Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

MOT failure..... grey import emissions HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11 August 2010, 11:54 AM
cerevantes
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MOT failure..... grey import emissions HELP!

I recently became the proud owner of a fabulous 1996 Japanese import WRX Turbo. It is in good nick and runs like a champ!

Everything was going well and I was happy until I took it in to get it's MOT, that's when my world came crashing down to earth with the force of a 300 Megaton bomb!!!!!!!

There were the usual bits and bobs that you find during an MOT no problem, then rear shocks destroyed and cracked wheel :-(

Then I got hit with the showstopper. It failed also because the emission was WAY too high. Okay here is where it gets strange, Car is an M Reg.... but VOSA's date of first use is 31 Dec 1996 (doesn't add up does it? that makes it a P reg) Plus, after research my engine type was only used 94-95..... What emission standard should it be tested to 95 or 96? Surely the VOSA date of first use is wrong? Has anyone ran into this problem before?

I apologise if this all sounds like the rantings of a madman but I am desperate and need any help I can get. I really don't want to have 2,200 quid paperweight sitting in my drive.

Here are the vehicle specifics:

VIN: GC8-033063
Model: CG8C48D
Engine: EJ20GDW4HE

Oh Also...... After speaking with the tester he informed me he tested with the default testing standards as he said there wasn't an exact match in the guide however, he did say there was a similar vehicle listed but he didn't test it to those standards. He also said that the Lambda sensor had been removed and that he could not find the wiring that would connect the Lambda sensor to the car. Also does this vehicle even have a Lambda sensor?
Old 11 August 2010, 12:04 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

you will need the 02 sorting and has the car been decat`d ?
Old 11 August 2010, 12:17 PM
war1974
Scooby Regular

as above sounds like de catted and you most defo need the lamda sensor!

dvla get imports wrong all the time thats why you often see people advertising for turbo cars registered as sports etc dont know how you would change it but speak to them would be a start!
Old 11 August 2010, 12:35 PM
winker
Scooby Regular

Default mot

Where in the country are you.
Old 11 August 2010, 12:50 PM
SHEGGS
Scooby Newbie

HI, I'VE GOT A COPY OF ALL IMPREZA MODEL CODES FROM 1992 - 2000.
VIN NUMBER CHASSIS CODES - GC8 = 2.0L IMPREZA SALOON(classic).

MODEL CODES - GC8C48D = WRX 4 DOOR /238 BHP 1992 -1995

ENGINE CODES -EJ-20 =1994cc AWD( all wheel drive).
ENGINE CODES - EJ -20G = 1994cc DOHC 16V TURBO- found in early model JDM WRXs AND STIs.
Old 11 August 2010, 02:16 PM
speedy steve
Scooby Regular

Hi I have more or less the same problem every time the MOT comes round,

1stly if its decatted you need to put on a cat at least for the MOT test take it back off afterwards if you want but youll need at least the downpipe cat to pass.

If your lambda sensor really is unplugged the car will be running extreamly rich at all times, not a good thing and would probably washout your bores in no time which will ultimately kill the engine..

Your fuel economy would probably be absolutely teriffing and I would imagine the overall driving experience would be pretty bad, what is more likely is the "cat on fire" sensor is not connected this would be no big deal and doesnt even show up as a fault on the ECU.

I believe there are ways to run the car without a lambda sensor at all but this requires an alternative ECU & a mapper who knows what he's doing..
( not a DIY job at all )

exactly what were your emission readings ?

SS
Old 11 August 2010, 02:19 PM
Korrosiv
Scooby Regular

As above sounds like a de-cat, get a cat stuck in for the test if it's a dodge you're after.

Why not use a sports cat and forget about the hassle? Should pass emmisions with little power loss.
Old 18 August 2010, 10:58 AM
sharon32
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by cerevantes
I recently became the proud owner of a fabulous 1996 Japanese import WRX Turbo. It is in good nick and runs like a champ!

Everything was going well and I was happy until I took it in to get it's MOT, that's when my world came crashing down to earth with the force of a 300 Megaton bomb!!!!!!!

There were the usual bits and bobs that you find during an MOT no problem, then rear shocks destroyed and cracked wheel :-(

Then I got hit with the showstopper. It failed also because the emission was WAY too high. Okay here is where it gets strange, Car is an M Reg.... but VOSA's date of first use is 31 Dec 1996 (doesn't add up does it? that makes it a P reg) Plus, after research my engine type was only used 94-95..... What emission standard should it be tested to 95 or 96? Surely the VOSA date of first use is wrong? Has anyone ran into this problem before?

I apologise if this all sounds like the rantings of a madman but I am desperate and need any help I can get. I really don't want to have 2,200 quid paperweight sitting in my drive.

Here are the vehicle specifics:

Oh Also...... After speaking with the tester he informed me he tested with the default testing standards as he said there wasn't an exact match in the guide however, he did say there was a similar vehicle listed but he didn't test it to those standards. He also said that the Lambda sensor had been removed and that he could not find the wiring that would connect the Lambda sensor to the car. Also does this vehicle even have a Lambda sensor?
mines has decat its a nightmare mot times however use some charm to an mot tester that trusts u and u trust him pay cash and as long as all else is ok with the car it should go through if u know what i mean
Old 18 August 2010, 11:02 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

agree with all the above comments, i used to keep a full system at the garage who used to do the mot, and charge £20.00 for them to swap the exhausts over then back after the MOT + the MOT fee

the 20.00 covered the storage and swap time
Old 18 August 2010, 11:06 AM
sharon32
Scooby Newbie

i was doing that also borrowing an exhaust for mot times but now the tester knows i look after the car so its all good for me
Old 18 August 2010, 11:09 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

standard UK complete exhaust, borrow it from someone nearby to you.
The lambda sensor is an easy fix as you can use generic 3 wire kits for about £30.
Standard shocks should be about £20 each.
Standard wheels and tyres about £100 a set

