ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

V Power vs Tesco momentum

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2010, 05:32 PM
alp27
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V Power vs Tesco momentum

I have a tesco 100 yards from my office and im tempted to start filling up with their momentum 99 RON rather than treking 10 miles to my nearest shell for V Power. Has anyone had any experince of both and if so is there a massive difference.

Also the clubcard factor comes into play - i.e. Channel crossing vouchers for trips to the ring

your thoughts would be appreciated? Cheers
Old 13 October 2010, 05:35 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine was mapped for it, never had any issues really
Old 13 October 2010, 05:38 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

its an ongoign raging argument lol

general info seems to be vpower is 99ron with adatives, momentum is 99ron and just a rebrand of tesco99.

although i did notice all the press info released about it was only ever against 97 and 95 petrol not vpower.

personaly i use vpowers due to some bad stories on tesco99 and being mapped for vpower
Old 13 October 2010, 05:39 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This one has been done a few times and if you hit the search button and type in tesco 99,it should give you a few post. Personally i use 99 from tesco,and have done for the last 5 years with no probs ,but i also use v power as well,it just depends where i am when it comes to filling up.Tesco has the bonus of the clubcard as you mention where as the shell drivers club is crap imho
Old 13 October 2010, 05:59 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I used to use the Tesco stuff, but supplies were VERY unreliable and Tesco couldn't give a flying ****
NEVER known both our local Shell stations to run out of V-Power at once
Old 13 October 2010, 06:34 PM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

Mines mapped for V power but regularly use Momentum as it's now called - no issues with either, Clubcard a bonus and the V=power club is glossy but crap
Old 13 October 2010, 06:38 PM
alp27
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by midnight
This one has been done a few times and if you hit the search button and type in tesco 99,it should give you a few post. Personally i use 99 from tesco,and have done for the last 5 years with no probs ,but i also use v power as well,it just depends where i am when it comes to filling up.Tesco has the bonus of the clubcard as you mention where as the shell drivers club is crap imho
Sorry fella should have done a search before posting.. Opps... Note to self search is my friend
Old 13 October 2010, 06:39 PM
daz1968
Scooby Regular

I have no choice at the moment they have knocked the shell garage by me down, so using momentum 99 on a jdm MY05 std jap map no problems at all, my car can't tell the difference between the 2.
Old 13 October 2010, 07:32 PM
Oh-Flock
Master Flocker

i always use (tesco) it and never had any problems in either of my subaru's
Old 13 October 2010, 07:40 PM
scoobyschef
Scooby Regular

mine was mapped for v-power but on occasions i used to put tesco in it, on my weekly 350 round trip i used to find v power more responsive but tesco slightly better on the mpg

imho
Old 13 October 2010, 08:38 PM
John306
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
I used to use the Tesco stuff, but supplies were VERY unreliable
I couldn't agree with this more, on many occasions I've been to tesco petrol stations and they have had no 99. There is a shell much closer to me than a tesco so I usually use that anyway but I've never noticed a real difference between the two. It may well make a big difference in a heavily tuned car though
Old 13 October 2010, 09:18 PM
shawn r
Scooby Regular

i have a small tesco 5 mins from house and they always seem to have it in, plus its mapped for it on this scoob but have used it in others for last 2 years or so.

happy with it.
Old 13 October 2010, 09:24 PM
Clarky2.5wrx
Scooby Regular

safest bet is stick to what your car has been mapped on, mine has been mapped on v power thats all i use, I personally dont trust any supermarket fuel.
Old 13 October 2010, 10:08 PM
Scooby Jo
Scooby Regular

I tried both when I bought the car a couple of months ago, one after the other obviously as I had no idea what it was mapped to. Mine prefers Tesco, but it wouldnt have mattered either way - it's all bloomin expensive!
Old 13 October 2010, 10:15 PM
shag
Scooby Regular

mine was mapped for tesco 99, and is usually cheaper so thats what i use, i have tried both and found shell seams to keep the power from a full tank down to empty, (i use a tank full every week) but the tesco tends to "go off" so to speak near to refill time. weird?!
Old 13 October 2010, 10:18 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

both exactly the same albeit apparently very minor diffrences. i use both with no issues. just use whichever is nearest at the time imo
Old 14 October 2010, 07:49 AM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

For the first five years shell 230 to the tank

The last five and half years 250 to the tank

No problems whatsoever
Old 14 October 2010, 10:28 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

general info seems to be vpower is 99ron with addatives
Sorry to be pedantic; but its the additives that makes it 99ron; like any other fuel really as they all contain octane boosters and "cleaning" additive of some form. Its base fuel is likely to be 95RON and the additives bring it up to its marketed 99RON.

