newbie after a scooby

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2011, 02:59 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts
Default newbie after a scooby

hi peeps

within a month or so i will be in the market for a scooby,my budget is around £3-£4k im looking at the classic shape ideally either a ra,sti,wrx,terzo,cataluna,series mcrae or 2000 turbo

just after some advice really and some info as im hearing all sorts of horror stories from people i know who have owned a scooby and what i have read on the net about oil pumps being the main cause of engine failure,diffs locking up,gearbox grinding and head gaskets going

i dont want a massive bhp scooby (well i do but i cant afford one) so im not gonna pretend i can for a start

what would be the best for a weekend car ideally around a reliable 260+bhp?

whats the differencr between a closed deck block and open block and which model came with which?

i have heard of some sti's having poorer quality heads....if so which ones?

are uk2000 turbos any good engine wise as i know the jap versions have better internals but the uk2000 turbos seem to look nicer?

i know engine rebuilds are £2000 ish but what about replacment diffs/rebuild diff prices and gearboxes?

i dont drive my cars like a tit but i do like to open them up every know and then

i live about 8 buildings away from xspec motorsport in hinckley,anybody got any good/bad reports about them?

sorry for all the questions i just need to know as much as possible before buying one

cheers everyone

matt
Old 10 April 2011, 07:25 PM
scott64
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there are horror stories with every car mate and impreza`s aint any different. what ever car you go for all i can say is get the best that you can for your money (service history etc etc) try not to get one from some chav that has f*cked about with the engine and hasnt even bothered to change the oil on a regular basis.
just get one that been looked after, have a look at the cars for sale section here mate as most of the owners on here DO LOOK AFTER their scoobies and there are usualy some crackders to be had
good luck with your search i just hope you can afford the petrol to keep it running
Old 10 April 2011, 07:30 PM
chaffe
Scooby Regular

totally agree^^^ a car making 200+ bhp and owner by idiots not maintaining them, warming them up, cooling them down and driving with no mechanical sympathy, thats what knackers them. as for a classic for 3-4k, you will get a very good one for that, there are some blob wrx's going for 4k!
Old 10 April 2011, 07:48 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome

hi peeps

within a month or so i will be in the market for a scooby,my budget is around £3-£4k im looking at the classic shape ideally either a ra,sti,wrx,terzo,cataluna,series mcrae or 2000 turbo

just after some advice really and some info as im hearing all sorts of horror stories from people i know who have owned a scooby and what i have read on the net about oil pumps being the main cause of engine failure,diffs locking up,gearbox grinding and head gaskets going
Your looking at cars that are atleast 11 years old and on average will have over 100k on the clock, HG's, gearboxes, diffs etc will be worn, engines will let go, your best bet is to look for a good well maintained example.

i dont want a massive bhp scooby (well i do but i cant afford one) so im not gonna pretend i can for a start

what would be the best for a weekend car ideally around a reliable 260+bhp?
UK turbo (MY99/00 car which have the mappable ecu's, 97/98 model years dont)

whats the differencr between a closed deck block and open block and which model came with which?

i have heard of some sti's having poorer quality heads....if so which ones?

are uk2000 turbos any good engine wise as i know the jap versions have better internals but the uk2000 turbos seem to look nicer?
Dont worry about what sort of block your car has, its of no concern and too much is made of it, its the internals you should be worried about, STI's have forged pistons but share the same internals as the rest then, this includes the conrods which are normally the first thing to go if the car has not been subjected to bad mods and big det, in which case that alone will pretty much reduce the engines life severely.

i know engine rebuilds are £2000 ish but what about replacment diffs/rebuild diff prices and gearboxes?
Gearbox rebuilds are about 5-600 quid, diffs you will have to find out about but a good well maintained example of an Impreza will (shouldnt) have any need to replace such items, keep on top of the maintenance and the car will look after you (ish )

i dont drive my cars like a tit but i do like to open them up every know and then
Treat her like a woman, warm her up, have some fun , cool her down, ragging from cold is a big and should be avoided, dont go off the water temp gauge, the oil takes a good 5-10 miles to get up to temp.

i live about 8 buildings away from xspec motorsport in hinckley,anybody got any good/bad reports about them?
Dunno, ask in the midlands section but API is close to you and is well regarded

sorry for all the questions i just need to know as much as possible before buying one

cheers everyone

matt
Thats what we are here for

Tony

Last edited by TonyBurns; 10 April 2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 10 April 2011, 07:53 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Nice one Tone.