Cambelt service

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2010, 07:53 AM
EdwardH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cambelt service

I have a uk 55 plate wrx wagon, which has done 25k miles

Looking at the service book, the next service due ( 5 years / 50k miles) shows a cambelt change.

Do I really need to do this given my low mileage?

Thanks

Ed
Old 25 June 2010, 08:00 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well you could risk not doing it until 50k, but by that time the rubber would have perished and your engine would have had a catastrophic issue with its valves, so the answer is it says 50k/5 years for a reason, whichever one is first.

Tony
Old 25 June 2010, 08:37 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends upon your risk assessment.

In the USA the very same engines, with the very same belts, have to last (by law!) 100,000 miles without issue!

I take the view, therefore, that a belt snap is highly unlikely - and we in the UK are shafted on Servicing because Subaru wishes its Dealers to get some nice Servicing money.

It's very simple to remove the side cover and inspect the belt .... it will be fine for a long, long time.

Also, as another added confidence point .... I have been on SN for over 10 years now, I cannot remember seeing a 'Broken Belt' issue arising.

So, really, it depends whether you want to run it to 50,000 miles regardless of age - or whether you would worry .... in which case get it done (it only costs £150 anyway to get someone to change it) - just don't get ripped off on the old "Idlers and Tensioner need replacing too" con.

Sorted
Old 25 June 2010, 09:01 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pete, I saw a car in at the garage with a snapped belt, dont know the mileage but the car wasnt that old.

Tony
Old 25 June 2010, 04:03 PM
tim's wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EdwardH
I have a uk 55 plate wrx wagon, which has done 25k miles

Looking at the service book, the next service due ( 5 years / 50k miles) shows a cambelt change.

Do I really need to do this given my low mileage?

Thanks

Ed
I'd change it when it reaches 7 years. I have a Jan 2005 2 litre WRX wagon from Malta with 43,000 miles. The Malta service manual says to change it at 7 years or 66,000 miles whichever comes first and this is set by the manufacturers Fuji Heavy Industries.

I checked with Subaru Europe and this is what they said:-

The Malta maintenance schedule (7 years or 66,000 miles) is recommended by the manufacturer (FHI) for the European specification of the 2005 WRX.

However, different distributors might judge it appropriate to adapt the maintenance schedule to their market and according to the local environment, specific car usage and other similar parameters.
Where required, distributors may decide to shorten the maintenance schedule.

The maintenance schedule set by FHI is based on ‘normal’ driving; if driven severely, durability of parts can be affected.
Our records show that WRX are driven severely in the UK.

Basically, the Malta maintenance schedule can be applied to your car.
But please note the durability of the timing belt depends on the usage condition and we recommend you an early check and exchange.

Thank you

Best regards from Subaru Europe,
The Service Team
Old 26 June 2010, 09:21 PM
EdwardH
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tim's wrx
I'd change it when it reaches 7 years. I have a Jan 2005 2 litre WRX wagon from Malta with 43,000 miles. The Malta service manual says to change it at 7 years or 66,000 miles whichever comes first and this is set by the manufacturers Fuji Heavy Industries.

I checked with Subaru Europe and this is what they said:-

The Malta maintenance schedule (7 years or 66,000 miles) is recommended by the manufacturer (FHI) for the European specification of the 2005 WRX.

However, different distributors might judge it appropriate to adapt the maintenance schedule to their market and according to the local environment, specific car usage and other similar parameters.
Where required, distributors may decide to shorten the maintenance schedule.

The maintenance schedule set by FHI is based on ‘normal’ driving; if driven severely, durability of parts can be affected.
Our records show that WRX are driven severely in the UK.

Basically, the Malta maintenance schedule can be applied to your car.
But please note the durability of the timing belt depends on the usage condition and we recommend you an early check and exchange.

Thank you

Best regards from Subaru Europe,
The Service Team
thanks for that

how come it will last 16k more in Malta