 05:44 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

...of course you have to look out for the locals who will lap you in their GTIs... and imagine a local in an M3... byeeeeeeeeeee.
Old 04 April 2001, 05:46 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Just to keep the facts straight: it is normally accepted that the times from Sport Auto are a good reference for the cars in question. The driver that does the tests is always the same one (Horst Von Saurma), and he is pretty familiar with the Ring (big understatement).

Scooby time was 8:37, M3 (previous model) was 8:25 if I'm not mistaken, new M3 a bit quicker. I think his best lap in a "street legal productioncar" was 7:56 (6000 BHP Porsche)

The difference is not so much horsepower (certainly not the be all- end all at the Ring), but - according to SportAuto again - the width of the tyres in the case of the Impreza.

Oh, and he was absolutely over the moon with the performance of the Scooby.

Theo

Edit to say that they use the full Ring for these tests, and don't have to stop at the normal start/finish. So they use the full length of Dottinger Höhe. The Scooby looses a few secs on V-Max there (about 230 real km/h) compared to the other cars.

[This message has been edited by EvilBevel (edited 04 April 2001).]
Old 04 April 2001, 06:28 PM
Tony Quinn
Scooby Regular

Wink

Personally I'd be disappointed with a 7'56", in a 6,000bhp Porsche.

Some of the camera angles used on videos can be misleading. I saw one of a Porsche 911 that made much of the track look straight. Reality is very different. The second half of the track is really twisty and tight.

The Scooby loses alot of its time through a lack of top end. There are 3 long sections which although not always straight, are flat in the Scooby. There are alot of hills to get up too. In these areas more grunt would be beneficial. Another problem is trying not to overheat the tyres, the tendency to understeer means that the Scooby is quicker when being hurled about but on a 13 mile lap the grip is totally gone about 5 miles before the finish if you attack the first half of the lap. Or maybe that's just my cheapo tyres. Sport Auto used PZeros. I've got a set of those to try next time.

P.S. Harj, I'll be bringing a calendar to measure your times mate! Anyone wanting to scalp an RS200, please form an orderly queue at the gate. There'll be plenty of time for you all to get by. LOL

P.P.S. ABS is cheating, turn it off Stef. It makes the lap alot more "interesting". The major braking zones are very badly rippled.
Old 04 April 2001, 06:39 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

>>Personally I'd be disappointed with a 7'56", in a 6,000bhp Porsche.

LOL

Sad thing is: I'd probably would be happy still with that time

I am still genuinly wondering BTW why Horst Von Saurma didn't think there was an understeer problem with the standard car.

That said, I have to agree with tyre overheating. On my sub 15 day calender laps ( ) I noticed that my SO2PP's overheat very quickly, even at my pace.
Old 04 April 2001, 07:33 PM
Tony Quinn
Scooby Regular

Wink

"I am still genuinly wondering BTW why Horst Von Saurma didn't think there was an understeer problem with the standard car."

-Can't have been going quickly enough

It may be that he has a different style to most of us. I suspect that he is much more committed to the corners and is still braking through the first half of each corner. :O This technique would eliminate the understeer wherever braking is required. Personally I wouldn't fancy arriving at many of the circuit's corners at the kind of speeds that this technique would allow/necessitate. I've got enough bruises already.

Knowing that the car will understeer at will is quite reassuring. It's great for Hatzenbach for instance where little or no braking is required and the corner speeds aren't too high. It gives you the confidence to attack the corners and know that the car will not bite you.
Old 05 April 2001, 09:58 AM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by EvilBevel:
<B>I am still genuinly wondering BTW why Horst Von Saurma didn't think there was an understeer problem with the standard car.[/quote]Probably because he's a better driver than most of us....
Old 05 April 2001, 11:55 AM
Scott J Davies
Scooby Regular

Talking

I'd be disappointed with a 0.56 in a 6000 bhp Porsche

SJD
Old 05 April 2001, 03:35 PM
Tim Skerry
Scooby Regular

I dont know if this matters, but if you are talking about standard cars, then the limiter on the M3 allows for a higher top speed by (I think) at least 10 mph than the Subaru. So it might not be the bends as much as the straights that count.
Old 05 April 2001, 04:09 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Wink

Apparently, a 330D is as quick as a standard Scooby around the Ring! Must be due to the huge torque and big footprint of the 18's. And it understeers less than the Scooby

Matt
Old 05 April 2001, 05:45 PM
DavidRB
Scooby Regular

Wink

I bet the Scooby would murder the M3 if they ran the 'ring during heavy rain...
Old 06 April 2001, 12:23 AM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

David,

&gt;&gt;Probably because he's a better driver than most of us....

