Advice needed please

Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2011, 10:41 AM
scooby.steve555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed please

Hiya everyone.

New to the forum, Started my winter project the other day, bought a 98 WRX import with an engine knock, turns out to be a big end totally gone which didnt come as much of a surprise.

Anyway im going to go down the root of finding a doner car and swapping engine as i cant really afford to have a complete engine rebuild.

i was just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction on which engine to look out for, obviously a 98 wrx engine would be ideal but that doesnt give me much of a scope, will older engines fit as ive found a 94 wrx but its slightly different from what i can see in the pics and isnt as powerfull i believe, does this matter though as i realise i will have to put my manifold and turbo on the doner engine to match my ecu.

Someone also mentioned to me that my engine would probably be a closed deck block, bit unsure what this means tbh but i believe thats a good thing and if so i would want to find a closed deck block again would i not??? how do i know what engines are closed deck if this is the case?

Any help would be much appreciated guys, Thanks, Steve.
Old 14 December 2011, 11:28 AM
LEE-WRX
Scooby Regular

If you want an engine from a same year car, which i think is the best option, then keep your eye on the breaking section.

Your car doesnt have a cdb as standard fit, ra's and some wrx v-limited had the cdb, it was only early cars (92-95)

Hope that helps
Old 14 December 2011, 11:33 AM
TH3_5T1G
Scooby Regular

Location: Somewhere halfway between heaven and hell, some call it earth!

Originally Posted by scooby.steve555
Hiya everyone.

New to the forum, Started my winter project the other day, bought a 98 WRX import with an engine knock, turns out to be a big end totally gone which didnt come as much of a surprise.

Anyway im going to go down the root of finding a doner car and swapping engine as i cant really afford to have a complete engine rebuild.

i was just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction on which engine to look out for, obviously a 98 wrx engine would be ideal but that doesnt give me much of a scope, will older engines fit as ive found a 94 wrx but its slightly different from what i can see in the pics and isnt as powerfull i believe, does this matter though as i realise i will have to put my manifold and turbo on the doner engine to match my ecu.

Someone also mentioned to me that my engine would probably be a closed deck block, bit unsure what this means tbh but i believe thats a good thing and if so i would want to find a closed deck block again would i not??? how do i know what engines are closed deck if this is the case?

Any help would be much appreciated guys, Thanks, Steve.
Why not just buy a newage Sti shortblock? Have been run at just over 500hp on a few cars and over 450 on many without any issues. Far cheaper then paying for a full rebuild.

Closed deck block is the strongest block but i've never heard of anyone having issues running high power on a 2.0 semi closed deck block. Iirc, a 98 wrx does not have a closed deck block, but an open deck block.

I'm selling a newage sti bottom end by the way, 50,253 miles, only removed as fitted an EJ22
Old 14 December 2011, 11:47 AM
scooby.steve555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TH3_5T1G
Why not just buy a newage Sti shortblock? Have been run at just over 500hp on a few cars and over 450 on many without any issues. Far cheaper then paying for a full rebuild.

Closed deck block is the strongest block but i've never heard of anyone having issues running high power on a 2.0 semi closed deck block. Iirc, a 98 wrx does not have a closed deck block, but an open deck block.

I'm selling a newage sti bottom end by the way, 50,253 miles, only removed as fitted an EJ22

What would be involved with getting a newage sti shortblock, would it be a case of bolting my manifold and turbo etc to that block and away i go or what? would the heads come with that or would mine bolt on to it? guessing the blocks are basically the same then and all the classic parts will bolt on to it.
How much would you be talking for that block then mate? and what comes with it?

Thanks for the reply