Sponsored by:

Choosing between a Classic or Newage

Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2011, 08:03 PM
D__I__A__B__L__O
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing between a Classic or Newage

Im shortly going to be after an Impreza and am unable to make the choice between new age or classic. The car will purely be a fair weather weekend toy and will sit in a garage most of the time, choices will probably between a MY05 WRX or the newest classic I could get my hands on. The only plans for it will be a full de-cat, blitz nur spec r, filter and a re-map.

I like the look of the classics more but the newage is obviously a more modern car, just after advice on general running, rust, comfort etc etc. Personal experiences and comparisons by people who have owned both are far better than just reviews.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, ideas and help
Old 26 May 2011, 08:25 PM
astra_dave
Scooby Regular

run a search mate, its been covered to death.

my personally would say Classic
Old 26 May 2011, 08:27 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Briefly - Crude generalisations

Classic. Less stiff. Lighter. The raw subaru feel. The classic look. 320hp ish is OK with out too much expense. (Internals/gearbox). Build quality far tackier.
(For me the real deal, not so much of a daily driver, a toy, a rawer feel)

Newage. Stiffer so better in that way, engine/gearbox & 6 speed stronger so more power achieved for less expense, not such an inconic look, better daily driver, better interiour, less of a raw feel more detached
(The better daily driver, stiffer ect, 6 speed box for example way tougher than anything you will find in a classic, touch less involving)

Cheers
Steve

The ultimate is what some of us has. which is a classic running well set up big power. But that is big bucks.
Old 26 May 2011, 08:27 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

I've owned both in the form of a 2000 AWD, followed by an 03 WRX PPP then a late 2005 WRX PPP which I still own. The Classic is a more raw drive as its lighter. The newage shell is 120% stiffer and heavier, making it more comfortable. As mine is an occasional family car, I prefer Newage.
The newest Classics will be coming upto 11 years old.
No difference in running costs in my experience.
Both great cars. Bob
Old 26 May 2011, 09:06 PM
Steve T
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I,ve had 4 classics, 2 Uk2000,s, 1 jdm wrx and a V4 Sti. I now own a 05 Jdm Sti. As said earlier the classics are more raw and lighter, but in my opinion the newage is the better car, especially the Jdm.It is more comfortable, better built and has a stronger drive train. I used to argue for the Classic but now after owning a newage I,ve changed my mind. Steve.
Old 26 May 2011, 09:19 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Weekend toy, classic hands down. It's as simple as that, you'll have more fun in a classic.

Daily drive, then newage is the better option.
Old 26 May 2011, 09:26 PM
Pramas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattyB1983
Weekend toy, classic hands down. It's as simple as that, you'll have more fun in a classic.

Daily drive, then newage is the better option.
i think he captured the point nicely
Old 26 May 2011, 09:36 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Weekend toy, newage JDM twinscroll
I have both a classic STI V5 type R and an MY03 STI Spec C (weekend cars), given the choice I take the keys to the Spec C, its just a more enjoyable and well planted car, and I wouldnt say the classic was "raw", its not, its more better described as unforgiving or even dated, though this can make driving more entertaining, it catches far more out!

Tony
Old 26 May 2011, 10:19 PM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

High mate
I've had classic and now newage
Preference is the newage
Running 400/450 hp on standard engine and still better fuel economy than my 320 hp classic that car emptied the tank quickly
Think it's the 6 speed on motorway tbh but still a big difference
Old 26 May 2011, 10:19 PM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

High mate
I've had classic and now newage
Preference is the newage
Running 400/450 hp on standard engine and still better fuel economy than my 320 hp classic that car emptied the tank quickly
Think it's the 6 speed on motorway tbh but still a big difference
Old 26 May 2011, 11:02 PM
Benji554
Scooby Regular

My 2p worth.

I had a 290bhp 04 WRX for a couple of years. Had it off the road for a while having some work done so bought a classic sti as a temporary measure. Loved the classic so much I got rid of the newage!

If you were looking for a family friendly car then yes, newage but as you have said it will be a fair weather toy it has to be the classic! Especially as your budget is 05 WRX vs classic. If you were talking newage spec C vs classic then that would be a different argument.
Old 26 May 2011, 11:28 PM
wrx fifer
Scooby Regular

same here used to argue for classic but i love the comfort and family aspect of the new age
Old 26 May 2011, 11:43 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not being rude to anyone

If you can drive and are used to *** out action V3 sti type r / ra running 300ish is where its at.

