STI Wagon Tuning Options

Search this Thread

Old 28 October 2011, 02:54 PM
white noise
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question STI Wagon Tuning Options

Hi All,
Currently own a v5 sti wagon,had it about a year and i am now in a position to spend about 5k-6k on safe mods,
It has already got a 3" dec cat(futjizboro?) ,toyo sport up pipe,massive cone k/n induction(not cold fed,only in engine bay) and just had fitted a 4.7kg lightweight flywheel and excedy pink clutch 2 days ago,oh and it rides on prodrive 225/40/18 pff7's with drilled/grooved standard discs all round

So.............

What bits would i need to achieve about 340-360bhp (going to leave on standard 5speed box) not after over inflated pub figures,just safe usable power

1) Turbo ? ............ either tdo5 20g or vf22 or md321 range?
2) Injectors .......... 550's ?

3) Brakes ........... front/rear replaced or just front ? ksport/brembos/AP ?

4) 3 port boost solenoid ?
5) Suspension .......... currently on standard sti shocks/springs but would look at BC coilovers/XYZ/or equivalent adjustables

6) ........ remap....... Autotronic /Gems/ or others

Also not too bothered about L/C but would like A/L as a feature on the map,so turbo etc would have to be strong enough for the odd Anti lag!
Thats about it i can think of,if any of you guys could add to that or indeed make it better i would really appriciate your input
Finally would my budget do all this or what is the real costs!!
Not going to do the work until after christmas,so i have time to way up the pros/cons of ur help
Thanks in advance

Neil

Last edited by white noise; 29 October 2011 at 02:04 AM.
Old 28 October 2011, 03:18 PM
the hamster
BANNED

you already have a good start with the mods on it. To support this and get the power you're after is quite easy.

I would go for a VF34 turbo, 3 port solenoid, FMIC, Simtek ECU then spend the rest on suspension/brakes etc. This should see you safely around 340-360 as requested

If you decide to sell the sti shocks/springs keep me in mind as I need a set.
Old 28 October 2011, 03:37 PM
white noise
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the hamster
you already have a good start with the mods on it. To support this and get the power you're after is quite easy.

I would go for a VF34 turbo, 3 port solenoid, FMIC, Simtek ECU then spend the rest on suspension/brakes etc. This should see you safely around 340-360 as requested

If you decide to sell the sti shocks/springs keep me in mind as I need a set.

Cheers for that fella,
What sort of power would i need to keep my original TMIC as im not looking at chopping my white bumper up at the moment.
Also same question about my gearbox,what power/torque levels would be considered safe on standard 5 speed?
Finally,i would like to be different to the norm where it comes to ECU's so is it overkill to want Autotronic/Gems or would the supporting mods be wasted on my planned mods and stick to simtec or ecutek?

And watch out for mods been added,and gimme a shout about springs/shocks when the time is right no probs

Neil
Old 28 October 2011, 03:43 PM
scooby kid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

you can fit a sti 7,8,9 tmic which are good to 400bhp.
Old 28 October 2011, 03:59 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What's the main use - road or track?
Old 28 October 2011, 04:02 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How many miles on the engine?

What plans for the future with this car?
Old 28 October 2011, 04:55 PM
white noise
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bonesetter
What's the main use - road or track?
Mainly road use as daily driver ,plus odd track day
Old 28 October 2011, 05:00 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Sort the suspension out

BC Coil overs, Uprated rear anti roll bar and alloy drop links

then

K sport front brake upgrade and a rear disk and pad upgrade.

then

Some defi's to see what is going on, along with a Simtek from the likes of Bob Rawle or Simon (JGM) to eliminate the maf issue and get it running right, better throttle responsive etc

Depending on what is left then I wouldn't even address the "more power option" but more importantly with the remaining money book up some thing like a driving training day with someone like Andy Walsh or similar and a further track day to practice what you have learnt

Most people cant drive a 280bhp well set up impreza let alone one with 350bhp , don't waste the money on more power, get the car set up right first, learn how do drive it to the best of your ability then focus on more power

all my opinion but best of luck
Old 28 October 2011, 05:03 PM
white noise
Scooby Regular

It has 91000miles on clock ,but 57k was in KM
Old 28 October 2011, 05:26 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

People think you should get as much power out of these cars as possible then wonder when they go pop

Im with Stevie, do the suspension and brakes, you can stick with ecutek on a version 5, go for around 320bhp, its more than enough, the engine will start straining around 350bhp so you dont want to take it any further anyway, forget the big laggy turbo's like a 20G, stick with either a roller bearing type or a good sleeve bearing like a vf48.

