Sponsored by:

just to help clear things up

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2012, 09:44 PM
camcap
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just to help clear things up

hi all i know the classics can suffer from bottom end failure, but is this also the case with 03-05 wrx sti just wondering if its worth me modding my 98 classic or just save up and buy a 04-05 wrx sti thanks for any help
Old 13 January 2012, 09:53 PM
the hamster
BANNED

sti will have a stronger engine and the excellent 6 speed box so if you're looking for big power then this will give you more reassurance.

All depends on budget and what your goals are.
Old 13 January 2012, 09:58 PM
SHUGSTERC
Scooby Regular

the royal college of england done a survey and classic drivers were proven to be stronger,better looking bigger ***** size and smell better than any other drivers in the uk..and if its a green one like mine then your also mega cool
Old 13 January 2012, 10:06 PM
the hamster
BANNED

Originally Posted by SHUGSTERC
the royal college of england done a survey and classic drivers were proven to be stronger,better looking bigger ***** size and smell better than any other drivers in the uk..and if its a green one like mine then your also mega cool
I understand that the Royal College are also doing a diploma in Classic Impreza Awesomeness which you can take up to Masters Degree level
Old 13 January 2012, 10:08 PM
luke_buk
Scooby Regular

i have a green classic scooby. you have just proven what i have been saying for ages.
thanks
Old 13 January 2012, 10:09 PM
SHUGSTERC
Scooby Regular

not heard about that 1 but its probably true...mone the classics
Old 13 January 2012, 10:11 PM
camcap
Scooby Regular

mine is green lol
Old 13 January 2012, 10:13 PM
camcap
Scooby Regular

thanks hamster i would be more than happy with around 360bhp so what would be my best options ?
Old 13 January 2012, 10:16 PM
SHUGSTERC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by luke_buk
i have a green classic scooby. you have just proven what i have been saying for ages.
thanks
must be true and camcap has 1 too ..cmon the greens waayaay
Old 13 January 2012, 10:19 PM
SHUGSTERC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the hamster
I understand that the Royal College are also doing a diploma in Classic Impreza Awesomeness which you can take up to Masters Degree level
not heard about that 1 but its probably true...mone the classics
Old 13 January 2012, 10:21 PM
luke_buk
Scooby Regular

I think the reason they have a rep for bottom ends going is becasue they are getting cheaper. and so chavs with no understanding of performance engines. can own a scooby. start it up in the morning and drive straight off foot down and race with a fiesta with a 10" back box 2 minutes after starting the car. after a long hard thrash on a cold engine it will then be switched off immediately with no thought about the damage to the engine.

the same will repeated on the way back from work at kfc
Old 13 January 2012, 10:30 PM
camcap
Scooby Regular

sorry should of said 360 in new age and around 300 in my classic
Old 13 January 2012, 10:33 PM
L&G.scooby
Scooby Regular

Love this reply, BUT ..... x2 if your a newage driver
Old 13 January 2012, 10:35 PM
L&G.scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by L&G.scobby
Love this reply, BUT ..... x2 if your a newage driver
And x10 if it's a blue newage
Old 13 January 2012, 10:37 PM
SHUGSTERC
Scooby Regular

this was the final result that cant be beaten ever or ever or ever so ther nanananana
Old 13 January 2012, 10:43 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i thought the findings were 99% of classic owners have been recently kicked out by there wife and currently live in a bedsit and buy a cheap impreza because they think it attracts women.

commonly called a midlife crisis.
Old 13 January 2012, 10:51 PM
SHUGSTERC
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
i thought the findings were 99% of classic owners have been recently kicked out by there wife and currently live in a bedsit and buy a cheap impreza because they think it attracts women.

commonly called a midlife crisis.
not heard that 1 mate...wasnt that the results from the royal college taliban....12 taliban drive the desert afghanistan..sure thats the same college that got the 48 virgin result wen you die?
Old 13 January 2012, 10:53 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

i think it was
another newage vs classic thread yay

anyway ill get my coat
Old 13 January 2012, 11:05 PM
SHUGSTERC
Scooby Regular

lol all scoob drivers are cooler than any others bro and all subarus are def best drivin soundin handlin than any other...unless its an enzo lol
Old 13 January 2012, 11:14 PM
L&G.scooby
Scooby Regular

not heard that 1 mate...wasnt that the results from the royal college taliban....12 taliban drive the desert afghanistan..sure thats the same college that got the 48 virgin result wen you die?
seen more than 12 Taliban in a run of the mill 4 seater, and a goat and chicken in the boot, and I'm not joking!
Old 13 January 2012, 11:16 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Originally Posted by L&G.scobby
seen more than 12 Taliban in a run of the mill 4 seater, and a goat and chicken in the boot, and I'm not joking!
got to be a turbo 2000 cant get any more run off the mill
Old 13 January 2012, 11:17 PM
the hamster
BANNED

Originally Posted by camcap
Ok 1st question. Have you experienced what either are like or are you just plucking numbers out of the air?