For VPower, these additives include Toluene (most fuels contain this), Xylene and Trimethylbenzene (other fuels somtimes use MTBE instead like BP do). Tesco differs in that it uses Ethanol. They are all octane boosters of one form or another, but with different burning properties and energy content.

Inccidentally all fuels contain additives of some form for both octane and to promote cleaner burning (oxygenates). Be it supermarket 95Ron or BP ultimate 102Ron (now discontinued) .

Here's what Vpower has: http://www-static.shell.com/static/a...hellvpower.pdf (page three under additional information, alternative source: http://www.formulastudent.com/Librar...MSDS.sflb.ashx bottom of page one), similar ingredient can be found in other brand and grade fuels. But like all other fuel companies, it refrains from publishing the quanities of each active ingreident, so we can never properly compare it.

Unfortunately what MSDS I found on Momentum or Tesco 99RON just shows the ingredients as "gasoline", which is about as useful as a chocolate fireguard. But its prime oxygenate is Ethanol.

In respects its different ways of achieving the same end objective as cheaply as possible (to maximise profit). To truely compare both fuels we need to know its burn speed, energy content and its stability for both short term and long term storage (i.e how good is it after spending two weeks in your fuel tank).

Last edited by ALi-B; 14 October 2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 14 October 2010, 10:35 AM
alp27
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Sorry to be pedantic; but its the additives that makes it 99ron; like any other fuel really as they all contain octane boosters and "cleaning" additive of some form. Its base fuel is likely to be 95RON and the additives bring it up to its marketed 99RON.

For VPower, these additives include Toluene (most fuels contain this), Xylene and Trimethylbenzene (other fuels somtimes use MTBE instead like BP do). Tesco differs in that it uses Ethanol. They are all octane boosters of one form or another, but with different burning properties and energy content.

Inccidentally all fuels contain additives of some form for both octane and to promote cleaner burning (oxygenates). Be it supermarket 95Ron or BP ultimate 102Ron (now discontinued) .

Here's what Vpower has: http://www-static.shell.com/static/a...hellvpower.pdf (page three under additional information, alternative source: http://www.formulastudent.com/Librar...MSDS.sflb.ashx bottom of page one), similar ingredient can be found in other brand and grade fuels. But like all other fuel companies, it refrains from publishing the quanities of each active ingreident, so we can never properly compare it.

Unfortunately what MSDS I found on Momentum or Tesco 99RON just shows the ingredients as "gasoline", which is about as useful as a chocolate fireguard. But its prime oxygenate is Ethanol.

In respects its different ways of achieving the same end objective as cheaply as possible (to maximise profit). To truely compare both fuels we need to know its burn speed, energy content and its stability for both short term and long term storage (i.e how good is it after spending two weeks in your fuel tank).
Cracking post mate and very informative. Im going to give Momentum a try for a few tanks and see if it makes a difference.
Old 14 October 2010, 10:46 AM
fiveskin
Scooby Regular

i remember an episode of 5th gear where they tested fuels. i remember Vpower being better than bp's equivalent on the impreza in terms of power and mpg... there was a third petrol they tested but i cant think what it was. was it maybe tesco? cant get on youtube so cant hunt it down.

i personally wouldnt use tesco's though after that fuel hiccup they had a few years back. wasnt something being sold as something else? or something was added that caused disaster?
another reason i wouldnt use tesco is i have Vpower just a mile to the east or a mile to the west.
Old 14 October 2010, 11:05 AM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Mine's mapped for V Power and doesn't run as well on Tescos 99. Good for emergencies but that's it.
Old 14 October 2010, 11:13 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by fiveskin
i remember an episode of 5th gear where they tested fuels.... cant get on youtube so cant hunt it down.
Don't bother; 5th gear are not impartial. Especially when it comes to promoting choice manufacturer's products, as they are sponsored by advertisers and manufacturers. This is why its called commercial television.

Just like the gadget show.

This is where the old style "funded by the tax payer" Top Gear may have been handy.
Old 14 October 2010, 11:30 AM
alp27
Scooby Regular

This is where the old style "funded by the tax payer" Top Gear may have been handy.
Shame they spend most of their time now doing stupid challenges, making floating cars, droptop people carriers and burning caravans rather than doing proper car reviews and offering good consumer advice.
Old 14 October 2010, 11:42 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

yeah you are being pedantic lol

99 ron with additioanl adatives.

that better?

lol