Sponsored by:

What next, best way forward?

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2010, 12:02 PM
keithp2299
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What next, best way forward? 400+ with sr40

Hi everyone, im looking to make some upgrades to the car in the new year to improve performance and thought id run it past you all incase im going about things the wrong way.

Car is a 2002 bugeye sti type uk, with...

aps 3" race exhaust system with cobra 100cell highflow downpipe which is heat wrapped,

aps cold air feed induction kit with k&n cone helped out by an air feed fog cover,

aps twin port bov,

automatic ic spray,

aps sr40 ball bearing turbo with a heat jacket on as heatsheild wouldnt fit back on

NGK platinum spark plugs

Sytec motorsport fuel pump

& ecutek tek3 remap.

My boost reads 1.25bar peak at the moment and the car made 275hp & 251 ft/lbl at the wheels at janspeed reccently.

These performance mods where done at greenwood race developments in 06 by previous owner before i got the car in 07, iv started looking into them and realised the aps sr40 turbo is rated for 440hp, which has me thinking iv potential here. I should mention that when i got the car the downpipe & turbo had no heat sheilding at all, which makes think thats why the boost is set quite low (1.5 1.6bar max on an sti 7 isnt it?), det issues maybe kept it down at 1.25 possibly?

What i thought id do is,
-hdi front mount intercooler ( sti 7 top mount cant go over 400 right?)
-apexi avcr (i read that with bigger turbos a 3port solenoid is the way to go?)
-get ecutek remaped for twin maps, fast map say 410-420ph (hoping) & daily map around 300hp

Is this along the right lines or can a highflow cat not achieve it? I dont really want to change injectors either if possible?

Your valued opinions please, good, bad & ugly Thanks

Last edited by keithp2299; 17 December 2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 15 December 2010, 03:33 PM
--------
Scooby Regular

chop it ferra nEvo!
Old 15 December 2010, 04:08 PM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by --------
chop it ferra nEvo!
In english please
Old 15 December 2010, 04:23 PM
Billet
Scooby Regular

The sports cat will be ok, iirc, stevesbluewrx, a user on here, has around 430 bhp while running a sports cat.
Old 15 December 2010, 04:49 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AFAIK you cannot have twin maps on your ecu, twin boost settings yes, maps no, only the Spec C ecu is capable of that
You would have to go after market for the ecu otherwise, forget the apexi, good on old cars, not the new ones.

Tony
Old 15 December 2010, 05:04 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi matey at first look for other turbo like APS SR40 this turbo on some application just make 396BHP,if you want better turbo which give you more than 400BHP look for GT30-7xx series or MD-321 range,and from this you will decide is you are really need AVCR or way to go is new ECU like Solaris/Syvecs or Simtek,everything will depend on your pocket
Old 15 December 2010, 05:07 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
AFAIK you cannot have twin maps on your ecu, twin boost settings yes, maps no, only the Spec C ecu is capable of that
You would have to go after market for the ecu otherwise, forget the apexi, good on old cars, not the new ones.

Tony
Hi Tony i'm not sure but RomRaider have this option for two fuel maps or boost maps.

Trending Topics

Old 15 December 2010, 05:21 PM
keithp2299
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
Hi matey at first look for other turbo like APS SR40 this turbo on some application just make 396BHP,if you want better turbo which give you more than 400BHP look for GT30-7xx series or MD-321 range,and from this you will decide is you are really need AVCR or way to go is new ECU like Solaris/Syvecs or Simtek,everything will depend on your pocket
Im not thinking of changing turbos at this time, if this one gives up then yes, but happy with it at the moment cheers though.
Old 15 December 2010, 05:22 PM
keithp2299
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tazz
The sports cat will be ok, iirc, stevesbluewrx, a user on here, has around 430 bhp while running a sports cat.
Thats good to know thanks, saves all the fuss at mot time lol
Old 15 December 2010, 05:23 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by keithp2299
Im not thinking of changing turbos at this time, if this one gives up then yes, but happy with it at the moment cheers though.
Hi there here is good article/thread about APS SR40
https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...e-verdict.html
Old 15 December 2010, 11:13 PM
keithp2299
Scooby Regular

Hi there here is good article/thread about APS SR40
https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...e-verdict.html
Interesting read thanks, still not sure i want to change turbos though.

So have you had bad experiences with the sr40 or something?

I appreciate your input but really dont want to spend £1000+ changing turbos when the previous owner already did that. Im looking to get abit nearer this turbo potential than it is at the moment basically.

What are the injectors good for on the sti7 would you know?

