Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are scoobies still fast or is it my car?

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2011, 01:59 AM
TylerDurden
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are scoobies still fast or is it my car?

Guys, I need some advice, I have a jdm bug sti, still standard apart from a cat back and a panel filter.

Car does have some handling mods which are, front and rear arbs,22mm and 24 mm, alk, droplinks all round, and apex coilovers set to sixteen all round.

Every couple of days for the last few weeks, I have come across some nice german exotica, specificall Mercs and Audi's (all on private track of course).

Today an S3, but my car isnt really pi$$ing over these cars, they are competing very very well.

I dont know if its my crap driving (probably does have something to do with it, but Im not the worst driver), if there is something wrong with my car, or I need to start modding the engine asap.

Ive noticed when im on boost in sixth, the distance between both car's doesnt increase, and quite often we get up to speeds around 120/130mph.

I have thought I should drop down to fourth, but it is a bit scarey taking a han off the wheel and changing gear at over a 100mph, although I am practising.

Earlier on today, a guy in a S3 goaded me into racing, he did some really stupid stuff like throwing a plastic bag out of the window so it come on my windscreen, over taking on blind bends in the face of on coming traffic etc, so I backed off and decided this just isnt worth it.

Anyway, his car seemed to go round round abouts quite a bit better than mine, I feel there is still too much body roll, the coilovers dont seem to have improved the handling a great deal, there is less roll, but very bouncy/bumpy.

My car just does not pull away the way I was hoping it would.

Last time I had the car on a dyno she made 282 bhp, but this was with an air filter that was totally black (only had the car a few weeks, then changed to panel filter).

Im at a loss now as to what to do, Im not sure what else to do with the handling mods.

The coilovers seem to work best at 80mph, and I think I went with the wrong tyres for the bug (Toyo T1r).

Do you guys have any advice, or similar experiences?

I am planning to to go out on track with an instructor, to get some more high speed experience, but through out all this I went home and felt "his car is just as good as mine, handling well with out coilovers etc", when the boost kicks in the front no longer rises up, probably because of the coilovers, but the car feels a bit boring now, (or Im used to it).
Old 03 June 2011, 05:34 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

IMHO, you should probably save it for the track.

You sound a bit mental to be honest, some bloke chucks a bag out his window and you felt like you had to show him that your car is faster?

Are you 18 ?

Last edited by StickyMicky; 03 June 2011 at 05:36 AM.
Old 03 June 2011, 05:44 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Tut , tut..

Dude do you want to kill yourself ? or worse still some poor innocent bystander.

Racing will get you jail time.

OK we have all had a little play now and then but sounds to me like your making a bit of a habit of it.

Save it for the track mate or when your alone on back lanes, and stick to more sensible speeds, doing 130 on normal roads while racing some idiot thats throwing plastic bags out the window and doing the other stuff you mention is plane stupid.

Even if you don"t crash but he does you will go to jail as well..Fact.

Sounds like you need the tuition as well, because if your afraid to take your hand off the wheel at a ton in a newage with 280bhp then it's better you don't get anymore power before you get some track time.

As regards the handling have you had a geo set up done?

Audi S3 is no slouch, a well set up one that has been tweeked with a driver that knows what he is doing is not a soft touch..

I'd put my flame suit on if i were you as some of the boys on here are about to burn you!!!!!!!!!! You naughty, naughty little boy
Old 03 June 2011, 05:56 AM
Camoscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Tut , tut..

Dude do you want to kill yourself ? or worse still some poor innocent bystander.

Racing will get you jail time.

OK we have all had a little play now and then but sounds to me like your making a bit of a habit of it.

Save it for the track mate or when your alone on back lanes, and stick to more sensible speeds, doing 130 on normal roads while racing some idiot thats throwing plastic bags out the window and doing the other stuff you mention is plane stupid.

Even if you don"t crash but he does you will go to jail as well..Fact.

Sounds like you need the tuition as well, because if your afraid to take your hand off the wheel at a ton in a newage with 280bhp then it's better you don't get anymore power before you get some track time.

As regards the handling have you had a geo set up done?

Audi S3 is no slouch, a well set up one that has been tweeked with a driver that knows what he is doing is not a soft touch..

