Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2010, 12:12 PM
rapid.STI
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should i be worried??

basically i have had some 1 interested in my car

i got this email this morning...
For Information: This message originates in Germany http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2234578.htm HelloThe subaru impreza Wrx sti is still for sale? At what price? She has been making in England? Can you give me more detail?( factory in England or Japan). You give the certificate of conformity subaru and invoice with miles and sale price. Have you more photos and more details (power, engine, chassis, equipment, miles and work perform). Best regardsAlex My Phone No: 0671937378My Email Address: alexsub39@hotmail.fr

i thought it was 1 of them scam emails so ignored it, then i gets a reply in my for sale post on here.

saying there interested in my car but needs bigger pictures? bearing in mind there is a video link to youtube were i go round the car and point things out

then i gets this PM...
Hi mate,

as i wote in the post, im located in germany and look for a new project.

Please send me some bigger pics via email

guzzleguy@gmx.de

thx.

alex

ive told him there pics on PH and there is all he needs to no in the video..

should i be carefull or could it be genuine? sorry if your reading this whoever you are but ive seen that many scam for sale adds its worrying..
Old 17 November 2010, 12:35 PM
K1985
Scooby Regular

If he is interested, tell him payment MUST be made in cash and he must collect. Do not even entertain any kind of wire transfer / western union / money gram / him paying by cheque scenario. Cold hard cash, which you get checked at the bank, is the only way you should accept payment.
Old 17 November 2010, 12:42 PM
rapid.STI
Scooby Regular

If he is interested, tell him payment MUST be made in cash and he must collect. Do not even entertain any kind of wire transfer / western union / money gram / him paying by cheque scenario. Cold hard cash, which you get checked at the bank, is the only way you should accept payment.
thanks mate. cash is all i'll take any way could be a genuine buyer? just worryed thats all
Old 17 November 2010, 12:54 PM
wrx287
Scooby Regular

Seems genuine if he has contacted you 2 separate ways. Would want the cash in the bank or in my hand before i let the car go anywhere though.
Old 17 November 2010, 12:55 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

You have nothing to worry about unless he comes through your door with a machete.
If he is a SN member then I take it you have researched him?
I would send him any pics he wants and explain your concerns which may put him off is he is a scammer.
Old 17 November 2010, 01:00 PM
rapid.STI
Scooby Regular

You have nothing to worry about unless he comes through your door with a machete.
If he is a SN member then I take it you have researched him?
I would send him any pics he wants and explain your concerns which may put him off is he is a scammer.
he has just joined today,, nut he has give me to differant email addresses? if you have noticed? he aint replyed now so wonder if hes seen this post?
Old 17 November 2010, 01:48 PM
tomdscooby
Scooby Regular

i would say the first email address... @hotmail.fr is french...not german?
Old 17 November 2010, 01:59 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 174 Likes on 128 Posts

Ask him where he is located.
0671 is in Bad Kreuznach
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_codes_in_Germany#067
Old 17 November 2010, 02:01 PM
rapid.STI
Scooby Regular

i would say the first email address... @hotmail.fr is french...not german?
thats what was bothering me? then the other email is totally differant? we'll see what happens? ive told him cash on collection,
Old 17 November 2010, 02:09 PM
M4RKG
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

End of the day, if you're only happy with cash and one day he turns up with the price you agree... dont really see any problem.

The only possible way they get you is by bank transfer etc
Old 17 November 2010, 02:21 PM
rapid.STI
Scooby Regular

End of the day, if you're only happy with cash and one day he turns up with the price you agree... dont really see any problem.

The only possible way they get you is by bank transfer etc
it wasnt just that i was worried about,, you see them using other peoples adds with a lower price tag, it always says at the bottom "please email direct cos PH cos in my spam"

must admit tho all seems ok so far
Old 17 November 2010, 02:31 PM
M4RKG
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont think many would go as far to sign up on here aswell... sure they have a generic email that they just send out to loads of adverts to see who bites.
Old 17 November 2010, 03:08 PM
scoobyd00999
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't take cash .its not hard to mix a grands worth of fake ones with some real ones.Get him to put the money in your account and wait for it to clear before you part with the car
Old 17 November 2010, 03:16 PM
vash
Scooby Regular

Hi

Check with your bank and ask them what way of transferring funds from Germany is safe and cannot be with drawn later if it turns out to be fraudulent funds from the German end etc.

Tell him what ever option they give you is the only way you will accept funds.

If hes legit he wont find a problem with this.. if he argues.. delete mails and carry on with your life.

Majin
Old 17 November 2010, 03:23 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyd00999
I wouldn't take cash .its not hard to mix a grands worth of fake ones with some real ones.Get him to put the money in your account and wait for it to clear before you part with the car
I would take cash... it isn't hard to spend some time counting it out and making sure they are real. Hardly a chore is it?

