ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

uk 2000 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2010, 09:52 PM
loud scooby
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default uk 2000 turbo

i have just bought a w plate 2000 turbo with turbo back 3'' and dump valve and hks pannel filter anything you guys would recomend i can do (mod wise) also do they suffer with ANY comon problems
Old 27 April 2010, 10:03 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

MAF sensors are the weak point. Don't change the induction as there is no point and you will shorten the life of your MAF sensor and a dodgt MAF sensor can even kill your engine.

Get rid of the dump valve if it is a VTA as the factory fit is better for the engine and the aftermarket will be doing nothing to help your performance, quite the opposite.

If you want to take the car further I would look to upgrade the suspension and brakes first, then look at a re-map. You can go for a Walbro fuel pump, bigger injectors, bigger turbo and intercooler again with a further re-map - 320bhp is probably a safe limit for the 5 speed gearbox.
Old 27 April 2010, 10:08 PM
loud scooby
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by f1_fan
MAF sensors are the weak point. Don't change the induction as there is no point and you will shorten the life of your MAF sensor and a dodgt MAF sensor can even kill your engine.

Get rid of the dump valve if it is a VTA as the factory fit is better for the engine and the aftermarket will be doing nothing to help your performance, quite the opposite.

If you want to take the car further I would look to upgrade the suspension and brakes first, then look at a re-map. You can go for a Walbro fuel pump, bigger injectors, bigger turbo and intercooler again with a further re-map - 320bhp is probably a safe limit for the 5 speed gearbox.
i asume by vta u mean vent to atmousphere (spelling) what can i buy then if ui want the noise ?
Old 27 April 2010, 10:29 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by loud scooby
i asume by vta u mean vent to atmousphere (spelling) what can i buy then if ui want the noise ?
That's kind of my point mate, aside from the noise there is no advantage to having one and in fact it damages the performance over the standard set up.

I thought you meant your car already had one fitted. If so I would get rid of it, if not don't do it.

Spend your money on stuff that makes real gains in handling, stopping and finally going. You won't regret it.
Old 27 April 2010, 10:42 PM
loud scooby
Scooby Newbie

ok my mate has a '96' type ra that he's breaking what bits would u reccomend i gett off it suspention brakes ? ect
Old 27 April 2010, 10:43 PM
loud scooby
Scooby Newbie

ok my mate has a '96' type ra that he's breaking would fitting the suspention (or any other bits off that be good) if not what else fits
Old 27 April 2010, 10:48 PM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Don't bother with the ra suspension, get a whiteline rear anti roll bar, droplinks & ALK - get the geometry done & make sure the Front calipers are in good shape, ie the pistons are not siezed. After that, have it remapped.
Old 27 April 2010, 10:51 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

ok my mate has a '96' type ra that he's breaking would fitting the suspention (or any other bits off that be good) if not what else fits
If it's all free or very cheap then possibly the suspension [if it's Red struts] and the brakes are no better unless they are aftermarket one's.
Old 28 April 2010, 08:28 AM
loud scooby
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by DJ_Jon
Don't bother with the ra suspension, get a whiteline rear anti roll bar, droplinks & ALK - get the geometry done & make sure the Front calipers are in good shape, ie the pistons are not siezed. After that, have it remapped.
ALK ??
Old 28 April 2010, 10:40 AM
DJ_Jon
911 C4 pilot

Anti lift kit
Old 28 April 2010, 11:29 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by bob r
If it's all free or very cheap then possibly the suspension [if it's Red struts] and the brakes are no better unless they are aftermarket one's.

Providing its actually any good (which I doubt) shocks on a 14 year old car will be worn past well their prime unless its ultra low miles.
Old 28 April 2010, 12:01 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

What's wrong with the RA?
May be a better option in the long run. Stronger internals and box as well as being more powerful and quicker without mods and as a better spec too.
Old 28 April 2010, 12:52 PM
wanted
Scooby Regular

If you like the noise and the car is running fine then leave it on mate. It's you that's driving it.
There is alot of good advice on here, but left up to some people we would all be driving identical cars with identical mods I've had 4 scoobs all with VTA dump valves, with no issues.
Old 28 April 2010, 12:58 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well apart from being annoying vta's can screw your maf up and confuse your ecu, go fit a lambda link and you will see what I mean

Tony
Old 28 April 2010, 01:24 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wanted
If you like the noise and the car is running fine then leave it on mate. It's you that's driving it.
There is alot of good advice on here, but left up to some people we would all be driving identical cars with identical mods I've had 4 scoobs all with VTA dump valves, with no issues.
It's your funeral!!
Old 28 April 2010, 01:48 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

Oh the good old doom and gloom about VTA's strikes again!

