Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie, advise needed, what car to buy ?

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2011, 05:26 PM
Snakeskin74
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie, advise needed, what car to buy ?

Hi, i am looking to buy a Scooby in the next couple of months. My question is this.... Do i buy a STI jap import or a WRX that has had its power increased. I wanted to go for a STI, however they are more expensive to buy and to insure, plus there is less of them to chose from.
I was told that the sti is about 4.5sec 0-60 so about a sec quicker than the normal one, this is why i want a sti ! But is it worth all the extra costs ? Or should i go for a normal one that has had mods to match the sti. My budget is about £4000, so looking at cars 1995-1999.
Thanks.
Old 15 January 2011, 05:28 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go for a sti if you can find a good one. If you buy a wrx you will only wish you had got the sti at some stage down the line!
Old 15 January 2011, 05:37 PM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

JDM STi for my money
Old 15 January 2011, 05:39 PM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

If your looking at £4k you will be looking at cars upto around a 2003 on a WRX. Welcome to the recession
Old 15 January 2011, 05:52 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

In terms if imported/JDM classic Scoobs, what's the difference between the JDM WRX and the JDM Sti?

Snakey, did you have any thoughts on whether you want an import or a UK classic? Someone will come along to explain the differences, but the import will be quite a bit faster eg 276bhp compared to 218bhp (just make sure it's not been abused!).
Old 15 January 2011, 05:54 PM
Snakeskin74
Scooby Newbie

Thanks guys, you lot are telling me the same thing as my brother ! Hes got the RA .
Old 15 January 2011, 06:00 PM
Snakeskin74
Scooby Newbie

I have had a quote from Direct Line for a sti and it came out at just over £800 a year, is there anywhere else i should try ?
Old 15 January 2011, 06:02 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Look in the insurance section on here for Gary

Keith micheals
Old 15 January 2011, 06:09 PM
Snakeskin74
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by andythejock01wrx
In terms if imported/JDM classic Scoobs, what's the difference between the JDM WRX and the JDM Sti?

Snakey, did you have any thoughts on whether you want an import or a UK classic? Someone will come along to explain the differences, but the import will be quite a bit faster eg 276bhp compared to 218bhp (just make sure it's not been abused!).
Hi, i would be looking for the import 276bhp, but one that is already here in the UK. I saw one recently that had just come into the country, which looked pretty good. However he wanted £5000 for it and it had the standard gold wheels on it, which would have to go, so the cost of the 18" wheels i would want to put on it combined with the £5000 price tag puts it out of my budget.
Old 15 January 2011, 06:19 PM
yellowsierra
Scooby Regular

You might as well keep saving while you are looking and try and plumb for the STi
If you get a wrx, you will only end up spending all your money on trying to get to be an STI
Old 15 January 2011, 06:34 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Try both rather than listening to biased views.They are quite different cars underneath the skin.
I preferred tuning my WRX to around 320/330bhp over the 4 years I've owned it.
I've never regretted not buying an STI. Not a fan of the gold wheels,big spoiler, UK car felt lame compared to JDM as standard and the Spec D was not available when I bought my WRX.
I've spent less over 4 years uprating brakes, suspension and engine than the difference in buying the STI over the WRX from new .
If you intend doing a lot of track days or going for 400+ bhp go for the STI.
Either way, you will have a fun, fast car.
Old 15 January 2011, 06:56 PM
yellowsierra
Scooby Regular

Forgot to say, today i had the chance to take a wrx out and found it a nice drive.
The WRX delivered its power nice and smoothly, the car was fast enough and nice and smooth.
My STi delivers it power in large dollops and the suspension is a lot firmer and the whole car feels tighter
Hope that helps you out
Regards
Ian
Old 15 January 2011, 07:26 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

I know most of the RA's in Dorset, whats your brothers name?
Old 15 January 2011, 07:28 PM
Snakeskin74
Scooby Newbie

I have to be honest i haven't actually driven a scooby yet i have been in my brothers as a passenger, and was blown away. The fastest car i have owned up to now was a BMW 325i which did 0-60 in about 7secs. So which ever one i buy will be quicker than anything ive driven before.
Old 15 January 2011, 07:46 PM
awdx4
Scooby Regular

S70rjw said

Try both rather than listening to biased views.They are quite different cars underneath the skin.
I've never regretted not buying an STI. Not a fan of the gold wheels,big spoiler, UK car felt lame compared to JDM as standard and the Spec D was not available when I bought my WRX.
I've spent less over 4 years uprating brakes, suspension and engine than the difference in buying the STI over the WRX from new .
The above seems a very objective set of comments. I could have bought either car when getting mine. I like the D spec Hawk but didn't have a strong enough argument to hold out for a decent one having found a mint Hawk WRX which was close enough to where I live. I'm getting close to getting the car how I want it and to be honest although I'm going to end up with a 330-340hp car, I find my self questioning why I am doing the mods. Especially when there are frequent reminders on this forum of the downsides to having a car that's mental when driven to anywhere near its potential.

My car currently is around 290hp, maybe a little more, I drive it every weekend and every time I take it out, I find myself pondering what actual use will there be for the increases in performance unless I take the car to a track which then will absorb a load of cash that I could spend on other areas of the car. My lively-hood depends on me keeping my license and the car would be of no use without it.

On the other hand the pleasure of accelerating out of a sweeping bend, or flooring it to the speed limit on an open road with good visibility from a standing start with the rear windows down so I can hear the exhaust note in stereo puts a smile on my face.

So personally, the WRX and the limits of the engine and gearbox in respect of tuning help me keep things in perspective. I also have a family that I'm certainly not going to have come second best to a car in any contest. It's certainly worth considering many aspects when choosing a car, as there is no doubt about it, the cars have the potential to become an obsession which for some will unfortunately have a negative impact on other aspects of their lives.

Tim
Old 15 January 2011, 07:59 PM
scoobyd00999
Scooby Regular

Whatever you buy, take our time in looking at a lot of them,go to some meets and talk to the owners.Also have alook at more local forums to you.
I would check the insurance quote(make sure they give you a written copy.Ihad alot of trouble with mine when i told them its an import)
Get something that not been abused and has been well looked after(better a clean wrx than a ragged STI)
Remember its a buyers market at the moment
Old 16 January 2011, 12:42 AM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by s70rjw
Must admit also own a modded WRX but think I'd have been as well to buy an STi.

Are you in a Spec D S70? Seems to ring a bell!
Old 16 January 2011, 02:09 PM
wrxn
Scooby Regular

Hi i had this decision few months ago because of the extra cost to buy and insure i went for the blobeye wrx and LOVE it. I did have a good look around for one with service history because i wanted one with the cambelt service as this is not cheap. I will hopefully be looking to do some little tweeks this year but for now it is fast enough for me. The only thing i would have liked is the diff control but would not have liked the clock that tells you how much petrol your using lol.