2nd, what budget are you looking at to achieve either?

This argument has been done to death recently and the majority will tell you that a classic with 300bhp is likely to be more raw and unrefined compared to a 350+ Newage which has more weight and better build quality.

If it a daily driver i'd go with a newage, if its a toy then have fun in a classic.
Old 13 January 2012, 11:24 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

On paper this maybe true but with modern refinement it's not so clear-cut. i have 360/440 in my newage and i find it an awesome road car. Track car maybe a different story but on the road i find it more than ample. With modern technology i can pretty much use the car's power to get into trouble and get away with it. I wonder if the same could be said of older classic cars.
power to weight ratio on paper is one thing. Using it on the road and living to tell the story is another. There is something nice as an older bloke (mid 40's) having a big care with all the creature comforts and refinement but still untouchable by 90% of the cars on the road than a raw road/race car that's old but light. I've read a lot of threads here lately about the best way to get 500bhp. Dont get me wrong, im a petrol head and read with enthusiasm but wonder if it's really worth it and why peeps want that as a road car. My 360/440 in reality is too much in a car that 1450kg, let alone in a light classic.
My ***** bigger than yours but do i get to use it?
Old 13 January 2012, 11:27 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Ok 1st question. Have you experienced what either are like or are you just plucking numbers out of the air?

This argument has been done to death recently and the majority will tell you that a classic with 300bhp is likely to be more raw and unrefined compared to a 350+ Newage which has more weight and better build quality.

If it a daily driver i'd go with a newage, if its a toy then have fun in a classic.
have you experienced these cars or are you just repeating what you have read??

what imprezas have you owned and driven to get the opinion "If it a daily driver i'd go with a newage, if its a toy then have fun in a classic."
Old 13 January 2012, 11:29 PM
camcap
Scooby Regular

ill be honest mate and say pretty much plucking numbers but by what you say i think ill be best to save up for a new age thanks for your help
Old 13 January 2012, 11:32 PM
L&G.scooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
got to be a turbo 2000 cant get any more run off the mill
Yup, pretty sure it was mate
Old 13 January 2012, 11:34 PM
SHUGSTERC
Scooby Regular

i had a 2004 impreza but the missus couldnt drive it...i truly loved it ...i truly love my classic and as its a prodrive edition so very rare 27 made...as an everyday car...newage honestly....car means more to me...classic def
Old 13 January 2012, 11:48 PM
the hamster
BANNED

ill be honest mate and say pretty much plucking numbers but by what you say i think ill be best to save up for a new age thanks for your help
What have you got at the moment? Looking at your pic I see a clean classic but does it have any mods?

Depending on what your budget is will depend on what you can achieve. A 350+ newage is likely to set you back 5k, whereas a 300bhp classic can be done for a lot less, especially if you have a good base car to work with.
Old 13 January 2012, 11:58 PM
camcap
Scooby Regular

What have you got at the moment? Looking at your pic I see a clean classic but does it have any mods?

Depending on what your budget is will depend on what you can achieve. A 350+ newage is likely to set you back 5k, whereas a 300bhp classic can be done for a lot less, especially if you have a good base car to work with.
Ye I have a 98 good running full service 72000 miles standard apart from 2.5" cat back vortex afterburner budget I guess around the £2000 mark
Old 14 January 2012, 12:19 AM
the hamster
BANNED

ok, to get it to a decent power level you've got plenty of options.

A VF series turbo will give you the power, something like a VF35, 34, 28 etc will see over 300bhp. (budget £250-400)

You'll need an uprated fuel pump and panel filter, plus a 3 port boost solenoid which will cost around £200 all in.

After this you can add a de-cat or sports cat down pipe from the turbo (around £60-100 2nd hand)

You'll then need a remap to support all the mods. The budget way is via ESL for £550 or you can buy a simtek and have that mapped for around £1000.

A decent clutch will also be needed if you've not got one.

Finally, if you're running 2 pot brakes then the minimum you want to do is upgrade to 4 pots + decent disks/pads. Budget about £250 for this.

You "should" be able to do this for 2k, and upgrade the car nicely without going mental.

If i'm honest, if you were to just add a filter, pump, 3 port, decat and remap to your car you'd be shocked at the difference, even on your standard TD04 it would be quite a car.

Quick Reply: just to help clear things up