If your going to go the track route then a KS3 and gauges are a must, you then have to think about your sump, a baffled one helps, then there is the issue of fuel starvation, that would need to be addressed, then look at the body work, not many version 5 sti's out there that dont need some work on those rear arches by now (and around the windscreen), so its an ongoing list of bits that you wont gain back at resale time.

Tony
Old 28 October 2011, 05:38 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

I would go for new turbo, vf34 is perfect, fuel pressure reg,and walbro fuel pump then you won't need to change your injectors,leave the top mount also.

Then open source remap,brembo fronts from ian at goodspeed with his discs.

Change the springs, slightly firmer and a small drop, anti-roll bar drop links and anti-lift kit and a geo set up,may need to change your wheels to some 04 wrx to accommodate the brembos,not sure on this but what ever you do don't fit 18's.

And a set of pro sport gauges.

that lot should cost around £2.5k. Then run it for a year and see if the engine holds out, if not you still have the cash to go 2.1 and the right turbo,and supporting mods, i would not bother with the simtec as you don't need an ecu for this level as yours is programable.

This way if it all goes **** up you have some cash in reserve, then you can think about ecu after a rebuild @ engine tuner 2.1 is £2600 inc vat
Old 28 October 2011, 08:25 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

I would be with the ditchmyster on the suspension recommendation. The spring/red damper set-up is superb on a scooby for fast B-road use. BC's would be a step backwards
Old 29 October 2011, 12:41 AM
white noise
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bonesetter
I would be with the ditchmyster on the suspension recommendation. The spring/red damper set-up is superb on a scooby for fast B-road use. BC's would be a step backwards

Do you mean the standard red dampers ?

Ditch...........i already have some gauges monitoring oil temp/pressure and boost in a 3 dash pod
i forgot about a walbro ! thanks
Will the vf34/35 be ok to run anti lag?
When you say that my ecu is programable,does that mean i dont need a simtek or ecutek to set anti lag just a RR session to program my original ecu?
Scooby Kid ........... thanks for that ,and is this a simple bolt off/on mod or is more needed?

Steve1982.............Those 2 options of ksports and BC's were on top of my list until someone said they are a step backwards????? and its a good idea about track training however at over 40yrs old and owned 10+ other hot hatches(rs cosworth,mg maestro turbo,3.1L capri mg zt180, rs mexico,rs turbo etc) ive learnt the hard way LOL!!! but will bear that in mind, where is Andy Walsh based?
Tony.......... Thanks for your input and to mention im not after the maxed out figures of any mods,just safe useabilitly,and thinking about it,i have decided that this car aint going to do track days its way too clean! ,just road use. So baffled sumps and swirl pots wont be needed now !
Also not knowing my turbos correctly ,isnt a vf48 a twin scroll??? that needs a new up pipe to suit? Is the vf22 or another one better suited if you say the 20g is quite laggy?

I think most of you that have given me advice,have all mentioned something that needs doing firstly before engine mods,and thats brakes and suspension,these will done before engine mods now as
being able to stop and go round corners is more important than 1000bhp!
Finally ,up to now, all arches and above the windscreen are perfect and show no sign of rust . i must have a good one!!!!

Thanks for the comments so far,keep them coming !
Neil

Last edited by white noise; 29 October 2011 at 01:24 AM.
Old 29 October 2011, 12:58 AM
the hamster
BANNED

Originally Posted by white noise
When you say that my ecu is programable,does that mean i dont need a simtek or ecutek to set anti lag just a RR session to program my original ecu?
Can I ask why the turbo shredding anti-lag is so important? Anti-lag on a VF turbo isnt really recommended, unless you like to keep a spare handy. Do a search on here to see how many people have wrecked turbo's using anti-lag on a basic setup. If you're going for a stronger turbo then you can run anti-lag and launch control, but only on an aftermarket ECU, as far as i'm aware.

