Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knockhill/foot&mouth

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2001, 08:30 AM
HunterB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suspect their attitude is born of ignorance rather than arrogance. As a farmer, you know and understand the consequences of not taking sufficient precautions to restrict the transfer of the disease. You should phone Knockhill again and ask to speak to Derek Butcher, the circuit owner. Once you have learned his views first-hand, you'll either be able to inform him and get them to implement appropriate precautions, or you'll know (and can let everyone else know) that they really don't care.

Brian
Old 15 March 2001, 09:10 AM
JohnS

I've been talking to them again this morning, about our event this weekend, and the effect of Foot and Mouth.

They are having regular meetings and discussions (almost daily) with the MSA and other authorities.

The current guidelines are that permanent motor sport facilities which are well away from affected areas can operate as per normal, as do other sporting venues such as football grounds etc.

At present, the outbreak in Scotland is confined to Dumfries and Galloway, which is more than one hours drive from the area, and it's likely that anyone travelling from this area will be "disinfected" on departing the area, so the chances of the virus remaining on the car through all of this, and then infecting animals some miles from Knockhill are astronomically small.

Most Motor Circuits have only small numbers of people arriving every day (a few hundred typically), which is completely insignificant compared to nearby shopping centres.

However, they are in almost daily conversion with the necessary authorities, and they will fully comply with any measures introduced with immediate effect.

Crail is slightly different, as they have a very large gathering of cars, coming from all over the country, and a large number of them will be camping overnight on the site (it's an evening and whole of next day type event). There are a large number of farms just over the fence from where people will be gathered at Crail, and Willie is quite rightly taking the necessary precautions.
Old 15 March 2001, 10:22 AM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

cheers lads,
JohnS,
It is good to know that you have looked into this with K/hill.
Here are a few figures for you,there are now(as 8.45am today) 33 cases in Dumfries and Galloway area and 232 cases in the UK.there were 28 new cases yesterday,proof that things are out of control.
I connot agree with you over your comment on shopping centres because they are not slap bang in the middle of the countryside and also we know for a fact,that people are travelling from across the country to K/hill.Wether they have been disenfected or not K/hill should be seen to be doing something.To not already have disenfected mats in place is crazy,no wonder,with examples like this Europe and Ireland are saying our precautions are not strict enough.

john
Old 15 March 2001, 12:58 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Over the weekend i E-mailed Knockhill to see what precautions would be in place for Saturday.As i had not received a reply i phoned them and was told that as they are a motorsport centre,they did not have to take any.With an attitude like this no wonder the disease is spreading out of control.

I was looking forward to going,but am now giving it second thoughts as i am a farmer.I see that Crail,on the Saturday night/Sunday are taking precautions, so why K/hill are not,is ridiculous.

What do you lot think of this attitude?

john
Old 15 March 2001, 03:10 PM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Just spoken to Derek Butcher himself and he has told me that there is going to be a disinfected mat on the road in.He told me that this has been mentioned a number of times today, so wether it was JohnS or other people phoning expressing concern,i thank you,because i will now definitely be there.

Now,who do i have to knock over the head to get some track time?

john
Old 15 March 2001, 04:22 PM
TFyus
Scooby Regular

good work/info chaps

rw
Old 15 March 2001, 09:41 PM
dougies549
Scooby Regular

Hello John (t-uk)

Glad to see someone else is as concerned with the foot and mouth as we are!

Will see you there on Saturday - think there is a few of us meeting at maccy dees at about 11 and going for a drive before knockhill (not definate yet) So come along if u want - if not see ya there.

dougie+diana