Sponsored by:

Dunc @ Racedynamix - Proper Legend

Search this Thread

Old 26 August 2011, 06:26 PM
the hamster
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dunc @ Racedynamix - Proper Legend

We had Emma's 2001 Bugeye lined up for Dunc to map yesterday but he was having a nightmare on another job and it made him late for ours (6 hours). Luckily we had no plans so were happy to wait, problem for Dunc was, he arrived at 10pm!!

Despite this he still fitted a 3 port we supplied and restrictor pill then took Emma out for a road mapping session which took nearly 2 hours.

She came back grinning from ear to ear, the master had worked his magic

He transformed the car (bugeye WRX, full de-cat system, 3 port, panel filter, Walbro) and the midrange power is superb.

Despite doing the extra work of the pill and 3 port he was still going to only charge the £350 map fee but Emma was so happy she gave him an extra tenner.

The bloke is a proper legend, he answers any questions and explains everything you want to know, talks about future mods etc and gives great advice.

Just wish he could do ECUtek coz I know where my Classic would be going.

Keep up the good work chap, big thumbs up from Emma and Stu

Old 26 August 2011, 06:38 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Sounds excellent mate.

at £350 for a couple off hours work with a laptop I would be pleased to answer any off your questions as well !!

any idea off your new BHP figure ??
Old 26 August 2011, 06:43 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jono300
at £350 for a couple off hours work with a laptop I would be pleased to answer
If it were that simple why doesn't everyone just plug their laptop into the cigarette lighter socket, press the "tune up me subaru" button & not forgetting the "pops & bangs" button & do it themselves in 5 mins!!
Old 26 August 2011, 06:48 PM
the hamster
BANNED

not sure of the figures as it was a road map but we estimated 265bhp as it was mapped on 95 RON fuel.

future mods may be a VF turbo (23/28/35), sti up pipe and full induction kit but Emma says she's happy (for now!).

Off to a Scoobyworld open day in October so will get figures then, if not before.
Old 26 August 2011, 06:48 PM
leecalcars
Scooby Regular

Cant wait for my second sitting with duncan wont be long, as mentioned top chap !!!!
Old 26 August 2011, 06:57 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rickya
If it were that simple why doesn't everyone just plug their laptop into the cigarette lighter socket, press the "tune up me subaru" button & not forgetting the "pops & bangs" button & do it themselves in 5 mins!!
Bit touchy are we not ??!! no one said it was easy, its an art that most are willing to pay. I think if mappers suddenly started just charging £100 then folk would be a bit wary !!

as has been pointed out before a rebuild is a lot more expensive than paying for a proper remap from a reputable chap .

so again no no one is saying its simple merly pointed out that at for someone with the tech knowledge / expertise that duncan obviously has £350 for a couple off hours work must be nice !!

good on him, I say.
Old 26 August 2011, 07:05 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the hamster
not sure of the figures as it was a road map but we estimated 265bhp as it was mapped on 95 RON fuel.

future mods may be a VF turbo (23/28/35), sti up pipe and full induction kit but Emma says she's happy (for now!).

Off to a Scoobyworld open day in October so will get figures then, if not before.
Would have thought it would surely have been a bit more than 265BHP with a full decat etc ? thought 275 /280 with a full decat etc was more the norm on the wrx ?? appreciatte that each car can be different but just the other night read that JGM achieved 280BHP on a newage wrx with just a catback and filter, didsay this was very rare but suppose its al about overall drivablty as opposed to end numbers and obviously this was the safe limit duncan ovbiously thought he could take your particular car to.

you say 95RON fuel, bit confused by this ?? does this cause a much lower BHP output and if so why get it mapped with such fuel as opposed to the likes off V POWER etc ??
Old 26 August 2011, 07:11 PM
the hamster
BANNED

You're not just paying for a remap, you're paying for piece of mind too. He has to listen to every rpm of the engine in every gear through the det-cans to finely tune the car. Everything has to be synchronised, air, fuel, spark etc to give optimum performance plus reliability.

I think all mappers are good at what they do and considering what you pay, the results are worth every penny
Old 26 August 2011, 07:15 PM
the hamster
BANNED

you say 95RON fuel, bit confused by this ?? does this cause a much lower BHP output and if so why get it mapped with such fuel as opposed to the likes off V POWER etc ??
Yes mate, considerably lower on a mapped car. I would have expected 280bhp/290lb/ft on 99 or Vpower but we estimate it lost around 15bhp running on 95.

My Classic is running 337/300 on Vpower but I want it mapped for 95 as its a 30 mile round trip for the nearest Shell/Tesco. Most of the mappers said they "might" be able to get me 300/300 but couldnt swear to it, so fuel does make a BIG difference.
Old 26 August 2011, 08:44 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=the hamster;10206118]You're not just paying for a remap, you're paying for piece of mind too. He has to listen to every rpm of the engine in every gear through the det-cans to finely tune the car. Everything has to be synchronised, air, fuel, spark etc to give optimum performance plus reliability.