That is a given IMHO. I dug up the old copy with the test, and he states:

"The limits are clearly defined: understeer is absolutely no part of it's driving program. On the contrary, slight to strong oversteer can always be dialled in at will, without being confronted with iffy reactions"

It was this bit that actually made me realize I hadn't even began to exploit the full potention of this car.

This would be in line with Tony's suggestion: breaking very late to force the back out.

Anyway, top speed at Dottinger Hohe was 224 km, Schwedenkreuz gave a 220 km/h.
Old 06 April 2001, 12:25 AM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Oops, post was so good it appeared twice

[This message has been edited by EvilBevel (edited 06 April 2001).]
Old 06 April 2001, 11:45 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Harj.
I don't recall receiving any!!!

Moray.
The locals didn't put up much of a fight last time, even the ones in M3's.

Tony.
I think it would be useful if you started a lap behind me this time. Y'know, just for a comparison.

David.
Very good point.

Stef.
Old 06 April 2001, 06:09 PM
Tony Quinn
Scooby Regular

Talking

Stef,

You're on mate. It'll make good video footage for sure. I just wish that I could be sure that you won't spin it. It's always quite disconcerting following someone who always looks like they are about to have an accident at any moment.

You do remember that the lap on your video where you followed me was one of your early laps and that we were only going gently so that Mr Competitive didn't throw it into the armco trying to keep up? 8:47 wasn't it? As Theo warned, prepare yourself for traffic at Easter like you have never seen before. You won't do many laps below 8:27.

Thanks for the translation Theo, I always wandered what that article said. Nice pictures though!

[This message has been edited by Tony Quinn (edited 06 April 2001).]
Old 06 April 2001, 06:52 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Red face

Just be carefull and dont go with the mentality that you should be setting such and such a time, if you do, your coming home in a box unless you are very lucky.

And if your near bikes, dont forget how vulnerable they are, they have poor vision and may not see you coming so give them some room. You wouldnt want an irate biker kicking your door in now would you?
Old 07 April 2001, 05:26 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Tony.
It's just that I'd like some footage of CK1 from behind, and you'll be able to keep up, hopefully.

John.
Don't worry, I'm just going to have fun, as always.
Oh, and to the biker comment!
Have you had chance to see the edited video yet?

Stef.

[This message has been edited by Stef (edited 07 April 2001).]
Old 07 April 2001, 08:19 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Red face

Now how could i have seen it yet you knobber, you only called me this afternoon to get my address LOL

Obviously a stich up job on the cards LOL

Old 08 April 2001, 01:28 PM
Tony Quinn
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Stef,

I think that I'm gonna need Paul Wilson's trailer to get out there and a tow rope to keep up with you next weekend, engine went pop last night I think that I know the problem and I'm not happy about it. More info when the problem is confirmed. I can already hear the dealer saying "backorder to Japan". Wander if they'll give me a loaner for Easter?
Old 08 April 2001, 01:54 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Unhappy

Damn Tony, thats bad news.

Hope you get something sorted out soon, at least it didnt happen on the ring, that costs a mint, believe me.
Old 08 April 2001, 03:04 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Aw **** Tony, bad news again

Were you in the UK or were you incognito at the Ring &lt;insert half sad smiley&gt; ?

Hope you get it sorted soon.
Old 08 April 2001, 03:10 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Tony.
Soz about that mate, I know how you feel. What do you reckon the problem is then?

Stef.
Old 08 April 2001, 04:45 PM
Theo
Scooby Regular

Angry

NNNNoooooooooo,...NOT AGAIN !

...Sorry to hear this BAD news,..I hope everything will come 100% again soon.

[This message has been edited by Theo (edited 08 April 2001).]
Old 08 April 2001, 05:50 PM
Mr BLITZ
Scooby Regular

Yo TQ,

Put a tractor engine in it mate

Hope everything turns out OK !

Mr BLITZ

Quick Reply: ring times for standard turbo