Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying through Broker - payment upfront!!!

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2010, 07:14 PM
mutley wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying through Broker - payment upfront!!!

Hi Guys, I'm after a bit of advice / reassurance.

I ordered a car for my wife (not a Subaru) using an internet car broker & was put in touch with a dealer in Scotland. Paid a deposit some time back and have now had an email of the dealer to say the car has arrived and they can deliver next Wednesday.

The only thing that concerns me is that they have said "we would need cleared funds by the end of this week to ensure this happens"

I've bought a few new cars in the past (although only from local dealers) and have only ever paid the balance on collection.

I feel very reluctant to part with a large wedge of cash before I have got my hands on the car. I'm thinking what if there is a problem with the car when (if) it arrives or if the dealership went bust before next week then I'm left up a creek without a paddle.

Any comments / advice appreciated.

Cheers

Andrew
Old 30 December 2010, 07:54 PM
Anders_WR1
Scooby Regular

I'd ask for your deposit back and play safe.

Did you agree to any terms and conditions when you paid the deposit?

Anders
Old 30 December 2010, 08:01 PM
topman2180
Scooby Regular

I hope the deposit wasn't too much If it was me I wouldn't part with any more money until I get the goods, I never part with cash with large transactions and companies always use my credit card as you can get buyer protection section 75.
Old 30 December 2010, 08:14 PM
yellowsierra
Scooby Regular

wow cant believe you are even asking the question
NO goods NO money
How do you know this is NOT a scam
Old 30 December 2010, 08:34 PM
mutley wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yellowsierra
wow cant believe you are even asking the question
NO goods NO money
How do you know this is NOT a scam
The dealer seems legit enough "Park's Motor Group Ltd - Park's of Hamilton"

Just not happy with paying upfront in case the Dealer goes bust, we all know no one is buying cars (apart from me) at the moment.
Old 30 December 2010, 08:37 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Talk to them & explain you'll pay it on the day ... worst case is they insist you pay upfront albeit I wouldn't do that them being a Stealer or not.

TX.
Old 30 December 2010, 08:40 PM
yellowsierra
Scooby Regular

If you are not happy then phone them and explain your unhappyness and see if something a bit (loads) more agreable to you can be done
Oh and your not the only one buying at the mo, i have just bought a car too
Old 30 December 2010, 08:45 PM
mutley wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yellowsierra
If you are not happy then phone them and explain your unhappyness and see if something a bit (loads) more agreable to you can be done
Oh and your not the only one buying at the mo, i have just bought a car too

(BTW - you didn't buy yours from Park's did you )
Old 30 December 2010, 08:57 PM
scixer6r
Scooby Regular

Drive to the dealer,simples.
Old 30 December 2010, 09:21 PM
mutley wrx
Scooby Regular

I had thought about driving up there but the thought of a 600 mile round trip
Old 30 December 2010, 09:24 PM
f4la k
Scooby Regular

Im from scotland mate and im not to far from hamilton. Im down in ayr where there is also a big parks outlet. I could nip up to the dealers and have a look over the car and test drive it and let you know if there is any problems, then you could make a decision. Im off work for 10 days after tomorrow as ive got a hub, brake caliper and compressor to fit to a scania tomorrow, and if it suited you i would drive the car halfway and meet you with it and get my wife to follow for the cost of the fuel. If your interested, pm me and i,ll give you my home number to contact me.

I,m a genuine guy just offering to do you a favour. I can ust nip up and check the car over for you and you could just get them to deliver it now that i,ve noticed your from near london.
Old 30 December 2010, 09:26 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If the car is being delivered via a trailor/car transporter etc i can see why they want the £££ before the drop off, same as any purchase online really.

i agree, im guessing its alot of money to part with online with the worry of it not turning up,but how else would you pay for it, if you cannot go to them to collect ???
Old 30 December 2010, 09:28 PM
f4la k
Scooby Regular

Im from scotland mate and im not to far from hamilton. Im down in ayr where there is also a big parks outlet. I could nip up to the dealers and have a look over the car and test drive it and let you know if there is any problems, then you could make a decision. Im off work for 10 days after tomorrow as ive got a hub, brake caliper and compressor to fit to a scania tomorrow, and if it suited you i would drive the car halfway and meet you with it and get my wife to follow for the cost of the fuel. If your interested, pm me and i,ll give you my home number to contact me.

I,m a genuine guy just offering to do you a favour. I can ust nip up and check the car over for you and you could just get them to deliver it now that i,ve noticed your from near london.
Old 30 December 2010, 10:17 PM
mutley wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Rig
If the car is being delivered via a trailor/car transporter etc i can see why they want the £££ before the drop off, same as any purchase online really.

i agree, im guessing its alot of money to part with online with the worry of it not turning up,but how else would you pay for it, if you cannot go to them to collect ???
I would of thought they could of taken my card details over the phone & processed it that way, it's not as if they don't know who I am or where I live, they have all my details.