Last edited by keithp2299; 15 December 2010 at 11:39 PM.
Old 15 December 2010, 11:16 PM
keithp2299
Scooby Regular

Hi Tony i'm not sure but RomRaider have this option for two fuel maps or boost maps.
I really thought ecutek could do all the extra stuff like anti lag, launch control, and dual maps or have i miss understoud?
Old 15 December 2010, 11:31 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

What turbo would you choose for 400+ if you were in my shoes out of interest?
If i have been your shoes,my best bet is MD321 T or MD321V,GT30,SC46 are very good turbos,which make around from 400BHP+
If you have this turbo leave like is and save money on new ecu and methanol kit which will bring you to 400BHP+ club.
This really depend on your pocket,but you can try buy used....

I really thought ecutek could do all the extra stuff like anti lag, launch control, and dual maps or have i miss understoud?

This you can ask here JGM which is official dealer of EcuTek.But i know this is possible via RomRaider(Open source mapping)
Old 15 December 2010, 11:34 PM
dannytwo
Scooby Regular

What turbo would you choose for 400+ if you were in my shoes out of interest?
Hi mate
I have used a sr40 and i wasn't impressed with it at all,very laggy.I don't think there is many sr40's making little over 400,stand to be corrected thoI thought it was good at first but that was because i didn't know any better!!

For 400 plus i would go for One of the MD 321t or similar Great early spooling turbos.
Old 15 December 2010, 11:35 PM
beef-on-the-bone
Scooby Regular

what about tyre/suspension/brakes???

use what you have more effectively...........
Old 15 December 2010, 11:49 PM
keithp2299
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by beef-on-the-bone
what about tyre/suspension/brakes???

use what you have more effectively...........
Some advice in this area would be good also yea, all still stock in this department currently apart from tein lowering springs. Not good i know!
Old 16 December 2010, 12:00 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Some advice in this area would be good also yea, all still stock in this department currently apart from tein lowering springs. Not good i know!
In this you will need little bit big budget:

Front ARB(anti roll bar) 22mm
Rear ARB 24mm(whiteline stuff is good)
Solid Droplinks(CDF selling for good money or Whiteline)
BC suspension kit or Tein suspension are same range
K Sport 8 pot front or AP 6 pots front
Rear are good just go Performance Friction Disc with DS2500 or EBC BlueStuff
Old 16 December 2010, 12:08 AM
keithp2299
Scooby Regular

Tony
So the ebay bargin avcr iv had in the cupbord for a couple months should go back on ebay your saying? I swear i read somewhere that a 3port solenoid setup is recomended for better controling boost with bigger turbos. Oh well impulse buys and all that
Old 16 December 2010, 12:12 AM
beef-on-the-bone
Scooby Regular

In this you will need little bit big budget:

Front ARB(anti roll bar) 22mm
Rear ARB 24mm(whiteline stuff is good)
Solid Droplinks(CDF selling for good money or Whiteline)
BC suspension kit or Tein suspension are same range
K Sport 8 pot front or AP 6 pots front
Rear are good just go Performance Friction Disc with DS2500 or EBC BlueStuff
all good advice

what size wheels are you on?? decent tyres
there are good spring/damper combos if coilovers seem a bit extreme
decent geometry set up
gold brembos all round would save a bit brake wise
Old 16 December 2010, 12:21 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

So the ebay bargin avcr iv had in the cupbord for a couple months should go back on ebay your saying? I swear i read somewhere that a 3port solenoid setup is recomended for better controling boost with bigger turbos. Oh well impulse buys and all that
3 port solenoid leave where is it(in car i mean),AVCR is probably best boost controller,which hold same value.Everything will depend on which boost you will run,std ECU will cope around 1.5bar maybe more
Old 16 December 2010, 12:34 AM
keithp2299
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by beef-on-the-bone
all good advice

what size wheels are you on?? decent tyres
there are good spring/damper combos if coilovers seem a bit extreme
decent geometry set up
gold brembos all round would save a bit brake wise
Im using the original wheels & tyres 17" bridgstones 225 wide i think.
Gold brembos are on the car yes, standard issue on bug sti i thought?
Sti shocks seem pretty solid, especialy on the tein springs, but coilovers are on the wish list for sure, anti roll bars and drop links first though is it?
Old 16 December 2010, 12:39 AM
keithp2299
Scooby Regular

3 port solenoid leave where is it(in car i mean),AVCR is probably best boost controller,which hold same value.Everything will depend on which boost you will run,std ECU will cope around 1.5bar maybe more
3port solenoid avcr kit isnt on the car its in a box in the cupbord lol. Im quite disapointed that i dont need it, its a cool looking piece of kit
Old 16 December 2010, 12:44 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

3port solenoid avcr kit isnt on the car its in a box in the cupbord lol. Im quite disapointed that i dont need it, its a cool looking piece of kit
If you want AVCR you will have,just talk with your future mapper for setting up,everything depends on you...
Second if is your std coilovers are still good,geometry and other stuff will help.
ARB and droplinks is best upgrade for beggining with good pads(DS2500 or EBC Bluestuff)
Old 16 December 2010, 12:57 AM
keithp2299
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dannytwo
Hi mate
I have used a sr40 and i wasn't impressed with it at all,very laggy.I don't think there is many sr40's making little over 400,stand to be corrected thoI thought it was good at first but that was because i didn't know any better!!