If yours is a V5 (98/99) then you "may" be able to get away with an Ecutek map on your current ecu but some of the 97/98 ecu's cant be mapped easily and if you're not going mad on power then most go for a Simtek or Apexi ecu to overcome this problem.

With the budget you have, based on you having a clean straight car with a few upgrades like you've described then you really need to look at what your long term goal is as, if you pump this sort of money into a 12 year old car you're never going to get it back.

If, on the other hand, you want a 6 speed, 340 bhp, 6 pot shod, perfect handling wagon with Whiteline Arb's, anti-lift etc etc then go for it and enjoy
Old 29 October 2011, 01:17 AM
white noise
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the hamster
Can I ask why the turbo shredding anti-lag is so important? Anti-lag on a VF turbo isnt really recommended, unless you like to keep a spare handy. Do a search on here to see how many people have wrecked turbo's using anti-lag on a basic setup. If you're going for a stronger turbo then you can run anti-lag and launch control, but only on an aftermarket ECU, as far as i'm aware.

If yours is a V5 (98/99) then you "may" be able to get away with an Ecutek map on your current ecu but some of the 97/98 ecu's cant be mapped easily and if you're not going mad on power then most go for a Simtek or Apexi ecu to overcome this problem.

With the budget you have, based on you having a clean straight car with a few upgrades like you've described then you really need to look at what your long term goal is as, if you pump this sort of money into a 12 year old car you're never going to get it back.

If, on the other hand, you want a 6 speed, 340 bhp, 6 pot shod, perfect handling wagon with Whiteline Arb's, anti-lift etc etc then go for it and enjoy
I agree on what u say about not chasing massive power gains,and dont get me wrong i would love a 6 speed,340bhp,6 pot perfect handling wagon and would gladly get the supporting mods
but know by looking on here at the scoobs for sale,that massive mods and massive power levels are not at the moment commanding massive money and what we as scoob owners loose sight of sometimes is you never get back in re-sale what u put into them when tunning.

That was my dilema,either combine the 6k and sell mine for somethng newer or keep mine and spend it on mods etc,but with it been a very clean white sti wagon im swaying towards keeping her and spending money on her!
Your right about mine been a v5 1999,but was told that i cannot have an Apexi due to mine being a newer model (coil pack to the right if stood infront of car) but either way i dont mind spending on a completey new ecu (simtek ,ecutek or others)
I think the thing that made me want anti lag was last weekend on the ESC Tunnel run in London!!! I look at it like a dump valve,its a novelty and something i love hearing,thats why i want to spend on a strong enough turbo to withstand the grief it gets from anti lag on the odd occasion
Plus spending this money on my car ,im not planning on getting rid for a long time
Neil
Old 29 October 2011, 01:53 AM
GIB
Scooby Newbie

Hi Neil,
as I said before just get Simon(JGM) to map in the pops. You heard mine popping in Limehouse Link and there's no grief to the turbo. Eveytime I shut off the throttle it pops like a good un.
Old 29 October 2011, 02:01 AM
white noise
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GIB
Hi Neil,
as I said before just get Simon(JGM) to map in the pops. You heard mine popping in Limehouse Link and there's no grief to the turbo. Eveytime I shut off the throttle it pops like a good un.
Hiya Mate,

Yeah yours sounded how i want mine to sound !! Yours if im correct is a TD05 20G ?
So i take it these turbos are strong enough for the anti lag used not every day?
And do u find them laggy and feel like an asthmatic blowing into the engine until it gets going!!!
What injectors are u running?

Neil
Old 29 October 2011, 04:00 AM
GIB
Scooby Newbie

Hiya Mate,

Yeah yours sounded how i want mine to sound !! Yours if im correct is a TD05 20G ?
So i take it these turbos are strong enough for the anti lag used not every day?
And do u find them laggy and feel like an asthmatic blowing into the engine until it gets going!!!
What injectors are u running?

