Sponsored by:

Member near Cornwall

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2010, 10:48 AM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Member near Cornwall

Does anyone around the Cornwall area fancy looking over the car I'm buying next Monday (22nd) in the afternoon? I'm sure some beer tokens can be provided
Old 17 November 2010, 11:13 AM
K1985
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where in Cornwall and what car is it?
Old 17 November 2010, 11:15 AM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

It's Saltash mate and the car is a 2002 STi.
Old 17 November 2010, 11:22 AM
K1985
Scooby Regular

Cool, I work in Saltash, live in Plympton.

I won't be free before 5, but PM me the reg as I used to work for Vospers Subaru up in Exeter and may know something about the car as have seen so many.

As for getting the car checked, I could come up after 5pm and cast an eye over it, not before tho due to work. What I would advise though, and if the seller is genuine he will have no problem with this, is to take it over to Alan Jeffrey (enginetuner.co.uk) down in Plympton. He will stick the car on the ramps and check it all over for (IIRC) £50 + VAT.

You will probably need to give enginetuner a couple days notice, so if the car looks in good order and there are no funny noises and you are happy with it, then maybe offer to put a deposit on the car, agree a price, and if all ok at enginetuner you will buy it.

If it's a duffer, then come to some arrangement over the cost to put it right, or get your deposit back.
Old 17 November 2010, 11:28 AM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

I'll PM you mate
Old 17 November 2010, 12:16 PM
rapid.STI
Scooby Regular

nice to see members working together carnt wait to see the post that you have it you've done alot of searching my friend.

wayne.
Old 17 November 2010, 12:32 PM
K1985
Scooby Regular

Maybe when you get to the garage you can educate him a little, and inform him that this model STi is 305bhp with PPP, not 320 as per his advert lol.

Will try and check it out for you, if not, good luck mate!
Old 17 November 2010, 03:58 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rapid.STI
nice to see members working together carnt wait to see the post that you have it you've done alot of searching my friend.

wayne.
Cheers Wayne, Monday will reveal all I'll either be coming home on the bus or driving up hugged by my new STi seats
Old 17 November 2010, 06:18 PM
dnc
Scooby Regular

Just reinforces how great a community Subaru have in the UK!

Hope you get the car you are after PF.

PS can't go wrong over the Alan Jeffrey check up

dnc
Old 17 November 2010, 06:24 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

I got a call this evening from the dealer selling the car and it has been MOT'd with one advisory. Something to do with the tester not being happy that the pads can be easily checked for wear??

It's also been into the local Scooby main dealer for a service and check up. They inspected the exhaust back box and it's an aftermarket unit but not a Prodrive one. It looks like an H&S one if it's not Prodrive, as to my eye they look similar.

My only concern is if the car has been mapped or not as I've got no way of telling?
Old 17 November 2010, 06:29 PM
dnc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pink_Floyd
I got a call this evening from the dealer selling the car and it has been MOT'd with one advisory. Something to do with the tester not being happy that the pads can be easily checked for wear??

It's also been into the local Scooby main dealer for a service and check up. They inspected the exhaust back box and it's an aftermarket unit but not a Prodrive one. It looks like an H&S one if it's not Prodrive, as to my eye they look similar.

My only concern is if the car has been mapped or not as I've got no way of telling?
If you take it to Alan Jeffrey, he will be able to tell if the car has been mapped. One of the issues with buying these cars, not always 100% sure what you are getting (can be a pleasant aswell as a nasty surprise). Can also be an insurance issue - how do you declare mods you know nothing of.

Not trying to put you off................just a heads up to get an expert to have a look (Alan)

Last edited by dnc; 17 November 2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 17 November 2010, 06:35 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dnc
If you take it to Alan Jeffrey, he will be able to tell if the car has been mapped. One of the issues with buying these cars, not always 100% sure what you are getting (can be a pleasant aswell as a nasty surprise). Can also be an insurance issue - how do you declare mods you know nothing of.

Not trying to put you off................just a heads up to get an expert to have a look (Alan)
Thanks mate, sage advice
Old 17 November 2010, 06:45 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

I forgot to mention, I actually emailed Alan today to ask if he had mapped the car with it being local. I can't see the previous owner traveling too far for mapping if Alan was on his doorstep
Old 17 November 2010, 09:26 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Mystery solved
Old 17 November 2010, 09:52 PM
K1985
Scooby Regular

Come on then!!! Tell us?
Old 17 November 2010, 09:56 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Sorry mate

The previous owner got in touch via email and confirmed the car is completely standard with the exception of the Hayward and Scott backbox. So just got to hope it's OK when I travel down. After that it's sports cat, H&S centre and cat pipes, panel filter, plugs, Walbro and a trip to Andy F on 24th of January
Old 17 November 2010, 09:58 PM
K1985
Scooby Regular

Ok mate, when are you coming down? I will do my best to get to look at it before you leave just in case it's a rotter!
Old 17 November 2010, 10:02 PM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

I'm leaving on the evening of the 21st (This Sunday) I've got a ton of pics of it, spoken to the main dealer who knows the car, the previous owner so I'm confident it should be OK. I would appreciate it if you can pop along though mate