Sponsored by:

Befor i claim (crash)

Search this Thread

Old 02 December 2010, 07:27 AM
scooby1doo1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Befor i claim (crash)

Crashed the scoob on the way to work this morning, before i claim what's the insurance likly to pay, Car My00 on a W plate uk turbo.

I was on the M18 about to join M1, so my motorway is 2 lanes and i'm about to join the 3 lane M1.

I was in lane 2 of the M18 as i'm about to join the M1 my lane is closing, ice and snow. I had no choice but to drive through it, I could not brake as this would cause me to CRASH So the back wheels are stopping in the lane as i'm trying to enter M1 turn right, i'm turning the front wheels to try and correct this but nothing is happening. The back end swings right out causing me to skid across into the M1 lane 1 and 2. In the dirrection of this lorry (artic lorry) then all i here is one big bang followed be another. He hit my o/s/f then spun me 360 to then hit my 0/s/b. This then spun me another 360 to face the wrong way back onto the M18 slip road. The damage isn't to bad considering an artic was involved, the slipy condition just made me bounce off.
But been an old car it's a right off for sure.

Pics to follow as it's dark, but all i want to no is do i claim. Looked at my docs this morning and the cheeky ******* (directline) have my access at £600. Last yr was £250 should have checked the renewal forms when they came.

Yes i'm fine and the car got me home, as i dint feel like going to work.

Last edited by scooby1doo1; 02 December 2010 at 08:50 AM. Reason: EDITED to add picks
Old 02 December 2010, 07:29 AM
stibex
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry cant give advice but glad you ok
Old 02 December 2010, 07:39 AM
J.beazley
Scooby Regular

At least your ok and not hurt.

My advise would be assess the damage and price it up if its worth fixing without claiming then do so.
If the cost to repair eats into the £600 excess you might want to think are the insurance company likely to write it off in which case start looking for another motor.

Jay
Old 02 December 2010, 08:07 AM
Bigbob3000
Scooby Regular

Glad to here your ok, and i know the feeling after a crash, not wanting to go to work.

My advice is as above, weigh up the damage cost, with your excess, and hike in premiums for the next years. Also, if your NCB is affected as i've reapired damage i had once on a preivous car, cost me 900 big ones, but saved me my NCB, and over a year, has saved me that amount plus. It aslo means cheaper insurance the next year too...

Last edited by Bigbob3000; 02 December 2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02 December 2010, 08:10 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J.beazley

My advise would be assess the damage and price it up if its worth fixing without claiming then do so.
If the cost to repair eats into the £600 excess you might want to think are the insurance company likely to write it off in which case start looking for another motor.

Jay
As above ,glad your ok,not many people come out uninjured after a smash on the motorway ,let alone still be able to drive the car home intact. .What mileage your car has will make a difference when the insurance decide to make you an offer,however with a £600 excess ,you want to see what it will cost you to repair imho. Depending on the general condition,mileage service history,etc i would expect your insurance to offer you something between £2800 - £3500 Here are a few examples below :

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi.../200?logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi.../200?logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...25pf?logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...e/15?logcode=p

Last edited by midnight; 02 December 2010 at 08:37 AM.
Old 02 December 2010, 09:05 AM
scooby1doo1
Scooby Regular

Added pick cheers lads for your kind words.

My arm as started to hurt unsure why, no bruzing.

Just started to snow bad again.

2 main impacks middle and front, still not phoned insurance going to wait. If they was to pay out £2000-£2500 i would claim for sure.
Will keep you updated
Old 02 December 2010, 09:13 AM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

Put a claim in for getting hurt mate, that'll bump it up another couple of grand.

Trending Topics

Old 02 December 2010, 09:14 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

You should get more than that mate,they paid me out £2400 for my T reg 99 uk with 134K .No way should you accept £2000 imho after the excess you wont be able to buy a pushbike . What mileage does your car have, as the general condition looking at it now dont seem that bad.
Old 02 December 2010, 09:28 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by J.beazley

Jay
He hit another vehicle, he HAS to claim, the driver of said other vehicle will no doubt have to explain to his boss why his truck is now missing some paintwork.