Neil

Yeh mines a 20g and I don't know how good they are with anti lag. I didn't want to risk it so I got Simon to map in the pops and bangs. Now it pops like you heard it very time I drive it. I have no lag at all and that's why I stayed with the STi tmic instead of going for a fmic.
Colin

Last edited by GIB; 29 October 2011 at 04:01 AM. Reason: Standard injectors
Old 29 October 2011, 06:02 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As said by tony earlier I would opt for 340 bhp to save the gearbox. A td05 16g is as tough a turbo as they come and with good supporting mods can achieve those figures. A simtek ecu will give you A/L if that is what you want, and then it's just a case of sorting out your brakes & suspension imho. I have a My00 uk wagon and running 330bhp on ecutek(no a/l) with prodrive suspension(£1800 option) & tarox gc8 discs + supporting mods which cost me under 2k. Car pops & bangs in all gears bar 1st and can be used everyday if needed.
If your looking at spending 5-6k(price of another v6 sti wagon) make sure you check out somebody like Andy forrest who will be able to possibly sell you some parts you require and give you good sound advice on what to buy. Also worth contacting Bob Rawle or JGM for sound advice imho.
Old 29 October 2011, 07:58 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

OE (not KYB aftermarket) 'late' V5/6 red/pink coloured monotubed inverted dampers (pictured here with Prodrive springs, as on the P1)

I have 331bhp in a classic for road use and it is ample

Last edited by bonesetter; 29 October 2011 at 08:16 AM.
Old 29 October 2011, 10:05 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Had the kyb set up with p1 springs along with up rated rear anti roll bar and alloys drop links oh and something I forgot to mention an anti lift kit and it was a good set up for everyday use.

Not sure how a set of k sports would be a step backwards!!!!! I must be missing something.

Also if you are running a cone filter I would personally fit a simtek or similar after market ecu as to remove the issue running a Induction kit along with the MAF as it can cause it to fail and I'm sure most mappers would say the same, it doesn't have to be done but is advisable.

Also a sneaky little fmic is always a nice idea
Old 29 October 2011, 10:46 AM
Berks-Jack
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevie1982
Not sure how a set of k sports would be a step backwards!!!!! I must be missing something.
I think the step backwards comment was referring to the BC's rather than tweaking the existing STI suspension set up with lower springs.
Old 29 October 2011, 11:24 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

I run a vf34 it's a ball bearing turbo and as such is fast spooling, for this level of tune it is perfect, i think most will agree it's one of the best sub 400 turbo's available, i also run a top mount and the pick up is instant no lag what so ever, i also run a simtec but thats only because my ecu was not programable.

I also have anti lag and was not aware that this could be a problem, i think maybe not with this turbo.

I did have 18's which i put on with a view to fitting a set of ap's but it compleatly fecked the ride and handling, and made it skittish jumpy and tramline central, and did i mention the ride was bloody horrible for a daily driver, you around my age and some of your car history is similar to mine so i suspect you can drive a bit and know it's more about finness than power and when the testosterone levels come down us old boys don't feel the need to prove anything just enjoy our cars safely.

I use the standard 4 pots with godspeed discs and ebc blue stuff along with standard wheels, and when they can't take anymore which does not take very long, i just slow down and switch attack mode off for 10 mins which i like as it stops me from thinking i'm colin doing a tarmac stage but that said it does require some propper hard driving to smoke them.

I think that as others said anywhere around 300/330 bhp is cracking on these cars and when well set up they are more than most can really handle, yeh sure everyone thinks they can drive (me included) but more often than not find the limits of our ability, and to be honest the road is not really the place for a 400+bhp hard as nails missile to be at full chat.

I wouldn't rush and spunk 6k on mods as it's really not required for what i think you are after, stay away from coilovers as your suzy is good and if your not going to regularly track it then its a bit over kill same with the big brakes, it's £2k in the wrong direction.