For 400 plus i would go for One of the MD 321t or similar Great early spooling turbos.
I must admit i do find it laggy, good boost above 4000k, but when its going its great, constant surge that seems to grow till redline. If only the md321 wasnt so pricey, there are td06 20g's rated 400hp on the bay for 300-400 but surely the sr40 is better than those
Old 16 December 2010, 01:14 AM
DisoDisp
Scooby Regular

Huoh...

Ok, your car has got the base essentials fitted already but seems to be down on power.

Do you know if the fuelpump has been uprated, and if the injectors are still standard sti pinks?
If they are stock, change them to a walbro255 and 650-800cc injectors. (diff mappers have diffferent preferences) and get a remap, the SR40 should have you in the high 300s at the least. Possibly low 400s.

Also dont ditch the AVCR it does a good job of boost control, though it may be preferable to some mappers just to fit a 3-port and let the ECU control boost instead. Talk to your mapper regarding the AVCR, though if you imtend to go over 1.55bar on the stock ECU you will need to use it.

As for the TMIC its surprisingly capable, people here run them at 450bhp one nutter has his stock STi8 TMIC with almost 480bhp.
Obviously a FMIC will yeild better numbers, but its not a necessary expense imo.

Granted, if you want to spend lots of money do what others have suggested and replace everything

Last edited by DisoDisp; 16 December 2010 at 01:19 AM.
Old 16 December 2010, 09:13 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

All you need is a 3 port boost solenoid, the standard ecu will do the rest ok as they are somewhat better than the classic ecu's that had bad boost control the higher you went.
If your going 450bhp then you should be looking at an after market ecu like a solaris which can run multiple maps, the standard ecu doesnt have the memory capability to run 2 full maps, the Spec C has double the memory of any other new age ecu, hence why they can run 2 full maps (plus they also have l/c and anti lag already on as a feature)

Tony
Old 16 December 2010, 01:24 PM
keithp2299
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the input guys. Im not intending to change ecu so sounds like dual maps is off the menu. It will just have to be a daily driver with a single high end ecuket map then i think. So i think my current shopping list is,

hdi fmic, bigger injectors and a map.

Iv had a quick look so the ecutek site and i seem to be in the middle of a grey zone lol, no dealers within 2 hour radius plymouth or swindon it seems.

Unless anyone can point me in a better direction, like a mobile option or somewhere iv missed? Im in bridgwater, somerset.
Old 16 December 2010, 01:59 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Contact here JGM or Ducan@RaceDynamix,these guys are mobile and help you sort remap.JGM is EcuTek dealer and Duncan is Open Source mapper.
Old 17 December 2010, 12:03 PM
keithp2299
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DisoDisp
Huoh...

Ok, your car has got the base essentials fitted already but seems to be down on power.

Do you know if the fuelpump has been uprated, and if the injectors are still standard sti pinks?
If they are stock, change them to a walbro255 and 650-800cc injectors. (diff mappers have diffferent preferences) and get a remap, the SR40 should have you in the high 300s at the least. Possibly low 400s.

Also dont ditch the AVCR it does a good job of boost control, though it may be preferable to some mappers just to fit a 3-port and let the ECU control boost instead. Talk to your mapper regarding the AVCR, though if you imtend to go over 1.55bar on the stock ECU you will need to use it.

As for the TMIC its surprisingly capable, people here run them at 450bhp one nutter has his stock STi8 TMIC with almost 480bhp.
Obviously a FMIC will yeild better numbers, but its not a necessary expense imo.

Granted, if you want to spend lots of money do what others have suggested and replace everything

Yes NGK platinum spark plugs & Sytec motorsport fuel pump are on the car. Original injectors though
Old 17 December 2010, 10:41 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

All you need is a 3 port boost solenoid, the standard ecu will do the rest ok as they are somewhat better than the classic ecu's that had bad boost control the higher you went.
If your going 450bhp then you should be looking at an after market ecu like a solaris which can run multiple maps, the standard ecu doesnt have the memory capability to run 2 full maps, the Spec C has double the memory of any other new age ecu, hence why they can run 2 full maps (plus they also have l/c and anti lag already on as a feature)

Tony
JDM sti takes the twin maps not just spec c.