OP, that will be written off, in parts alone and excluding a mandatory vic check, it will go over 2k

Next time remember, when entering a motorway, those lines are actually stop markings, and as you can see, summer tyres + snow, even in awd, wont stop you crashing....

Tony
Old 02 December 2010, 09:50 AM
rapid.STI
Scooby Regular

gutted for ya matey as above tho, main thing is your ok,, we all no how damgerous motorway accidents can be..

as tony said,, this will defo be a write off.. can't see em willing to repair it tbh.
Old 02 December 2010, 09:55 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

good that your ok, looked a nice car as well

Will defo be a write off, even if you sourced parts yourself it looks twisted to me so big bucks to repair
Old 02 December 2010, 09:57 AM
Finbin
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear about you accident.

I had a similar accident earlier this year with my car (MY99), it was a obvious write off.
The Insurance Company offer me £2500, which I declined and they raised it straight away to £2735.
I declined that and sent them about twenty classified ads of similar cars (age and mileage, from Pistonheads, Autotrader and Ebay) and gave them all my history about my car (service history, bodywork, standard of car, money spent on its up keeping and how well you have looked after it. Big it up.)
After many emails and phone calls stating that I couldn’t buy a replacement car for that money, the insurance company still would not change they offer. They quote the Glasses Guide and the CAP Guide value and said that was their final offer, they also wanted to charge my 22% of final settlement as salvage for me to keep my original car.
I then took up a claim with The Financial Ombudsman Services about the insurance company valuation, and within a day someone from the insurance company phoned me and asked me how much I wanted for my car, which she agreed to and said I could keep my old car at no extra cost.
This did take quite a few weeks but I got what I wanted in the end.

If you need it here is the address

The Financial Ombudsman Services
South Quay Plaza
183 Marsh Wall
London
E14 9SR
0845 080 1800

Hope this is helpful.
Old 02 December 2010, 10:24 AM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

Out of interest, was it North or South bound? My inlaws live just off there.
Old 02 December 2010, 10:37 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

As Tony says.... they'll write that off
Old 02 December 2010, 10:52 AM
deanb1980
Scooby Regular

if it was me i would phone the lorry company and ask them how much it will cost to repair there lorry and from there you can make a decision if its 250to repair the lorry i would pay them out and buy a rolling shell off here and swap everything over or get the parts off here to fix your own the only thing you will need to get done is the osr qtr panel which would repair
Old 02 December 2010, 11:24 AM
scooby1doo1
Scooby Regular

Just got off the phone with the company who the driver works for, diesel tank bent and needs new £900. His n/f drop link i think he called it is bent, and some pannel damage.

Just got off the phone with insurance, it's all my fault and there not going to dispute it.

Sombody will contact me about picking up my car within 4hrs, and i asked if this affects my prems as i'm protected, she said no you will not get any increase due the the crash or claim.

I asked how long is it to likly take to be paid out, she said if you dont dispute it straight away.
If they offer me £1500 thats good because to be fair i dont think is was worth much more.
That will then give me £5500 be buy a different car.

cheers again lads, AND drive save.
Old 02 December 2010, 11:33 AM
deanb1980
Scooby Regular

well you have been told a complete load of bs mate your premium will go up you wont loose your no claims but your premium will go up i know mine did when i had one and i was protected it will go up for the next 3 years and £1500 are you serious its worth at least another £1000 on top of that plus they will take £600 excess off the £1500 so £900 be carefull what your doing and saying to them do not take there first offer as there a company out to make profit like all companies i would go for £3000 give them copies of all the history do your homework and get 10 adverts of cars in similar condition and go from there and whatever they ask you put it up on here and we will help you so every offer they make tell them you will get back to them tomorrow and come on here and we will discuss it
Old 02 December 2010, 12:07 PM
Finbin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by deanb1980
well you have been told a complete load of bs mate your premium will go up you wont loose your no claims but your premium will go up i know mine did when i had one and i was protected it will go up for the next 3 years and £1500 are you serious its worth at least another £1000 on top of that plus they will take £600 excess off the £1500 so £900 be carefull what your doing and saying to them do not take there first offer as there a company out to make profit like all companies i would go for £3000 give them copies of all the history do your homework and get 10 adverts of cars in similar condition and go from there and whatever they ask you put it up on here and we will help you so every offer they make tell them you will get back to them tomorrow and come on here and we will discuss it
Totally agree with this comment, don't take your first offer and my premium did go up!
Old 02 December 2010, 12:19 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlh
Put a claim in for getting hurt mate, that'll bump it up another couple of grand.
You can't claim off your own insurance for personal injury to yourself.

