Sponsored by:

bridgestone re050 snow test.

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2010, 08:16 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bridgestone re050 snow test.

first real bit of snow/icy slush with these tyres, quite possibly the worst tyres for snow ever, not too bad on 'dry' compact snow, but wet slushy stuff almost comedy, I wasn't expecting miracles with these, but ffs.
I don't usually use my car in snow, but had no choice today, dug it out, slowly crept down our extremely steep long hill no probs, just 1 or 2 moments of lost traction, but going back up the hill lets just say i was suitably embarassed but a clio, fiesta, and corsa who skidded and scrabbled their way to the top. Me, I managed about a quarter of the way before having to reverse down. Winter tyres for me as soon as the ******* become available for a normal price.
Old 21 December 2010, 09:18 PM
mac05
Scooby Regular

On my way to london i tried going in the third lane that no one was using due to the slush and snow, i thought to myself ive got a subaru no problem, little did I know RE070's are probably the worst tyres to have in this weather
Old 21 December 2010, 10:10 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by gallois
first real bit of snow/icy slush with these tyres, quite possibly the worst tyres for snow ever, not too bad on 'dry' compact snow, but wet slushy stuff almost comedy, I wasn't expecting miracles with these, but ffs.
I don't usually use my car in snow, but had no choice today, dug it out, slowly crept down our extremely steep long hill no probs, just 1 or 2 moments of lost traction, but going back up the hill lets just say i was suitably embarassed but a clio, fiesta, and corsa who skidded and scrabbled their way to the top. Me, I managed about a quarter of the way before having to reverse down. Winter tyres for me as soon as the ******* become available for a normal price.
Ditch the RE050s and go for something better such as Vredestein Sessanta or Goodyear Assymetrics . You will feel the improvement in all conditions.
Old 21 December 2010, 10:11 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

RE050's = Fail whatever the season
Old 22 December 2010, 10:12 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will see your RE050 snow tyres and raise you a set of Toyo R888s... Not a good mix with 8" of snow ( but quite funny)
Old 22 December 2010, 10:24 AM
T5BNC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mac05
On my way to london i tried going in the third lane that no one was using due to the slush and snow, i thought to myself ive got a subaru no problem, little did I know RE070's are probably the worst tyres to have in this weather
+1 i have good year egales on the frount, as my RE070 were knackered (and sh*t last year) and thought i would squeeze a few thou out of the rear.. PMSL sideways everywere...
Old 22 December 2010, 10:27 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Brand new set of Verddy's here. Still sliding around on the sheet ice.

dunx

P.S. RE-050's are hard as concrete and last well...

Trending Topics

Old 22 December 2010, 10:39 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by 53WRX
RE050's = Fail whatever the season
Agreed, don't know why so many people insist on fitting them

Although try some RE010s when its below 5 degrees...its like driving on ice..IN THE DRY! (at least until they warm up, which takes a while)

Last edited by ALi-B; 22 December 2010 at 10:40 AM.
Old 22 December 2010, 10:54 AM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Had RE050s on a CTR and they were the WORST tyre i've ever had the misfourtune of using. They were on my Blob when I first got it and they were the first thing I changed. Poor in the dry and appaling in either the wet or cold.
Old 22 December 2010, 09:35 PM
scottydwrx
Scooby Regular

The good thing about RE050s is the wear rate. Got 20k miles on fronts and 30k miles on rears on wifes Alfa GT.

What has the verdict been on the Goodyear Assys or Vredesteins in the snow as I am stuck between which to choose when mine need replacing
Old 22 December 2010, 10:01 PM
Steve.
Scooby Newbie

Am considering wacking some of these on: http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Motors...Tyre/1790/2236

are these road legal?
Old 22 December 2010, 10:05 PM
deanb1980
Scooby Regular

well i have re050's on mine well lets say in the snow they have kept me alert
Old 23 December 2010, 01:48 PM
beatbox
Scooby Newbie

just swapped my re050(felt like i was driving on ball bearings) to winter Nokian W+ 225/45/17,what a difference,stops,corners and goes.Highly recomended. paid £80 a tyre but prices have rocketed,at one point they peaked at £300 each on Mytyres
Old 23 December 2010, 01:59 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Peoples lack of understanding amazes me, with some comments I have had from people that know what cars I have.....

