Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should the wanted section be restricted to only paid members viewing it?
Yes
38.33%
No
50.00%
Don't mind
11.67%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

The wanted section should it be locked down?

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2010, 08:23 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default The wanted section should it be locked down?

With all of the recent scams on here and the work that the admin team have done to and stop it I think the only real way to plug a gaping hole in the system is to stop non paying members from being able to view the wanted section because it allows them to bypass the system and simply pm a user offering them parts with no comeback.

Would you like to see this? I think it's a benefit to all of us and I've been caught out twice over the last 9 years by dodgy individuals replying to wanted adverts offering parts that either weren't what they were supposed to be or damaged and covered up using photoshop

I'd be grateful if you would add your input please and maybe if we voice our opinion the admin team might listen to us

Thanks,

Paul
Old 28 September 2010, 08:38 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, without a doubt it should be locked down and tbh I think that offers of items for sale should be reported if made by PM as well.

I'm also cheesed off by members disguising items for sale in What's It Worth? threads as well, even if you report them it still takes a while for them to be zapped. They appear in the General Forum, General Technical and recently I have noticed some in the Members Gallery as well.

Another good move would be a reporting system for sellers requesting payment by PayPal gift as there is no comeback that can made by the purchaser; common sense I know but it still continues to happen.

We all need to take care when buying anything online and we all need to report these issues and drive the scanners off Scoobynet.
Old 28 September 2010, 08:40 PM
fiveskin
Scooby Regular

hard one to decide that. As i like the idea that someone who's not a paying member (i.e they dont own an impreza and are mearly breaking one at the moment) can contact me with a part i need.

is there no way it could be so only the paying members can start threads, ANY member can view or comment on the thread, but only paying members can PM a person from it?

its hard. the only thing i could think of is forcing the actual sales to go through ebay for security......but then theres the problem of losing the 10% earning

hmmmmmm
Old 28 September 2010, 08:43 PM
fiveskin
Scooby Regular

maybe add CONFLICTED to the poll? cos i definitley do mind... but im not a yes or no...
Old 28 September 2010, 09:05 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fiveskin
hard one to decide that. As i like the idea that someone who's not a paying member (i.e they dont own an impreza and are mearly breaking one at the moment) can contact me with a part i need.

is there no way it could be so only the paying members can start threads, ANY member can view or comment on the thread, but only paying members can PM a person from it?

its hard. the only thing i could think of is forcing the actual sales to go through ebay for security......but then theres the problem of losing the 10% earning

hmmmmmm
Surely if someone is breaking a car then it is worth a few Quid to become a member?

You would have to stop all none paying members from being able to PM to make that work.
Old 28 September 2010, 09:27 PM
f4la k
Scooby Regular

Dont think paying to advertise things will stop scammers, as they will pay the couple o quid and advertise anyway. I think you just have to be wary and dont buy off just anybody. Ive been using this site for years but only just joined a year ago and over the year i know who id buy off of and who id stay away from.
Old 28 September 2010, 09:32 PM
ukimpreza
Scooby Regular

Personally i agree, to pm i think you should be a paying member, then you can be traced if you rip someone off (which seems to happen often at min ) people that say no its ok obviously havent had it happen to them but if they had there views would change fast.
Old 28 September 2010, 09:33 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

You'll never stop scamming but every little helps.

Aaron
Old 28 September 2010, 09:35 PM
ukimpreza
Scooby Regular

or make the whole site paying only. its less than a pint a month. Then everyones names addresses etc are known to the mods in the event of scamming.
Old 28 September 2010, 09:48 PM
fiveskin
Scooby Regular

i'd be happy with the PM's for paying members only. thats a very good idea.
Old 28 September 2010, 11:37 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fiveskin
i'd be happy with the PM's for paying members only. thats a very good idea.
I think you have something there, that idea is even better than mine
Old 29 September 2010, 12:21 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

I suggest a common sense sticky at top of wanted section alerting "fools" to the perils of buying from people with a low post count &/or non paying members

TX.
Old 29 September 2010, 12:29 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Who reads the stickies? It's like asking a bloke to read an instruction book lol All of the threads asking why member couldn't post in for sale despite the stickies says it all really
Old 29 September 2010, 12:31 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

^^ I rest my case you deserve it

TX.
Old 29 September 2010, 12:37 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
^^ I rest my case you deserve it

TX.
care to elaborate?
Old 29 September 2010, 06:40 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ukimpreza
or make the whole site paying only. its less than a pint a month. Then everyones names addresses etc are known to the mods in the event of scamming.
It's already losing traffic. You want to hammer the final nail in?
Old 29 September 2010, 06:50 AM
scooby1doo1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Waste of time may stop a few but will not stop people in the no.
I think it cost me £10 and I think that was for a 10yr service.
So some body wants to scam an unsuspecting member, set a false account up pay your £10 and rip at your will.
Ha hah you say, you now have his her details cos they a paying member. Like I said not for the people in the no, and scammers tend to be in the no.

Last edited by scooby1doo1; 29 September 2010 at 07:03 AM.
Old 29 September 2010, 09:34 AM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

Personally i agree, to pm i think you should be a paying member, then you can be traced if you rip someone off (which seems to happen often at min ) people that say no its ok obviously havent had it happen to them but if they had there views would change fast.
If you get a pm you can allways ignore it. No ones holding a gun to your head.

Brilliant idea, If I had to pay to use all the sites I go on there wouldn't be any money for a pint.

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
It's already losing traffic. You want to hammer the final nail in?
Quite right, The nails allready half in IMO. The halfwits that joined when the **** dropped out of Impreza market didn't do it any favours. If you don't trust someone go and pick your item up in person or pay the fees on paypal and your covered. I would sooner by an Item of an established member who's not paid up than a newbie who's chucked a tenner IB's way any day of the week.

