Sponsored by:

Subaru buying advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2011, 05:04 PM
DAMO73
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru buying advice please.

Hi, just joined the forum. I have decided to buy an Impreza just need a few things clearing up. What are the main differences between the WRX and STI?, Are the type UK STI's better spec or is it just the fact that the history should be more traceable on a UK car? The PPP upgrades - some say the have an instalation certificate is this to prove the work has been carried out or is it for insurance purposes? Considering an 02-04 STI sort of aged car (the headlights don't really bother me) are they similar spec and when did they start fitting the 6 speed box?
I know there are a lot of qustions but would like to know as much as possible before i start viewing cars.
Old 30 January 2011, 05:20 PM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

Hi, welcome to the site. From 03 the shape became known as the blobeye, ideally this is the one to buy as you mentioned an 02-04 car. I would suggest an 03 or 04 blobeye sti, these are 6 speed and have a stronger engine than the wrx. They also have 2 limited slip diffs as opposed to 1 on the wrx, so they go round corners better. I would certainly suggest a car which has documented history and is major accident free. A type uk is a superb, extremely capable and dynamic car which i have owned 3 of in the past. You can buy the superior jdm, japanese domestic model and many of these do have the jap history, or a japanese auction certificate which will tell you very accurately the conditon of the car at time of auction, there will be a grade on the certificate. Hope this helps!
Greg
Old 30 January 2011, 05:22 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome

Ok you have opened a can of worms
STI's are a better spec both mechanically and specification wise, the "new age" cars started on the 2001 model year or MY01, this was a JDM only STI (there are several differences between the higher spec JDM and lower spec UK cars btw ), and the UK got their first UK Spec STI's in 2002 (MY02).
Its these new age STI's that have the 6 speed boxes and bigger brembo brakes, stronger engines and associated parts, then there is the difference between the MY03 JDM cars and all of the UK cars (the JDM cars have even more uprated parts/specs and the MY03 was the introduction of the twin scroll 2ltr engine, noted to be the best unit that Subaru have produced to date ), so there is also another dilemma for you, though these wont have the burble due to the equal length headers, but do a search around the net (you tube is a good place to start ) to see how good they are

Tony
Old 30 January 2011, 05:54 PM
Mrfastbaz
Scooby Regular

the ppp certificate is proof that your car has the prodrive performance pack upgrades and is nice to have not a insurance requirement.
Old 31 January 2011, 12:03 AM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mrfastbaz
the ppp certificate is proof that your car has the prodrive performance pack upgrades and is nice to have not a insurance requirement.
If I understand correctly you are saying you dont need to declare PPP as a mod? Which insurance companies are those? All that I know of acknowledge it as an upgraded extra that certainly does need declaring and depending on who you go with can cost more to insure than a standard STI (companies who dont like mods). Generally it wont add a huge amount to your premium but you cant ignore it as companies will use it as an excuse not to pay out.