Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WHY WONT MY GEARBOX COME OFF !!!

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2010, 05:46 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHY WONT MY GEARBOX COME OFF !!!

THIS IS ANOYING ME LIKE MAD, ITS NOT SEIZED ON THE DOWELS,,,, ITS OFF THEM BUT SOMETHING WONT LET IT COME OFF THE STUDS

sorry caps

right everything is undone, someone has mentioned aboiut a 10mm allen key and screw,,,cant see that so thats the only part i aint done yet, could that be a reason it wont come off

PLEASE help me, its been a **** easy job sofar, no issues, no seized bolts and even the dowels aint seized on,,,, but the box dont wanna leave the engine for some reason !

ps: is a V3 classic STI if that helps

pps: anyone in north london or local and bored at the weekend fancy popping along to help me get it in the car,,,,, mucho appriciated pmsl
Old 01 May 2010, 06:11 PM
rosssti
Scooby Regular

hi pal, have you un-done the pivet arm from the release bearing??
10mm allan key to undo the cap, then a 10mm bolt from your cambelt cover will screw in and pull the pivet arm bar out????

gear box will fall off, you will need a new release bearing now tho, if you was not already replacing that, as you would of bent it tyring to get it off,,

let me know how you get on,,

sorry about my spelling,,, not a strong point..

ross
Old 01 May 2010, 06:27 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

i got a new box, clutch and diff going in, temped to swop the engine at the same time as its anoying me !!!

i dont have a 10mm allen key grrrrr
Old 01 May 2010, 06:35 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

You won't get it off without removing the pivot arm/fork thingy. There is a cover behind the starter that has to be removed [easy enough] then a bolt [from the cam belt casing is fine] screwed in the end and yank out the arm. Done!
Do a search.
Old 01 May 2010, 07:23 PM
chasey
Scooby Regular

get a flash light and a long flat screw driver its possible to prise the thrust bearing away from the clutch pressure plate. try to wedge the screw drive between the bearing and the brass like retaining ring and turn.... I have done this before and it works a treat when the hex key has been rounded off..
Old 02 May 2010, 02:19 PM
L55 REP
Scooby Regular

as said above, i cracked a casing on my fooked g/box as a mate said it was p1ss easy and only 4 bolts (didnt tell me the above) luckily it was a fooked g/box and i wasnt just changing the clutch or my mate would have been supporting two black eyes
i would rather use a chisel and hit out the hex nut casing than do what chasey has said but then each to there own

good luck fella.

if done about 8 g/box changes on the classics since and they are p1ss easy when you got the hang of it

just remember to put the clutch arm pin etc all back together before bolting it all back up together
Old 02 May 2010, 03:49 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

well i done the 10mm hex idea,,, thats a beast to slide out !!!!

now im stuck with the gearbox on the subframe and the damper bracket on the bulkhead, when i try to lower off the subframe the whole lot falls back,,,, and by christ thats a heavy gearbox, ive done all i can on my own,,, im a strong person and lifting the box aint a issue,,, just i cant direct it to when i wanna go and the stupid thing wants to keep turning too,,,, so time to phone a friend or 2
Old 02 May 2010, 04:39 PM
rosssti
Scooby Regular

you have to jack the front of the engine up a tad , put the jack on the exhaust manifold to move it up a couple of inches, this will clear the bulk head so the bell housing will not catch,,, easy....

will just fall out...
Old 02 May 2010, 04:41 PM
rosssti
Scooby Regular

where you from pal???
Old 02 May 2010, 05:52 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

im in central london,,,, that seems a MEGA idea, tempted to give that a try tonight but i need the jack for the gearbox pmsl
Old 02 May 2010, 06:49 PM
rosssti
Scooby Regular

use a chock of some sort for the gearbox, if your doing this on the floor you will find something easly that hight,

you need the jack to jack the front up or you will not get it out,,

make sure you have undone the gearbox cradel before you jack the front up tho, its easy pal, the hard bit is putting it back in if your working on the floor,,, easy on a ramp.

if you where closer id come give you a hand, but your miles away..

let me know how it goes,, or if you get stuck

ross...
Old 02 May 2010, 06:53 PM
rosssti
Scooby Regular

pm'd you pal,,,

ross...
Old 02 May 2010, 06:55 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

oh sorry mate. the box is already out, new clutch fitted too, im struggling to get it back in on my own hence me waiting for mates, cheers for the offer though, i got a few mates popping round at 9am just to get it in then im gonna wack it all up and make a start on the diff, the stupid thing i done was cover the floor in cardboard so i dont hurt my back and also soaks up the oil rather than slipping about on concrete covered with gearbox oil,,,,,, which is super slippy stuff and so getting the box out from under the car was a bitch and gettting the new one in was even worse,,,, on my own too pmsl

as said getting it back on the engine is being a bar steward due to subframe ane the damper mount at the top wedging against it,,,, oh and blood gravity aint helping me much either

im gonna take some more pics soo
Old 02 May 2010, 06:55 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

oh sorry mate. the box is already out, new clutch fitted too, im struggling to get it back in on my own hence me waiting for mates, cheers for the offer though, i got a few mates popping round at 9am just to get it in then im gonna wack it all up and make a start on the diff, the stupid thing i done was cover the floor in cardboard so i dont hurt my back and also soaks up the oil rather than slipping about on concrete covered with gearbox oil,,,,,, which is super slippy stuff and so getting the box out from under the car was a bitch and gettting the new one in was even worse,,,, on my own too pmsl

as said getting it back on the engine is being a bar steward due to subframe ane the damper mount at the top wedging against it,,,, oh and blood gravity aint helping me much either

im gonna take some more pics soo
Old 02 May 2010, 07:02 PM
rosssti
Scooby Regular

ive done thies on my own before pall

jack the front of the engine up as to take the box out, so it will clear the bulkhead,

rest the bellhousing on the subframe,
from the top, loop rope round the bellhousing, tie it off for now,,

jack the rear of the box up roughly the right height,

pull the bellhousing up with the rope,,,, easy,,,,

if your not doing it alone, you may still need the rope

ross...
Old 02 May 2010, 07:44 PM
Ginge !
Scooby Regular

cheer, im all clean now so cant be arsed to give it a go till the morning, ill get some rope though but as you can see,,,,, there aint much room in my garage now the car is in the air pmsl

this is how i have left it for tonight

Old 03 May 2010, 05:06 PM
rosssti
Scooby Regular

let me know how it goes pal,,