New to Subaru

Search this Thread

Old 01 December 2010, 06:24 PM
lumite
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Subaru

Hi Gents

Looking to buy my first Subaru (looking to get something for £5k). Please reassure me of quality, reliability, mpg and performance for a standard 2l wrx. Or please recommend a model!

Many thanks

Ps converting from BMW 120d

Old 01 December 2010, 06:35 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Quality: if you are coming from a BMW, you will notice a lack of quality and especially the interior Seats are quite nice.

Reliability: used to be second to none. Now? Forget it, niggles abound and IM, the importers and Scoob dealers not the best customer care there is. Engines need re4gular servicing and care or they go bang and are expensive to rebuild.

mpg: Muahahahahahahahahahaha! You ARE joking, yes? 22-26mpg at best.

Performance: Pretty good, although the WRX isn't a patch on the STi, so I suggest you drive both before buying. Grip is excellent, handling, well it understeers, but that can be changed.
Old 01 December 2010, 06:37 PM
morandpeter
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

going back some years i have gone from ford ST to 2004 wrx with prodrive pack then tried life with a brand new 2008 audi s line (which is probably the least fun car ive ever owned!!!)
I now own a 95 classic wrx which is in my opinion just over the 300bhp mark (for very little money)
I must say that despite the odd rattle and squeak from the classic it is just fantastic to drive and would run circles round my old newage.

If I had 5k to spend on a car i would go for a mint low-ish miles classic sti, you should get some decent examples for that money.

Reliability? if the previous owner of my classic had done proper maintenance i wouldn't have an issue but seeing as im handy I replace old for new when something goes suspect, other than that it has never skipped a beat.

Performace wise the classic delivers the boost more aggresively than the newage. the only way i can describe it is, from a standstill and you launch the car it feels like an emergency stop .....but start : )
Old 01 December 2010, 06:39 PM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go for it. you won't be disappointed