I would throw a few ****s into who you bought it from if it needs this lot doing to it and you paid £2k

From memory the lambda on your car is down the front in the exhaust manifold although you could fit the lambda to the downpipe if the exhaust is from a 99 and just splice/extend the 3 wires.
Stop being a big jessie, man up and get your car sorted, its a doddle
Old 18 August 2010, 12:41 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cerevantes
Okay here is where it gets strange, Car is an M Reg.... but VOSA's date of first use is 31 Dec 1996 (doesn't add up does it? that makes it a P reg) Plus, after research my engine type was only used 94-95..... What emission standard should it be tested to 95 or 96? Surely the VOSA date of first use is wrong?Here are the vehicle specifics:

Originally Posted by SHEGGS
HI, I'VE GOT A COPY OF ALL IMPREZA MODEL CODES FROM 1992 - 2000.
VIN NUMBER CHASSIS CODES - GC8 = 2.0L IMPREZA SALOON(classic).

MODEL CODES - GC8C48D = WRX 4 DOOR /238 BHP 1992 -1995

ENGINE CODES - EJ -20G = 1994cc DOHC 16V TURBO- found in early model JDM WRXs AND STIs.
First thing i would do is contact DVLA and explain that the V5 is incorrect and that your vehicle and engine codes indicate that it is at the very latest a 1995 import model.

If you can get this sorted with DVLA then you will not need a cat at all for the MOT as your car will be (as it should be) a 'pre '95 import'. Tell the tester this when you go for test and he will do a non cat test.
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repositor...01992-2002.pdfAnswer, yes>yes>no and tyhat will be your limits.

The lambda is located in the drivers side exhaust manifold (header), easily found by laying under the front of the drivers side of the car and looking up. The one you require is Bosch LS02 Just remove the OE one and cut it off then rejoin the new one with the kit provided. The sensor in the downpipe is the 'cat on fire' and is not required. (coz you have no cat!)

Have you got the co2 and hc reading from the fail sheet??

Hope this helps

Last edited by Glowplug; 18 August 2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 18 August 2010, 04:40 PM
Hawkwind
Scooby Regular

Recently had my 94 model import mot`d, Mot tester couldnt find the exact model in the book, so tested it to whatever normal cars are meant to be of that age. Just passed. De-cat fitted to
Old 18 August 2010, 06:16 PM
greendragonkungfu
Scooby Regular

First thing i would do is contact DVLA and explain that the V5 is incorrect and that your vehicle and engine codes indicate that it is at the very latest a 1995 import model.

If you can get this sorted with DVLA then you will not need a cat at all for the MOT as your car will be (as it should be) a 'pre '95 import'. Tell the tester this when you go for test and he will do a non cat test.http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repositor...2002.pdfAnswer, yes>yes>no and tyhat will be your limits.

im keen to know more about this. i have a wrx v limited jdm. its date of first reg is 28/2/96 but after a chat with subaru technical in birmingham i was told it was manufactured in 95 which makes sense as its a 95 limited edition and the front seats have '1995 manufacturers champions' emblem stiched into em.
my v5 says 'decl/d manuf 1996', can/should i get mine looked at.
Old 18 August 2010, 07:01 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by greendragonkungfu

If you can get this sorted with DVLA then you will not need a cat at all for the MOT as your car will be (as it should be) a 'pre '95 import'. Tell the tester this when you go for test and he will do a non cat test.http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repositor...2002.pdfAnswer, yes>yes>no and tyhat will be your limits.

im keen to know more about this. i have a wrx v limited jdm. its date of first reg is 28/2/96 but after a chat with subaru technical in birmingham i was told it was manufactured in 95 which makes sense as its a 95 limited edition and the front seats have '1995 manufacturers champions' emblem stiched into em.
my v5 says 'decl/d manuf 1996', can/should i get mine looked at.
Would depend on you model and engine codes, if they check out it would be worth a go
Old 18 August 2010, 07:24 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately the C model identifier was used for two years (1995 & 1996). If its a pre-August 1995 car it takes a non-cat test, but if later then itll take a generic cat test.

The registration details are incorrect though, as the registered number should be age related. Sorting that f*ck-up out wont actually help you with your MOT problem though, unless you have a copy of the certificate of de-registration.....
Old 19 August 2010, 05:21 PM
greendragonkungfu
Scooby Regular

iv rang the dvla and told them my 95 wrx v limited is down as a 96 on my v5 and theyv told me if i get a letter off subaru stating it was manufactured in 95 itl be re-registered as so. maybe the catless days are comin!! fingers crossed.

i have a gc8c48d with an ej20gdw5he block

Last edited by greendragonkungfu; 19 August 2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 19 August 2010, 06:03 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Worth a go i suppose

Bit more info for ya WhichIsWhich
Old 19 August 2010, 06:11 PM
greendragonkungfu
Scooby Regular

il av a go alright, lol.
as i have seen b4 my model is done as 09/94 - 08/95. dont think il be buying the sport cat jus yet n the ole 'n' reg may well be goin.

iv rang subaru and they can only confirm that the car was made in 95 sometime, they cant give me a month. anyone know who can ?

Last edited by greendragonkungfu; 20 August 2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02 September 2010, 02:08 PM
wrxalan
Scooby Newbie

hi guys need help. need a MOT on my scooby got no cat's on it does any one no a garage that will pass it. i live in orpington kent need to get done this weekend did not relize it was dew any replys would b greatfull thankyou. )))