If you think you can drive and need a more forgiving car then newage running 350 is a good daily / weekend driver for the guy who needs his safe speed fix.

This is for the average joe who wants a fast road car, the big bhp is for the drag strip.

400+ in either becomes expensive for a toy unless you have deep pockets.

The real question is how good are you? be realistic about your ability and requirements before choosing as the running costs are much of a muchness.
Old 26 May 2011, 11:49 PM
TylerDurden
Scooby Regular

I had a Turbo 2000, the bought a jdm bug sti, for me the bug is the better car.
Old 26 May 2011, 11:53 PM
Pramas
Scooby Regular

not sure really what the " how good a driver " arguement has to do with this, only way to get better is to do it and learn, classic a bit more raw but doesnt really take much getting used to.
Stick to the weekend fun = classic , daily = newage and you cant really go far wrong
Old 26 May 2011, 11:55 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

I would say newage but jdm twinscroll very good cars with minimum mods might be more to buy but you will spend less in the longrun. I love my my05 jdm sti and only have exhaust and a remap everything else is well set up as std. Ok if I used mine as a weekend car only then I would look at a lm400 conversion but at least the rest of the car would take it without spending silly money
Old 27 May 2011, 12:14 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Pramas
not sure really what the " how good a driver " arguement has to do with this, only way to get better is to do it and learn, classic a bit more raw but doesnt really take much getting used to.
Stick to the weekend fun = classic , daily = newage and you cant really go far wrong
Some people especialy the younger drivers are more used to front wheel drive cars which are more forgiving of the odd driver error, as is the new age.

It's not so much a matter of how good as what your experience / car history is.

It is down to driving style.

I drive very hard when alone and conditions permit mostly i save this driving style for the track and im not interested in lap times or racing just having fun in my own time and space .

For my personal taste that happens to be a classic with no driver aids other than a well set up chassis.

And bhp is not everything it's all about what you want the car to do for YOU.
Old 27 May 2011, 12:54 AM
jaygsi
Scooby Regular

Received 256 Likes on 222 Posts

Classic all the way, due to the large amount of rust free imports age isn't a problem.
Old 27 May 2011, 01:08 AM
dan2926
Scooby Regular

Had a few classics and 1 newage which i had for around 3 months .It just didnt feel like a subaru so am now back to a classic.
As the guys said the newage is a great daily driver and is certainly a good car.

But it is down to what you want in a car. The biggest difference i noticed was the handling between the two. Classic was far better

I am a ''weekend driver'' and imo classics are the dogs danglies
Old 27 May 2011, 01:13 AM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

As you have suggested a 05 WRX and NOT a sti, please scrap all the arguements that the newage will be better as it has the 6 speed box as it doesn't it has a 5 speed. The std newage wrx is a heavier car compared to a classic sti with less power at 240-260ish i think compared to the classic sti at 280, and that's if you can find a std classic sti most will have filter, full de-cat and remap so more like 310-320 ish. Again most will have suspension tweaks be it just uprated springs or full shocks plus anti roll bars, drop links etc and a possible brake upgrade but most are normaly sold seperate and the std ones put back on.

Based on that and an assumed budget I would be looking for a nice clean v5/6 last of the classics type r or type ra, based on other comments that it will be a weekend car and the fact I said earlier most would of had the basic mods done already. Back on the newage thing it is said that a newage car needs about 50 of each to feel like a classic, as I said as you are looking at a wrx for me the classic would be my choice.

As a slight curve ball have you thought of a 01-02 bugeye sti, they do come with what is regarded as one of the strongest factory blocks, the 6 speed box, brembo brakes and is a great base car for future mods, these can be had for 5-6k and for the haters of the looks, you get a prodrive style bug drop it on coilovers and a nice set of 18's and they can look the nuts.

Good luck
Old 27 May 2011, 01:20 AM
Aamar786
Scooby Regular

ive allways prefered the classics as ive had a 1996 uk turbo, 2001 uk turbo, and currently a p1, would defo say classic but only a p1 or type r, no point wasting money on anythin else!
Old 27 May 2011, 01:51 AM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Me I`d go Classic.
Its the car that started it all off, the one that everyone remembers.