Last edited by jonny_693; 29 September 2010 at 09:39 AM.
Old 29 September 2010, 10:42 AM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

So i join for a tenner... Sell a engine for 2 grand what i dont have and still get away with it

See people moaning about payed members aswell on the scam threads
Old 29 September 2010, 11:13 AM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Anyone who thinks, just because someone is paid a member the purchase of goods is guaranteed is deluded!

Joe Pikey pays his membership then heads straight for the for sale section with his Aladins cave of tuning parts, sits back and waits for people to pepper his paypal account with their hard earned!
All this paid member bull$hit is just a fale sense of security..."oh, this guy has paid his tenner so he must be genuine, that means its safe to send 500quid for a part he doesnt have"

IMO if SN wants to charge people to use the for sale section they should offer a lot more than this false sense of security.

Last edited by jayallen; 29 September 2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 29 September 2010, 12:36 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

I don't entirely agree with that but the principle is there and god knows why it isn't used. In nearly every single case where a user has been ripped off it's by a member who hasn't paid to advertise, you would think because ripping people off is easy money it would be money well spent to advertise but it doesn't work that way

Users of the internet will never be safe from con artists but we should try stop it as much as we can.
Old 29 September 2010, 01:00 PM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

The reason i have only got things from known members or ive picked up in person... Atleast half of the people who have been ripped off woundnt have been if they had just checked previous posts from the rip off merchants
Old 29 September 2010, 01:03 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Originally Posted by Paulo P
care to elaborate?
If you don't read the stickies (so you say) & come to a sticky end then you've only got yourself to blame when you get scammed ...

TX.
Old 29 September 2010, 01:05 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's about reducing opportunist rip offs. If all snet sales areas were dependent on being a member to start a forsale thread, it would push the small time opportunist toss monkeys to the next site that offers greater anonymity for their crime.

If someone really wants to rip you they will, but I reckon 90% of rips offs are lazy bastids exploiting the ease of 'register, post, kerching'. Nobody can save stupid people from themselves, that's not the issue, the issue is doing more however small or insignificant to reduce internet forum crime
Old 29 September 2010, 01:09 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Originally Posted by jayallen
Anyone who thinks, just because someone is paid a member the purchase of goods is guaranteed is deluded!
It's an indicator of trust along with a load of other things eg high post count, been a member for a long time, good trader score, personal experience of trading with them before etc etc. If you buy from someone with a low post count who is a brand new member with zero trade score or negative & don't know them from Adam then proceed to pay for the item using Paypal as a gift (!) then I guess you do so with your eyes open ...

TX.
Old 29 September 2010, 01:17 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Personally I think all for sale sections / wanted should be for fully paid up members at least that way you know admin have got full details on the member, so they can be tracked down.

It's seems to be that non paying members try it on buy popping things for sale in different sections on here such as the general and gallery section.

I think it's about time IB put a measure in place that if someone does get stung they have all the information in place and can give the details up to the police. Let's get rid of the scammers on here which make it for an unpleasant experience buying off this site
Old 29 September 2010, 03:24 PM
scooby1doo1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevie1982
Personally I think all for sale sections / wanted should be for fully paid up members at least that way you know admin have got full details on the member, so they can be tracked down.

It's seems to be that non paying members try it on buy popping things for sale in different sections on here such as the general and gallery section.

I think it's about time IB put a measure in place that if someone does get stung they have all the information in place and can give the details up to the police. Let's get rid of the scammers on here which make it for an unpleasant experience buying off this site
Fake name address along with fake email address fake bank details and so on, as said above if you shop online your at risk.
Old 01 October 2010, 09:33 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The problem is that recently a whole spate of bugs came in which made the site very slow, nigh on unusable and many advertisers threatened to leave etc.

I think if you want to make the whole site pay only you'd need to have a better service level agreement with the provider - what's there now has been somewhat more patchy since the site was moved to the US IMHO, despite all the hype.

This is a good site and I use it a lot but I think overall if you make it pay only you would drive a lot of people away onto regional or sidc forums.

Just a thought.
Old 01 October 2010, 12:04 PM
KickboxingCrazy
Scooby Regular

i think people need to use there brain abit more tbh. instead of blaming the site there on for the scammers.
the sites put alot of good features in place like feedback (similar to ebay) ive bought loads of stuff off here and never been scammed.

for example if someone PM's you that has 35 feedback all 100% a paid member, 5000 posts and been on here since 2004 there going to be known, you will have there address theres pretty much no risk.
or theres the other end, you get the drift.

i think the wanted section is VERY helpfull and has helped me out with parts for very good prices over the years. lots cheaper the when i see them for sale in sale section where you have no chance to buy the part if its decent. and everyone that dont want to buy the part says oh thats too cheap it should at least be more. drives me mad.
Old 02 October 2010, 08:18 PM
herpedian
Scooby Newbie

I am a newbie on here.I dont have an impreza(forester sport turbo)but have found the wanted section invaluable.I started reading the posts on this poll thinking that it would be wrong to charge everyone to pm etc on parts.I am a non payer,but i think that it probably would be a good idea to start charging.It would also be an idea to not only have names,addresses etc but to also keep card details,so that any scammers can have the cash taken back from them immediately..maybe have the payment pending until goods are recieved and inspected etc. I know it might be a bit controvertial,but its peace of mind for all...we dont want this great site turning out to be the ugly sister of ebay,where it seems you can get away with anything and the innocent get kicked in the knackers

Quick Reply: The wanted section should it be locked down?