My new shape Mondeo has RE050's on it and they are good tyres in conditions other than snow / ice. People then ask me why I don't drive the Scoob in such conditions as it's 4WD. Firstly, it matters not whether it's 4WD.... if it freezes it slids as much as a 2WD car. Also it has RE070's fitted.... great in the dry and fine in the wet.... but come snow, you can forget it. Scoob has remained in the garage and will stay there until it thaws.
Old 23 December 2010, 02:05 PM
beatbox
Scooby Newbie

True, the number of people that say to me you'll be ok in this weather cos its 4 wheel drive !! They dont understand its the rubber not the car that makes the difference.
Old 23 December 2010, 02:10 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Here is video of driving Subaru at snow with Nokian Hakkapeliitta http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCr9V...eature=related
Old 23 December 2010, 02:31 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaun
Peoples lack of understanding amazes me, with some comments I have had from people that know what cars I have.....

My new shape Mondeo has RE050's on it and they are good tyres in conditions other than snow / ice. People then ask me why I don't drive the Scoob in such conditions as it's 4WD. Firstly, it matters not whether it's 4WD.... if it freezes it slids as much as a 2WD car. Also it has RE070's fitted.... great in the dry and fine in the wet.... but come snow, you can forget it. Scoob has remained in the garage and will stay there until it thaws.

amen.

brakes still have same contact area on an impreza the same as any car.
Old 23 December 2010, 03:25 PM
j999jmp
Scooby Regular

I put some 225 45 17 m + s remoulds on my spare alloys. This year my car will go anywhere last year on the bridgestones it wouldn't leave my drive. Best £198 for all 4 I've spent. In the dry they are scary though.

Also bought a Jimny for £800 put it in 4x4 low box and its unbelievable. Loving the snow.

Last edited by j999jmp; 23 December 2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 23 December 2010, 04:30 PM
Steve.
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by jura11
Here is video of driving Subaru at snow with Nokian Hakkapeliitta http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCr9V...eature=related

Seen that one a while back, one of my favs. Note his big grin when he pulls alongside his mate at the end. Think we have all had that feeling...though not the snow lol
Old 23 December 2010, 07:19 PM
greendragonkungfu
Scooby Regular

i have just put a set of avon zv5's on mine and have been pleasantly surprised by them since there not a winter tyre. havent had any scary moments that i havnt induced myself as yet.
Old 23 December 2010, 07:43 PM
Curtiz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shaun

Had to quote this because it's so true. I get asked by everyone 'why do you drive so slow, it has AWD'. Some people think because it has awd, it can drive on all roads in all conditions flat out or something

I have goodyear eagle f1's on and they are terrible in the snow/ice i think

Last edited by Curtiz; 23 December 2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old 23 December 2010, 08:23 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

I have RE070's not had any major problems as just drove within what I hope are the limit of the tyres and only do essential journeys, although I have just picked up a set of cheap winter tyres and when the weather clears a little will pick up some spare alloys I am buying and put those on till about March, should have learnt my lesson last year but left it to late, at least if this is the last snow for this year I will be prepared for next,
Old 23 December 2010, 09:56 PM
55WRX
Scooby Newbie

Default RE050's

I know from previous experiences that my Bridgestone RE050's are not much good in snow but this afternoon I managed to drive up a very steep hill to my house, passing two neighbours who had abandoned their cars at the bottom of the hill
Old 23 December 2010, 10:26 PM
ScottishRayman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gallois
sadly i haven't managed on to the site for a while, and wish I had for sure. 1st real year with my Hawkeye in such bad conditions and wanted to make sure all my tyres had as much max tread as poss so treated the wee guy to 4 brand new re050's (no snow tyres in stock) as previously the back end seemed to be overtaking me driving in slushy conditions almost every journey & I'm not impressed at all. With the 4 newbies thought I'd at least had a reasonable grip - so wrong...... I'd go as far as saying my BMW 5 series was 100 times better which is not good considering the obvious rear wheel drive. In Hawkeye this week even managed to go into a skid at 8mph and thing shot towards the wall at side of road and car impossible to correct. Not impressed at all.

Any decent tyres, or is the winnter dudes the only real way to go?