I'd put my flame suit on if i were you as some of the boys on here are about to burn you!!!!!!!!!! You naughty, naughty little boy
^^^^^ What he said

You've made yourself sound a bit of a chump TBH
Old 03 June 2011, 06:02 AM
westallc
Scooby Regular

dont get it what makes you think you will be quicker than the above cars????

audi s3 mapped will be 260 to 270 stage 1 and with haldex 4x4 system!!!
new bmw and mercs = silly power

maybe you need to realise just because you have a scooby doesnt mean its the quickest car on the road lol
Old 03 June 2011, 07:41 AM
topman2180
Scooby Regular

you say private track then you say roundabouts blind bends and cars coming the other way are you sure its a private track?

282bhp was probably consider fast 10 years ago when the p1 was in its prime and 300BHP was a benchmark

today when BMW M3 AUDI RS4 and MERc c63 cosworth impreza all run around 400BHP+ you probably find 400BHP+ is the new standard.

used impreza's pound for pound still give you lots of bhp for the money ,are they considered fast compared to todays high performance cars in the standard format probably not.
Old 03 June 2011, 08:37 AM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

Everything they said above, but if you are on a track, tyre and wheel size will make a difference to handling as will driving experience.
Old 03 June 2011, 08:40 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

has to be a wind up...surely nobody is that dumb?
Old 03 June 2011, 08:42 AM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Oh dear, here we go again....
Old 03 June 2011, 08:45 AM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by trails
has to be a wind up...
A few years ago id of said yes but we are now in 2011, the year of the tarmac terrorist...a year where these threads seem to pop up once a week.
Old 03 June 2011, 08:54 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jayallen
A few years ago id of said yes but we are now in 2011, the year of the tarmac terrorist...a year where these threads seem to pop up once a week.
only really spend time in the Projects area so not noticed...it's either a wind up or a Darwin Award wannabe...
Old 03 June 2011, 08:55 AM
ANDY597
Scooby Regular

My advice would be to take a chill 280 is quite enough

If your bricking it at 100 mph to change gear then you need to re-evaluate your driving skills.

Young lad minus driving skills plus 280bhp = on your roof

If you on the track, spend the time learning about braking, racing lines, exit points, vanishing points of a corner. Sounds like your just trying to hammer it all the time.

Or stick to playing gran torismo, as at the moment your on pace to becoming a statistic.
Old 03 June 2011, 09:03 AM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

i agree with what you are alll saying about driving like a **** but then we all have the odd time when we have a play with some other car and if any of you say you dont then you are lying through your teeth, and as for a 280bhp scooby they are still a quick car for most things on the road and for the money you by a new one for there is not much out there that will give the same bang for buck but i would say to this chap do take some serious driving lession and also watch the vidoe of people getting cut out of there car and some not making full stop just be carefull,
Old 03 June 2011, 09:11 AM
YE5 1 SUB
Scooby Regular

tbh you need to be able to handle the car
it,ll take years and hours to get to grips with a car and coilovers dont mean it will handle better all the time,it,ll skit and bounce more on country roads causing you issues?
4wd on the twisty,s should be a hard car to beat with 280 bhp.
i know of only a few people who can out drive there cars and that takes alot of time and effort.but not on public roads where the innocent become the victim.

book a track day and let your anger out then and you will appriciate the public roads?

it also takes alot of patience to let these morons try to intimidate you
be the bigger man and let them be the dick?

a good driver with 280 bhp is far better and faster than a numpty with 400bhp

Last edited by YE5 1 SUB; 03 June 2011 at 09:26 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03 June 2011, 09:15 AM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

as above words of wisdom
Old 03 June 2011, 09:16 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Fact is that 280 bhp in a bug really isn't that much in this day and age. Having said that, it's about 180bhp more than you should have buddy.

No disrespect meant, but take some lessons before driving fast on the roads. Quick blasts can be done safely if you know what your doing but racing will only end one way. Especially when you take the bait against people who have no problem throwing stuff out and onto your car.
Old 03 June 2011, 10:00 AM
fiveskin
Scooby Regular

Just sticking on some rock hard coilovers doesn't make it handle better. In fact on our ropey roads I imagine its skits about all over the place which is what you probably mean by the bumps.
Theres so many other mods to do suspension wise before you hit coilovers. And even then you're not really using them unless you're tracking it.
Do it in stages so you build up the feel. You say you're on 282, I'm on 300 and haven't got coilovers. Good geo set up is sometimes enough to give you more confidence.

Toyo's don't grip until 80? What?! What bends do you regularly hit at 80 on a public road?