If the box goes get a newer one, there are loads around, if the engine goes get a newer forged one as plenty get broken.
You can make the car into anything your bank balance can afford, but a Newage will always be heavier, unless on a drastic stripping diet, they are more complicated, numb, and depending on year have a high tax band.

Try and get a Jap import, as chances are they will have more power, and just make sure you look after it. Baby it till up to temp on the oil temp gauge, then cool it down sensibly. Make sure all servicing is done, and done correctly, and then all things being ok you`ll have it a while.
Old 27 May 2011, 09:07 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

I have found that most Impreza owners baby their cars too much. Yea it's your pride and joy and it owes you alot of money but it was built to be driven. What's the point of having a fast well setup car if you don't drive it properly.
The more money you have wrapped up in a car then the more scared your going to be of binning it. You'll have more fun in a 'cheap' classic than an expensive newage.

Also, I'm using an IPhone to write this and everytime I tap in newage it tries to correct it and write sewage. Says it all really buddy.
Do yourself a favor and listen to the 'drivers' on here, classic is the way forward.
Classic is a drivers car, newage is a posers car.
Old 27 May 2011, 09:13 AM
grahamc
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Classic or Newage is an entirely personal decision.... I have driven and owned both, I prefer the newage and run a track ready 400bhp (will be soon) bugeye sti.

The one recommendation, is definitely go for an STi instead of the WRX if you want a weekend toy and will be wanting to get more out of it. In my mind the additional cost, is WELL worth it.
Old 27 May 2011, 09:33 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

As a classic owner I am probably biased, but as I also owned a 03 STI for 4 years I do feel I can comment.

My 03 was a disaster, so much went wrong it was not true and I only came back to the marque by accident as after 4 years of that I had had enough. In the time I owned it I had 3 sets of front shocks, 1 set of rear, rear top mounts shattered, rear diff went, water pump went, heater matrix, lambda sensor....

Now I know I was unlucky and my car was one of those Friday afternoon things you get occasionaly, but the garage who ended up working on the car as the Subaru dealers at the time seemed incapable of doing a job properly said something to with me that has stuck.

He reckoned in certain areas the 03 car wasn't as well put together as the classics. His comment was it was better designed, but not as well built.

Now I have owned 4 classics and nothing has really ever gone badly wrong with any of them..... given that and the fact that I genuinely prefer the driving experience of a classic it would be a classic for me although those white bugeyes look nice
Old 27 May 2011, 09:33 AM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

I would have said classic all day long upto about 3 months ago when I had a passenger ride in a JDM twinscroll, had the same feel as a sti type r but with better handling. Always been a classic fan but the JDM twinscroll really changed my mind on what I think of the newage!!!

classic's are still great fun, and if you got the cash then go for a Version 5/6 STi type r or RA.
Old 27 May 2011, 12:16 PM
Dirk Diggler 75
Scooby Regular

Classic for me, but i am biased.
I do like the Blobeye also...
Old 27 May 2011, 12:33 PM
Mr moff
Scooby Regular

I would personally get the tidiest type R you can find.Of course I would say that as I've just bought one.
A word of warning though,if you love driving you might find you want to drive it all the time.
When I picked mine up I thought I'd just use it now and then,try to keep the miles low and keep it mint.Since then I've used it every day and I can't bear the thought of leaving it more than 12 hours without goin for a spin.

Regards.

Danny.
Old 27 May 2011, 12:40 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

NewAge STi will be cheaper in the long run, no such thing as a cheap classic. You WILL spend the equivalent money to the upfront cost of a NewAge STi getting/running the classic properly. I own both and love my classic but almost equally love the new age. Classic is more fun that the newage which is just a car, the classic is more of a mate than a car
Old 27 May 2011, 12:49 PM
wrathchild_78
Scooby Regular

I have a classic Turbo2000 modded to ~360bhp. I can't say how good this car feels...

The answer you seek is somewhere in the middle...A classic is a much more involving car but a new age STI (among other things) has better brakes, better transmission and better chassis

You can fix all 3 issues on a classic to ressemble a later STI and that is what I have done to mine. I installed gold brembo brakes, aftermarket strut/roll bars and 6MT from a JDM STI 02!

I don't have enough words to describe my joy when I drive my subie!!

Quick Reply: Choosing between a Classic or Newage