Originally Posted by f4la k
i,ve noticed your from near london.
You don't know how much that hurt

Thanks for the offer, although the problem is they want payment in advance and if anything happened before it was delivered (6 days is a long time in business) I would be well out of pocket.

I have just had look on the National Rail web site and I can get a cheap one way ticket to Hamilton next Wednesday so picking it up might be an option
Old 30 December 2010, 10:24 PM
jennywren00899
Scooby Regular

i brought a car from bmw wales 4months ago & paid upfront & when they delivered it, it wasnt how they described, marks all over it, couple of dings & wasnt even valeted properly so i sent it back on the trailer so i had no car & no money!!!!.i got my money back 2days later but it felt more like a month ,..never ever again!!!...unless its brand new id always view it in person & see what you are getting as photo,s dont show everything & the sales people dont give a s**t they just tell you what you want to hear as they just want there bonus....good luck
Old 30 December 2010, 11:08 PM
f4la k
Scooby Regular

Sorry for thinking you were from london. Thought it said soho when i glanced at it. Just be careful when parting with a lot cof cash. Personally i wouldnt buy a car without seeing it first but thats just me.
Old 31 December 2010, 07:19 AM
beastgtir
Scooby Regular

not that far!
Haven driven further for cars countless amount of times,
wouldn't part with cash until i was satisfied with a car myself..
Old 31 December 2010, 07:31 AM
Camoscooby
Scooby Regular

Personally, I would call and express your (valid) concerns to the garage. Arrange a date and time with them for collection and if you are able to come to an arrangement then be sure to get the person's name you spoke to.

Perhaps offering to pay a smaller deposit as a compromise and meet them half way? Good luck anyhow
Old 31 December 2010, 09:08 AM
peter a
Scooby Regular

Go and get it!
Old 31 December 2010, 03:35 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How nice is that ... gotta love Scoobynet ..

next weeks thread..

f4la k has stolen my car
Old 31 December 2010, 03:44 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pimmo2000

next weeks thread..

f4la k has stolen my car
well, i didnt want to say it LOL
Old 31 December 2010, 04:28 PM
EH52WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mutley wrx
The dealer seems legit enough "Park's Motor Group Ltd - Park's of Hamilton"

Just not happy with paying upfront in case the Dealer goes bust, we all know no one is buying cars (apart from me) at the moment.
Parks of Hamilton are huge. Its obvious that they wan't there money before delivery lol. OK we will deliver the car and if your happy we will then take the money from you. Are you having a laugh.
Old 31 December 2010, 04:30 PM
EH52WRX
Scooby Regular

Sorry for thinking you were from london. Thought it said soho when i glanced at it. Just be careful when parting with a lot cof cash. Personally i wouldnt buy a car without seeing it first but thats just me.
You really are a tw$t

Its about time you went away

Do us all a favour dude
Old 31 December 2010, 04:36 PM
EH52WRX
Scooby Regular

OMG You have lost the plot

Why would anyone trust you, you pickie ****
Old 31 December 2010, 05:05 PM
SpecDscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How is this different from buying anything online??...Pay first then it gets delivered?...lot of cash or not, this is how we all do things daily.

Tell ya what i'll buy a new car, the dealer will pay for the whole cost of the car and order the car from the manufacturer, without me parting with a penny. Then when it arrives several weeks later i will refuse to take it since i spent all the money on ******....The dealer can foot the bill, thats fair; every dealer in the land would be out of business in a month......not gonna happen is it>>??

Keep your reciept close to your chest, it'll be fine; or as said earlier come to a reasonable settlement, such as half now, half on delivery. That said...NO WAY would i buy a car in this fashion

Just MO

Last edited by SpecDscooby; 31 December 2010 at 05:07 PM. Reason: durr spelt it wrong
Old 31 December 2010, 05:57 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

There is really only one option, get a lift/take the train and pick it up in person. Assuming you have a suitable credit card you can pay the balance on the day and get the extra cover afforded by the card.
It might be a new car but look what happened with jennywren, it might leave the dealers inn A1 nick only to get scraped in transit.
Old 31 December 2010, 07:08 PM
mutley wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SpecDscooby
How is this different from buying anything online??...Pay first then it gets delivered?...lot of cash or not, this is how we all do things daily.
If I pay online I use my credit card so I automatically get section 75 cover if it all goes **** up. The dealer cannot accept a credit card payment over the phone only in person so no protection

Originally Posted by c_maguire
There is really only one option, get a lift/take the train and pick it up in person. .
Yep, spoke to the dealer and the best he would do is bank transfer next Tuesday when the transport company collect the car. Dealer has agreed to knock off £220 delivery charge & I've booked a £35 rail ticket for next Wednesday.

I might even take the wife, she is always going on about how I don't take her anywhere
Old 31 December 2010, 07:13 PM
EH52WRX
Scooby Regular

What is the point of this post.
Old 31 December 2010, 08:34 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EH52WRX
You really are a tw$t

Its about time you went away