I'm sure the lorry driver will have a stiff neck though.... and a nice x-mas bonus to go with it
Old 02 December 2010, 12:25 PM
scooby1doo1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by deanb1980
Yes was a post on here a few weeks back about protected, and I was informed that it will still go up.
Anyway if it goes up it does, my fault so i pay. I will not take the first offer as I have been advised, cheers.
Old 02 December 2010, 12:52 PM
Dirk Diggler 75
Scooby Regular

No wonder insurance prices are crippling us when people jump on the claim wagon..

Sorry to hear the bad news mate,all the best sorting it out....
Old 02 December 2010, 12:59 PM
JAutos
ScoobyWorx

Be carefull when documenting money spent on the car, was it insured for any modifications etc, as if you document any money spent on mods and they wernt declared then they will void your policy.
Old 02 December 2010, 01:34 PM
quattroowner
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Glad your okay mate...shame about the scoob..saw a comment on here about claiming for injury (Assume your okay) 2bh at's the reason why premium's are going threw the roof..un neccesary claim's...only if you aint hurt obviously.

Hope you get it all sorted and get back into another scoob soon
Old 02 December 2010, 02:06 PM
scooby1doo1
Scooby Regular

Not going to claim or try to bump it up, claimed off house insurance when the tv aerial got struck by lightning. Claimed for the damage don't only, infact I dint claim for a new aerial as i had a sky dish sonnet needed.

Going to look at an old 330d 02 plate tom, so def be no more drivin in the snow. Will keep inform of the insurance, but still had no call about picking it up.
Old 02 December 2010, 02:09 PM
scooby1doo1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JAutos
Be carefull when documenting money spent on the car, was it insured for any modifications etc, as if you document any money spent on mods and they wernt declared then they will void your policy.
Ya cheers mate, insurance informed of all mods and after market wheels.
Old 02 December 2010, 02:11 PM
scooby1doo1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by quattroowner
Glad your okay mate...shame about the scoob..saw a comment on here about claiming for injury (Assume your okay) 2bh at's the reason why premium's are going threw the roof..un neccesary claim's...only if you aint hurt obviously.

Hope you get it all sorted and get back into another scoob soon
No scoob this time mate, prob keep out of them now. Wanted to change for a while now, just dint want it to be this way.
Old 02 December 2010, 03:28 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Nee naw, nee naw, quick mate chase it and you might catch it!
Old 02 December 2010, 03:32 PM
lazadude
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pink_Floyd
Nee naw, nee naw, quick mate chase it and you might catch it!

lol well pm me a number and a name and il tell them to get in touch. I get atleast 2 of those bastages cold calling me during the week. Most of the time I have some fun, with some story.

they might leave me alone if i throw them some business, never know as stranger things have happened!
Old 02 December 2010, 04:53 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

It's this kind of bollocks thats the reason why our premiums are getting extortionate every year.

If he's not hurt which he's said he isn't then why should he claim for it?

Agreed he should claim as much as he can for the car because it will definately be written off.
But fraudulant claims **** me off because they are the sole reason why my premiums go up every year not down..
Old 02 December 2010, 05:36 PM
Saalro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dazdavies
It's this kind of bollocks thats the reason why our premiums are getting extortionate every year.

If he's not hurt which he's said he isn't then why should he claim for it?

Agreed he should claim as much as he can for the car because it will definately be written off.
But fraudulant claims **** me off because they are the sole reason why my premiums go up every year not down..
+1

I nearly made the mistake of putting in a false injury claim, couldn't be bothered in the end as it wasn't true and i couldn't be bothered to lie. Glad i didn't though because it's completely out of order for everyone who drives.

Thanks
Sam

Quick Reply: Befor i claim (crash)