Which is why I said regards his knowledge / expertise on the subject in my original reply !! its like a tattoo artist charges what anything from £40 an hour upwards ?? there cant be too many off us on here earning anything near half this amount and yet the good guys have a waitting list off months ahead off folk willing to pay them this fee, its not the inks that are so expensive its the guys skill you are paying for which is much like engine mappers, the os software is free so apart from there travelling expenses the rest is there own and this is there reward for earning the knowlege and skill that the rest off us dont have the slightest clue about !!

going back to my original post all I said was must be nice earning this type off money for a couple of hours work- still disagree ??!!
Old 26 August 2011, 08:56 PM
morpheus1870
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Duncan is a top chap did my sti a few weeks back after being held up by another job also. Only a couple hours late though as opposed to 6 but was still worth the wait. Glad you happy with the results!
Old 26 August 2011, 08:59 PM
Steve1956
Scooby Regular

You're not just paying for a remap, you're paying for piece of mind too. He has to listen to every rpm of the engine in every gear through the det-cans to finely tune the car. Everything has to be synchronised, air, fuel, spark etc to give optimum performance plus reliability.

I think all mappers are good at what they do and considering what you pay, the results are worth every penny
You're not wrong - Duncan is THE master mapper and worth every penny
Old 26 August 2011, 09:01 PM
the hamster
BANNED

going back to my original post all I said was must be nice earning this type off money for a couple of hours work- still disagree ??!!
I run my own business and I get this all the time, people who think that what they pay is way you earn.

IT DONT WORK LIKE THAT!

You have insurances, liability, equipment, vehicle maintenance, travel expenses, advertising etc etc BEFORE you do a single job. The phone might not ring for a week and these bills still need paying. Yeah he proberbly earns a nice living, so instead of being jealous about it why dont you start up yourself then sit back and enjoy the good life.

Last edited by the hamster; 26 August 2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old 26 August 2011, 09:03 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rickya
Not laptop but something like Cobb AccessPORT will do this job nicely,yes is just something which is not available at moment for Subaru here in UK,but maybe will be available.

http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/?id=4505

In USA is very popular,but still think its not proper remap which can do only mapper and will squeeze from engine maximum and safe bhp,but anyway great gadget which is best like nothing(in this i mean remap) and cost in USA $595.

Jura
Old 26 August 2011, 09:21 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

I run my own business and I get this all the time, people who think that what they pay is way you earn.

IT DONT WORK LIKE THAT!

You have insurances, liability, equipment, vehicle maintenance, travel expenses, advertising etc etc BEFORE you do a single job. The phone might not ring for a week and these bills still need paying. Yeah he proberbly earns a nice living, so instead of being jealous about it why dont you start up yourself then sit back and enjoy the good life.
Hang on just now mate who mentioned being jealous ?? I think if you re read my replies in one I said quote "so again no no one is saying its simple merly pointed out that at for someone with the tech knowledge / expertise that duncan obviously has £350 for a couple off hours work must be nice !!

good on him, I say.

Dont see where jealousy comes into it ??

sorry yes you have insurances / liabilty which I take it in itself wont be cheap ??.

advertising ?? in the case off engine mapping 99 % word off mouth would imagine ??

phone not ringing for a week ?? - have you tried to get a date for a remapp lately, think you will find these guys are booked up solid.

again good on them for earning the knowledge / expertise to gain a job that pays well for what they must enjoy.

end off story !!
Old 26 August 2011, 09:29 PM
the hamster
BANNED

The tone in your original post says it all chap, and i'm not the only one who's commented on it.

Oh, and clearly if you think that 99% of work comes from recommendation and you dont have advertising costs then clearly you dont have a clue.

I'm sure someone will be along to fill in the blanks on what it costs to run a mapping business.

Last edited by the hamster; 26 August 2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old 26 August 2011, 09:39 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

The tone in your original post says it all chap, and i'm not the only one who's commented on it.
whatever mate !! tone off my original post ?? did not know that you could tell a tone from a post ??!!

not trying to get into an argument mate been around too long and prefer just to discuss it which after all is what these very forums are all about are they not ?? if I were closer to duncan I would be getting him to map my car and would be happy to pay this upon his many recommendations alone, was in discussion with duncan myself just last week via PM to see when he would be next up here with regards mapping my car so dont advise me regards the tone off my original post !!

Last edited by jono300; 26 August 2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old 26 August 2011, 11:28 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Duncan mapped my car a couple of weeks past, and did a fantastic job
Old 27 August 2011, 03:43 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cheers stu and Emma and the others

I tKe the point on it being a couple of hours but this doesn't include lots of time before on the phone or emails or texts or travel or questions and ongoing future advise or help. Still, not a bad wage but thank goodness I am not ecutek else the hourly rate would be a lot more.
Old 27 August 2011, 04:22 PM
the hamster
BANNED

Nice one Dunc, hopefully you can pop back for a checkup next week, think Emma rang you earlier
Old 27 August 2011, 04:32 PM
smeganator
Scooby Newbie

Default Duncan@racedynamix

Duncan remaped my car for me a couple of weeks ago.
Awsome guy,and wow! I think that says it all! havnt stoped grinning!

jason

Last edited by smeganator; 27 August 2011 at 04:34 PM.