Sponsored by:

what to look for

Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2010, 07:15 PM
astraman1
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to look for

i hear alot of people saying not to buy uk impreza as the internals are like chocolate is this true i want one standard maybe up to 300 bhp but at the moment im looking at standard would i be ok geting one from uk or is it a no go.

go for a import

i dont want to save all this money and then it not even last a year

and why do you hear of so many of these engines losing the bottom end

also how can you tell imports and uk ones im guessing sti is an import and wrx is a uk

still have a lot to learn
Old 14 December 2010, 07:26 PM
Davey L
Scooby Regular

Hi.. see if i can help a little bit. WRX and STI can be UK spec or JDM (import). The newer cars 2005/6 on in the UK had the 2.5 L engine but the JDM cars still have the older 2.0 L engine fitted. There have been a few problems with the new hatch, a number of engines have gone pop (2.5L). Like any car if it's modified and it's not done properly the engine can let go... If it's been moded properly and looked after and serviced when it needs it the engines are solid and a standard 2.0 L is good for tuning to approx 350 bhp. WRX had about 225 bhp depending on model/year and the STI is 280+ depending on model/year.
Like anything it depends how much you have to spend and what model your after.. classic, bugeye, blobeye, hawkeye or hatch then what you want to do to it once you have it.
I'm sure you'll get loads more hints and help, i haven't regretted a minute of having my car. Brings a smile to my face everytime i drive it.
Old 14 December 2010, 07:34 PM
astraman1
Scooby Newbie

im going to get a classic turbo thats as far as i have got yet not sure what model will look more into it when i have the money
just dont want to go into it blind more info i have the better will prob be standard i think but wont be any more than 300 bhp

Last edited by astraman1; 14 December 2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 14 December 2010, 07:40 PM
krisando
Scooby Regular

Have a look at mine, shes up for sale. Its a UK turbo model, pretty much standard. You can see it in the private cars for sale.
Old 14 December 2010, 07:40 PM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

if your going for a classic i would say get a wrx or and sti from 97 onwards as they all came with 280ps which is about 276bhp but really it would be best to get an sti 5-6 as they had better shocks on and the ecu can be mapped ona version 6. sti is a better base if you do want to go up in power but all the classic wrx from 97 -200 have 276bhp and the uk spec only came with 215 -220 and i think a few models might have had 240bhp but if you are going to buy a classic by from a good palce beware alot of the import sales places as they over price and the millage is not always true
Old 14 December 2010, 07:41 PM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

you can buy my classic if you want and it got 390bhp : >
Old 14 December 2010, 08:42 PM
astraman1
Scooby Newbie

so is it better to go for an import or uk been looking at some sti's

will not be looking seriously for a while yet still saving early spring i rekon

want a later model classic how can you tell the diffrence between the models and versions

Trending Topics

Old 14 December 2010, 08:49 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by astraman1
so is it better to go for an import or uk been looking at some sti's
depends what you want: imports have more toys, and more power, but can have less rustproofing and be dearer to insure, and find parts for.

want a later model classic how can you tell the diffrence between the models and versions
Just study on here. Look at pics and actual cars, get straight in your head what has what. A decent starting point is a UK 99/00 car.

The UK engines ARE weaker, but can do 300bhp without going bang, if done properly, and 300bhp on a 1250kg car is pretty quick.
The gearboxes are weaker, but have longer ratios, more suited for motorways and for better fuel consumption.
They do have less toys, but the toys can mostly be cheaply retro-fitted if you want to do so.
Old 14 December 2010, 09:27 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

also how can you tell imports and uk ones im guessing sti is an import and wrx is a uk
Not right, STI and WRX's in the pre 2001 cars (ie classics) are all JDM imports, only the following cars are UK or UK spec.

Mcrae (ltd edition)
Catalunya (ltd edition)
RB5 (WR and none WR Sport versions, ltd edition)
Terzo (ltd edition)
22B type UK, also a limited edition
P1, not quite as limited as the above but limited to 1000 units.
Prodrive models, limited cars with all the goodies added, based on a UK turbo with PPP (prodrive performance pack and all the book accessories, rare to say the least).

Then you have your UK cars, from the MY94 to the MY00 were all classics.
Aircon was on optional extra on the standard model.

Tony