Sponsored by:

Help with Courtesy car for insurance claim

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2001, 09:53 AM
Mandi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

I really need some help regarding when a courtesy car will be provided for an insurance claim.
My dad was involved in an accident that was not his fault and the car has been written off. They are therefore left without a car and living in a village makes things difficult.
My dad is insured fully comprehensive, but the insurance co have said that they will not provide a courtesy car unless the other party admit it was their fault. Is this correct as I thought fully comprehensive meant you would get a car until the claim is resolved.

Please help!!

Mandi
Old 13 March 2001, 10:00 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to hear that Mandi - thank you for the £2 pledge!!

Most comprehensive policies offer a courtesy car while yours is in for repair - I take it that your dads car is in a crash repairers somewhere?? The insurance company normally insists that you use their 'Approved' repairers. If he has then I cannot see any problem with the Insurance Co. letting him have a car.

Failing that he will have to hire a car and claim it back from the 3rd party - if he is in the AA or Rac or some such motoring club then he should be able to get them to help him sort it.

I hope he gets it worked out - you know that there are loads of old cars around with, say 3 months MOT on, for around £300?? it may be a cheaper route (and this can be claimed back too!) - just a thought.

Pete
Old 13 March 2001, 10:02 AM
Shark
Scooby Regular

Being fully comp you do not get a courtesy car straight away. They will provide a hire car if the other party admits fault as they can then claim the cost back.

The best option is to go to one of these companies that do the whole package. They take over the claim, get your car repaired and provide a hire car. Also they do personal injury.

Try 01923 777722, Claims Assist and Recovery Services.

David
Old 13 March 2001, 10:02 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Unless your insurance specifically states that you get a courtesy car, it isn't automatic. You can get a hire car until the repairs are done, but you have to pay for it yourself and claim off the other drivers insurance. Unless it is a clear cut case and the other driver is at fault, you may well not get all of the cost of the hire car back. The other insurance company might even refuse point blank to pay anything. My advice would be to get the smallest/cheapest hire car for essential journeys only. Also be prepared to wait a long time for any reimbursement that may come.

Jerome.
Old 13 March 2001, 10:03 AM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Mandy,

Unfortunately most insurers will only provide a courtesy car (subject to availability and the use of one of their approved repairers) until the vehicle is either repaired and deemed to be a write off.

If it is definately not your parents fault I would probably speak directly to the Third Party insurers - however I feel that in this instance it is probable that they will advise that a hire car/courtesy car is not available due to the write off...

Sorry if that is a bit jumbled up....I'm suffering a bit this morning...everything seems cloudy!!
Old 13 March 2001, 10:51 AM
Mandi
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the advice.

I`m still not really sure what they should do. Basically my dad was parked up and sitting in the car, the trailer of a lorry hit my dad at the rear drivers side, but then carried on and dragged him into the car infront, which then went into the car infront. I believe it cannot possibly be my dads fault but it was the driver of the lorries 1st day and when my dad spoke to them they said they were not accepting liability.

My dad has taken his car to recommended garage but they have said it is a write off.

The reason they need a car is so my mum can get to work or she may lose her job, What would you suggest they do?

Mandi

[This message has been edited by Mandi (edited 13 March 2001).]
Old 13 March 2001, 11:39 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a clear cut case of the other drivers fault. I'm not suprised they are not admitting liability. It can invalidate your insurance if you do.

My advice would, as I said before, get the cheapest hire car you can for the days your Mum needs to be able to get to work. Be prepared though for not getting the cost of the hire car back.

I would also hassle the insurance company/broker to get a pay out as quickly as possible. Be a complete nuisance and they will want to get your Dad's case sorted as soon as possible.

Good luck.

Jerome.