Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scooby noob here - engine mileage a problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2010, 02:40 PM
muttleyturbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scooby noob here - engine mileage a problem?

Last edited by muttleyturbo; 07 August 2013 at 01:33 AM.
Old 06 June 2010, 02:54 PM
madmerlin
Scooby Regular

TBH m8 it dont work like that, as with any engine, its how its treated during its life.... I know of people who have had scoobies with 120 / 130k on the clock, that were still running as sweet as a nut have aslo known a few cars with sub 80k that are total dogs.
In answer to your question, if the car is treated right, warmed up properly etc and always had regular oil / filter change + servicing then they should last for many years...
I would check carefully all documents / receipts for servicing record, and grill the owner as to how he treats it, If all boxes look to be ticked then seriously consider it, and dont be put off by high millage.
Old 06 June 2010, 03:20 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Mileage is not always an accurate indiactor of how long they will last. Some scoobs will go for 200k without any serious engine work.

at 90k or so look towards clutch and drivetrain & suspension as well, look for a thick wad of receipts for work carried out and see what has been done, you might pick up a 100k miles car with a decent recon engine on sub10k miles on it.

Steer away from cars with a lot of owners and also cars who's owners have had the car a few months and decided to sell unless you really believe their motivation to sell and the car comes with tonnes of history and the owner seems real honest. Avoid cars with cheapo tyres, etc. if the rubber has been skimpt on then likely the service work too.

finally avoid cars that have been tracked, this really does put a strain on just about everything. Look for signs of damage and abuse and a lack of love and care.

I would rather have a 100k miler with a huge file of receipts and proof of regular oil changes with an enthusiastic almost OCD owner than a 60k car without - dependant on condition and the vibes from the owners, then again i am an old ****** and been around the block a few times

Last edited by The Zohan; 06 June 2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06 June 2010, 03:42 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

No problem

Try the For Sale section on here and the likes of Pistonheads and the SIDC For Sale section if you haven't already. searching for the right car may well take some time and plenty of viewings/miles.

Good luck
Old 06 June 2010, 03:46 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

fancy a wagon? this looks right - https://www.scoobynet.com/private-fo...hpi-clear.html
Old 06 June 2010, 07:56 PM
kevpott
Scooby Regular

i bought my bug eye with 90k on the clock all ive had to do is replace the clucth and it passed the m o t with no advisories . so milage isnt a big thing really
Old 06 June 2010, 08:39 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Higher/Average Mileage is fine ... an average of 10,000 miles per year is a nice indication that it has been used.

If you can secure a One Owner example then you are onto a winner IMO, add to the mix a full history, every invoice, every MOT and sound pedigree then you cannot lose.

I would ignore Imports, they have no guaranteed history ... ignore everything which has been messed about with too!

The last of the Genuine UK Classics are so cheap now (about £3000 for a cracking example) that there is no need to buy anything less than right.