Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Legacy B4

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2002, 08:41 AM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am thinking of getting a bigger slightly more comfortable car and so may trade the Sti Type RA in for a Legacy B4 RSK - I'm gonna test drive one this weekend - but anybody got a view on these ? How quick are they and is the handling any good ? Are they fun ?

Any views really appreciated
Old 09 April 2002, 02:51 PM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Cool

You can find a few owners here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/legacyb4

Natch, some of us frequent the shadows of Scoobynet like the unwanted brother that no one ever talks of

On the car itself - it is often overlooked for its smaller, lighter brethren. Yes it is quick, and it handles well. It is also quieter, more refined and has more space. It has done very well in crash tests all over the world, too.

Is it perfect? No. But it is darn nice in so many ways. If you can get a McIntosh equipped car, you will get one that has one of the best OE car stereo systems available (and an interior tuned to match it) - it is not especially loud, but it boasts one of the lowest THD numbers out there (esp. nice when stuck in traffic).

Being a Sube, it responds to tuning, but is not as easy to fiddle as a WRX because the primary turbo can be fragile. If you are looking at a new one, the D rev is much better than earlier cars, and does not suffer with AFS failures (it runs Denso engine management). It has a stiffer body shell, even better isolation, more rigid suspension, all around it is a much improved car.

That is not to say the earlier cars are bad - the new one is just better.

If there is a weakness, the brakes are not as firm of feel or powerful as one may want, so fitting the 4pots from the WRX is a common mod.

Phew - hope that does it for now - I am sure others will chime in too
Old 10 April 2002, 05:57 PM
tonethebone
Scooby Newbie

Cool

I had an original Impreza ('94 UK model) Turbo before I got a Legacy GT-B (the estate version)in late '99, so any comments are compared with that rather than newer beasts like yours, but here goes.

The Legacy is far more "grown up" than the Impreza. This means less peaky, softer suspension, quieter, roomier and dare I say it, almost luxurious if you get the right trim level.

On most models you will find half or full leather, power most things, a great stereo, gangsta window tints and so on. You will also get a much lower profile car than the Impreza, which I happen to prefer.

While not as fast from a standing start as the Impreza, I have seen over 160 on an empty autoroute and above about 80mph it is definitely substantially quicker than a standard Impreza. Due I think to higher output either 260bhp on the auto or 280bhp on the manual and a slippier body.

When you first drive one I would urge caution because with the quieter engine and softer ride you will find yourself going into corners significantly quicker than you expect, with no real ability to actually go round them any faster!

As a high-speed, long distance cruiser it is superb. As a boy-racer you'd be better off with the Impreza.

Bad points:

Fuel economy is about the same as the Impreza and it must have Super unleaded or Optimax or you will get problems.

Valley of Death (VOD) The first turbo spools up at about 1500 rpm and the second at about 3500, thereafter giving loads of power to the red line. The problem is that when the second turbo gets air it robs the first, leading to a flat spot between 3500 and 4000, which is exactly where you usually want most torque. In fifth gear this works out at around 80 which is where you often want quick power, for example on a motorway when you want to clear slower traffic. You can drive round it using the gears but frankly it's sometimes a real pain. The Legacy groups are full of people trying to fix it but nobody has come up with a good solution yet.

Maintenance is not exactly cheap, but then mine is serviced by my local Subaru garage (ex-Prodrive semi-official import) and I think they are trying to make a point. Reliability has been typically bullet-proof.

Hopoe this helps as a quick snapshot. Would I get another? Yes.
Old 03 December 2002, 09:57 PM
zidek_accord
Scooby Newbie

anything else to look for?
Old 04 December 2002, 02:11 AM
B4 Boy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

All the above and....

Nobody knows what the hell it is!!! Always good fun at the lights!!

Take one for a drive.

Matt
Old 04 December 2002, 08:00 AM
GTB Limited
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A real sleeper