I really hope this is a wind up and not a metalist. I had someone in a RS focus drive behind me like something from the film THE DUEL the other day and over take me on a blind bend in residential area.....because I didn't notice the lights went green further back and they had to hoot me......worrying people go that mental for that sort of thing.
Maybe this bloke through a Bag out because you were driving inside his boot for miles?
Old 03 June 2011, 10:44 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

I seriously hope the Police get wind of this.
People like you should be banged up.
Put your **** away and drive normally.
Old 03 June 2011, 10:56 AM
YE5 1 SUB
Scooby Regular

on a seriuos note can i ask your age?
Old 03 June 2011, 10:57 AM
alloy
Scooby Regular

282 bhp is your problem......get that nearer 400 and you're sucking on the right tit then!
Old 03 June 2011, 10:59 AM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gear Head
I seriously hope the Police get wind of this.
People like you should be banged up.
Put your **** away and drive normally.
A confession isn't convictable, there has to be evidence

We have all had a spirited drive before, time to dis-mount from your high horses!
Old 03 June 2011, 11:00 AM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ANDY597
My advice would be to take a chill 280 is quite enough

If your bricking it at 100 mph to change gear then you need to re-evaluate your driving skills.

Young lad minus driving skills plus 280bhp = on your roof

If you on the track, spend the time learning about braking, racing lines, exit points, vanishing points of a corner. Sounds like your just trying to hammer it all the time.

Or stick to playing gran torismo, as at the moment your on pace to becoming a statistic.
+1
Old 03 June 2011, 11:07 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alloy
A confession isn't convictable, there has to be evidence

We have all had a spirited drive before, time to dis-mount from your high horses!
When I was younger I admit, I was a bit stupid and was easily baited. But I would never 'race' above 100mph. If the other car wanted to go faster then good for them.
Racing to 130mph on the public roads is absolutely stupid. The driver obviously has no regard for other road users.
Old 03 June 2011, 11:39 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gear Head
When I was younger I admit, I was a bit stupid and was easily baited. But I would never 'race' above 100mph. If the other car wanted to go faster then good for them.
Racing to 130mph on the public roads is absolutely stupid. The driver obviously has no regard for other road users.
i think the work race is a little emotive...certainly not something to advertise on t'interweb. Most people have engaged in friendly spirited drive with different marques...those that haven't probably should have brought a diesel

We all know 130mph is going to get you a custodial sentence in these days f screwed priorities but 130mph is ever so easily accessible above a certain level of tune
Old 03 June 2011, 11:42 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

And using your name as your username makes it far easier to identify you as well .

****!
Old 03 June 2011, 12:02 PM
Benji554
Scooby Regular

You haven't seen 'Fight Club' then?
Old 03 June 2011, 12:10 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Benji554
You haven't seen 'Fight Club' then?
No I haven't. But I believe it's about pikey fighters.
Old 03 June 2011, 12:12 PM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
No I haven't. But I believe it's about pikey fighters.
You couldn't be more wrong.
Old 03 June 2011, 12:38 PM
barnshaw
Scooby Regular

put it this way, if your car is 280 bhp , put into consideration transmission loss,

an S3 is 225bhp standard is it not? simple remap may take it upto 250bhp so performance wise will probably be nothing in it
Old 03 June 2011, 12:39 PM
TylerDurden
Scooby Regular

I did say I backed off, not once did I say I went with him when he was doing stupid stuff.

Im not going to pull out at 80mph, on a blind bend,in the face of oncoming traffic and cause a crash.

He was, I stayed stuck behind a truck and overtook when the road was clear.

When he was throwing stuff out of the window I wanted to chase him and smack him in the face. But I chose to back off.

Im not that stupid, but when some one is 2 feet away from your back bumper for 10 miles, then overtakes you and pulls in forcing me to stamp on the brakes, and then for the next 5 miles slowing down to a snail's pace and speeding up, how are you going to react?

When somebody does this to you, and pisses you right off, no one here is going to act like Jesus, sorry,but I dont have enough humility to not let it get to me.

It went on for atleast 15 miles, it was then I put my foot down, the post was about what I observed about my own car, and if more experienced memebers can give advice about how to improve it.

Anyway, to those hypocrites that are acting like they drive everywhere at 35mph , its nothing more than pure hypocrisy.

If you want to drive your car's like it its a 1.4 diesel upto you, but I would like to enjoy my car.

As for tution I paid £125 to go out on track with an instructor, will be going at the start of july.

The way the hypocrites are going on I may aswell not bother.

But thanks to the people that have offered some advice, much appreciated, I realise getting goaded is silly, but sometimes you just lose your temper.

I kept my car standard becuase I thought it was fast, but it obviously isnt anymore.

Last edited by TylerDurden; 03 June 2011 at 12:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Are scoobies still fast or is it my car?