Blimey.

5t.
Old 17 November 2010, 03:56 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fivetide
I would take cash... it isn't hard to spend some time counting it out and making sure they are real. Hardly a chore is it?

Blimey.

5t.
You have a point to a degree. I think though anyone handling 5k is going to be a bit nervous unless you have experience of forged notes etc.

If I were you Wayne I would arrange for him to arrange to withdraw the money at a UK bank if possible. You can watch him withdraw it and then pay it straight it to your account.
Old 17 November 2010, 04:29 PM
rapid.STI
Scooby Regular

You have a point to a degree. I think though anyone handling 5k is going to be a bit nervous unless you have experience of forged notes etc.

If I were you Wayne I would arrange for him to arrange to withdraw the money at a UK bank if possible. You can watch him withdraw it and then pay it straight it to your account.
thats a pretty honest way really,, we'll see what happens? aint heard nowt since i mentioned cash on collection
Old 17 November 2010, 08:17 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Just make sure some balaclava wearing "oldie" isn't waiting outside the bank in a black getaway car...

dunx

P.S. A certificate of conformity may be a stumbling block...
Old 17 November 2010, 08:36 PM
millsy3
Scooby Regular

i wouldnt sell a car to anyone abroad, just because of the hasel, personaly i wouldnt trust him as far as you could throw him, but thats personal preference, hope it goes well anyway whatever you decide.
Old 17 November 2010, 09:06 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Lots of performace cars seem to be bought by people from different European countries.

Two of my friends had people from Germany and Latvia buy their Skylines.... both sales went through without a problem, easier than dealing with people from this country!!!

Just be careful and you'll be ok... cash on collection of course.
Old 17 November 2010, 09:52 PM
rapid.STI
Scooby Regular

thanks for the advice guys, like i say ive not heard owt since i mentioned cash on collection? could be time differance? we'll see?

Dunx i'll let ya no which bank it is and i'll get him to hand it over outside the bank i want half tho
Old 17 November 2010, 09:56 PM
rapid.STI
Scooby Regular

speak of the devil!! yet another 1 has come through litterally went from writing the last post, then to my email to find this....

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2234578.htm Hello,I am searching for a SUB and yours is the one i have always dream of.A friend of me have a SUB and i like the engine noise, comfort inside, the line... Can i have more details about the bodyworks: is there scratches , dents, rust?alloys and tyres are good?Have you got the full services history?UK Spec you wrote in the ad? How much have miles and km ? It's the car i need and i ready to come to reserved it quickly.Can you send me some pics? Best regardsMy Email Address: morito100@hotmail.fr
Old 17 November 2010, 09:57 PM
K1985
Scooby Regular

Quite a lot of european countries don't get imports like we do, and particularly in Germany, car prices are quite high. It's often cheaper to buy abroad and bring it in.

If he brings cash with him, take it to the bank and they will check it for you.
Old 17 November 2010, 10:16 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

there was a post last month where an advert on PistonHeads had attracted interest from Germany --- cant remember what the outcome was -- might be worth doing a search and PM'ing the original poster.......
Old 17 November 2010, 10:20 PM
willsy369
Scooby Regular

i had a similar interest when i was selling my 05 wrx, the person actually sent me a bankers draft including the extra charge for importing to netherlands so seamed genuine and it was fake the bank just looked at it and said do not sell your car to this buyer its a fake!! beware matey
Old 17 November 2010, 10:22 PM
K1985
Scooby Regular

Due to the different emails, all from abroad, but from different people, I'd be basically saying Foxtrot Oscar to em. If it was one, it'd be different, but too dodgy with all these different people
Old 18 November 2010, 12:07 AM
scoobyd00999
Scooby Regular

sell it in the uk !!
Old 18 November 2010, 05:03 AM
scooblee
Scooby Regular

It's enough hassle selling a car already without all them emails from other European countries, I had dozens when selling my evo, didn't even read them, just delete them all.
And I would be more worried about fake bank notes in this country rather than any other, if it's cash take it to the bank and pay it in before your car drives away and you never see it again.
Old 18 November 2010, 01:11 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Originally Posted by Pink_Floyd
Agreed, done this myself before when selling my car.

To the OP - FYI a chap from Scotland bought my Spec C without ever having seen it in person or indeed sending anyone to look at it ... not everyone is Bad & scammers generally only get in touch once randomly by email. They're not that persistent

TX.
Old 18 November 2010, 01:13 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Originally Posted by willsy369
i had a similar interest when i was selling my 05 wrx, the person actually sent me a bankers draft including the extra charge for importing to netherlands so seamed genuine and it was fake the bank just looked at it and said do not sell your car to this buyer its a fake!! beware matey
FMPSL that must be the most well known scam going!

TX.

Quick Reply: Should i be worried??