tow bar wiring help hatch

Search this Thread

Old 16 May 2011, 12:09 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tow bar wiring help hatch

hi guys

"my friend" needs a wiring diagram or guide for tow bar wiring onto his hatch sti,does anyone have a link or guide handy so my "friend" can crack on with his fitting,also is there a dedicated loom for the towbar attachment in the boot area somewhere

cheers marcus
Old 16 May 2011, 03:54 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I can't say for the hatch, but you need to be a bit careful.

On classics, there IS a dedicated connector behind the o/s rear light. The towing socket loom plugs into it and you make the connections to the towing socket as detailed on the kit.

You need to use the dedicated Subaru wiring kit, availablefrom dealers. Costs more than one off a carshop shelf, but worth it IMHO, since on modern cars the wiring, if cheap kits that rely on splitting the wiring are used, problems can occur.
Old 17 May 2011, 01:20 PM
VinceW
Scooby Regular

There is a connector in the nearside under the carpet in the boot of the hatch. I dont know if it is for the tow bar but it has feeds for the stop lights tail lamps etc. I used it for an aftermarket reversing sensor kit.
Old 17 May 2011, 11:35 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by VinceW
There is a connector in the nearside under the carpet in the boot of the hatch. I dont know if it is for the tow bar but it has feeds for the stop lights tail lamps etc. I used it for an aftermarket reversing sensor kit.
Yes that socket is for plugging in the electric socket for lights etc all new genuine subaru towbars come with the new 13 pin socket to which you'd need an adapter for just to use the lights
Old 18 May 2011, 12:23 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rob84
Yes that socket is for plugging in the electric socket for lights etc all new genuine subaru towbars come with the new 13 pin socket to which you'd need an adapter for just to use the lights

i dare say that genuine adaptor needed for the socket comes with a "genuine subaru" dealer pricetag as well

i think the best way forward is to splice the wiring from the back of the socket to each wire on the thule bike rack socket!

do you know if there is a wiring diagram available for that socket/tow wiring subaru loom ?

regards marcus
Old 18 May 2011, 01:39 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ethanrob
i dare say that genuine adaptor needed for the socket comes with a "genuine subaru" dealer pricetag as well

i think the best way forward is to splice the wiring from the back of the socket to each wire on the thule bike rack socket!

do you know if there is a wiring diagram available for that socket/tow wiring subaru loom ?

regards marcus
As I said: be careful.

Splicing wiring on modern cars isn't like it used to be. You might find in your eagerness to save a couple of ££ that you end up with all sorts of electrical problems.

That's why modern cars HAVE that connector.