The engine is getting on a bit and it would be wise to prepare for the worst as with the gear box and then consider where you want to take it after that, if it's a nice one just keep it and enjoy it as it was intended to be with slight improvements, as you won't find anything better and will not get your money back, and when it feels slow buy a nissan micra and drive that for a week, it's much cheaper than 500bhp
Old 29 October 2011, 04:42 PM
white noise
Scooby Regular

QUOTE=ditchmyster;10305107]I run a vf34 it's a ball bearing turbo and as such is fast spooling, for this level of tune it is perfect, i think most will agree it's one of the best sub 400 turbo's available, i also run a top mount and the pick up is instant no lag what so ever, i also run a simtec but thats only because my ecu was not programable.

I also have anti lag and was not aware that this could be a problem, i think maybe not with this turbo.

I did have 18's which i put on with a view to fitting a set of ap's but it compleatly fecked the ride and handling, and made it skittish jumpy and tramline central, and did i mention the ride was bloody horrible for a daily driver, you around my age and some of your car history is similar to mine so i suspect you can drive a bit and know it's more about finness than power and when the testosterone levels come down us old boys don't feel the need to prove anything just enjoy our cars safely.

I use the standard 4 pots with godspeed discs and ebc blue stuff along with standard wheels, and when they can't take anymore which does not take very long, i just slow down and switch attack mode off for 10 mins which i like as it stops me from thinking i'm colin doing a tarmac stage but that said it does require some propper hard driving to smoke them.

I think that as others said anywhere around 300/330 bhp is cracking on these cars and when well set up they are more than most can really handle, yeh sure everyone thinks they can drive (me included) but more often than not find the limits of our ability, and to be honest the road is not really the place for a 400+bhp hard as nails missile to be at full chat.

I wouldn't rush and spunk 6k on mods as it's really not required for what i think you are after, stay away from coilovers as your suzy is good and if your not going to regularly track it then its a bit over kill same with the big brakes, it's £2k in the wrong direction.

The engine is getting on a bit and it would be wise to prepare for the worst as with the gear box and then consider where you want to take it after that, if it's a nice one just keep it and enjoy it as it was intended to be with slight improvements, as you won't find anything better and will not get your money back, and when it feels slow buy a nissan micra and drive that for a week, it's much cheaper than 500bhp[/QUOTE]

Cracking explanation!!! And get where your coming from, and assuming my wife doesn't read this and guesses I've "spent" 6k next year , but in realality only spent 3-4k and saved the rest for a stroker or 6 speed!
The micra comment is sooooo true (wife drives a 1.0L auto micra,so can really appriciate slowwwwwness !)
In practise I like the vf28's whine as it spools up/down with also being ball bearing , so vf34/35 ported or not is the natural progression I think and seem strong enough for what I'm planning.
Also I emailed Ian reguarding his disc/pad set up and prices for mine seen the 330 4 pot kit looks good price but don't think the new orange stuff pads will be ok for mine ! Lol
I think that with new brakes and with or without suzy my 18" P1 wheels days might be numbered!
My car history included going backwards thro a hedge in a 3.1 bullet capri and aqua planning in my cosworth on the M1 at not legal speeds !!! U live and learn,thankfully as u say now I enjoy 0-60 and handling rather than mad,unsafe stupid driving !
Cheers for the recomendations etc and will keep u posted on my money spending exploits!!!
Neil
Ps Jamie still fancy a classic wagon ??lol
Old 29 October 2011, 08:17 PM
Berks-Jack
Scooby Regular

Lol if you want to lob 6k worth of bits on it and still sell it to me at our agreed price then, yes please
Old 29 October 2011, 08:29 PM
white noise
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Berks-Jack
Lol if you want to lob 6k worth of bits on it and still sell it to me at our agreed price then, yes please
Lol ,Agreed ???? Lol

I think its your turn on the funny ****!!!!
If I spend money on mine,she won't be sale for a while!
Unless i see another newer one, with a few mods u might still get her ;-)
Old 29 October 2011, 08:37 PM
Berks-Jack
Scooby Regular

Lol ,Agreed ???? Lol

I think its your turn on the funny ****!!!!
If I spend money on mine,she won't be sale for a while!
Unless i see another newer one, with a few mods u might still get her ;-)
Yep agreed at 4k remember , I'm still willing to accept the deal