I'm the same as Wanted..i've used them in all my scoobs and never had any problems with them.I personally think the sound the scooby's make/can make with mods is one of the main reasons i've owned so many.

I'd like to see just how many scooby engines have been killed by just by having a properley fitted VTA and no other mods to the car.I bet ity's not many if any and that could just be becuase of underlying problems like the MAF going and blaming the VTA valve.
Old 28 April 2010, 02:03 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AlanPPP
Oh the good old doom and gloom about VTA's strikes again!

I'm the same as Wanted..i've used them in all my scoobs and never had any problems with them.I personally think the sound the scooby's make/can make with mods is one of the main reasons i've owned so many.

I'd like to see just how many scooby engines have been killed by just by having a properley fitted VTA and no other mods to the car.I bet ity's not many if any and that could just be becuase of underlying problems like the MAF going and blaming the VTA valve.
Have you got a flamer kit too?
Old 28 April 2010, 05:15 PM
wanted
Scooby Regular

It's your funeral!!
Like i said ALL mine have had VTA's and Pat at Scoobyclinic has mapped them all with NO problems.

4 scoobs over a period of 7 years, ALL with VTA's and no problems. I think i would have had a problem soley caused by a VTA by now
Old 28 April 2010, 05:21 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Like i said ALL mine have had VTA's and Pat at Scoobyclinic has mapped them all with NO problems.

4 scoobs over a period of 7 years, ALL with VTA's and no problems. I think i would have had a problem soley caused by a VTA by now
Yep, you know best mate. Pat yourself on the back and give yourself a medal
Old 28 April 2010, 05:24 PM
wanted
Scooby Regular

That's right well done. Now jog on you muppet i don't suffer fools
Old 28 April 2010, 05:26 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

May I suggest you don't spend much time alone then.
Old 28 April 2010, 06:19 PM
Festa
Scooby Regular

So how can a dump valve damage your car??? And hinder performance???

I thought the purpose of a dump valve was to "dump" pressure from the turbo into the atmosphere to lower turbo lag?
Old 28 April 2010, 06:28 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Festa
So how can a dump valve damage your car??? And hinder performance???

I thought the purpose of a dump valve was to "dump" pressure from the turbo into the atmosphere to lower turbo lag?
OK it is my understanding that the ECU expects to have back pressure from the re-circulating valve and is set up for this. When a VTA valve is fitted it removes that. The MAF misreads and causes the ECU to overfuel which can cause misfires and check engine light warnings and I believe premature engine wear.
Old 28 April 2010, 06:32 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Good grief, where do folk come from that can't carry on an argument without resorting to abuse. Grow up!

FYI, there are a few people on here who give out advice, learned the hard way, from EXPERIENCE. They are mostly experts in what they do.
AFAICT, you have a long way to go............
Old 28 April 2010, 06:59 PM
wanted
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Good grief, where do folk come from that can't carry on an argument without resorting to abuse. Grow up!

FYI, there are a few people on here who give out advice, learned the hard way, from EXPERIENCE. They are mostly experts in what they do.
AFAICT, you have a long way to go............
alcazar if you read the thread properly you'd see i did give a perfectly good reply to which i recieved a patronizing answer, to which i couldn't be arsed with. So why the reply?? Nobodys saying there isn't some good advise on here BUT too many people on here jump on the bandwagon with regards to scare mongering and i gave a reply of my EXPERIENCE, which happens to be the opposite. AFAICT you don't read threads properly before posting
Old 28 April 2010, 07:09 PM
firebug
Scooby Regular

my uk98t has had a dump valve on for 6years now. no probs at all. i put the standard set up back on once and it felt slower.
Old 28 April 2010, 07:14 PM
Festa
Scooby Regular

OK it is my understanding that the ECU expects to have back pressure from the re-circulating valve and is set up for this. When a VTA valve is fitted it removes that. The MAF misreads and causes the ECU to overfuel which can cause misfires and check engine light warnings and I believe premature engine wear.
Ahhh right.

Im new to the Scooby ownership and im wishing i never bothered buying the car in the first place due to absolutely everything being a chore!

I wouldnt be surprised if i read a thread soon that starts "ive tinted my windows and now i need a re-map"

Ive got an R33 Skyline running over 400bhp and ive never had any problems with that like i have with my Impreza!

I had a FMIC, induction kit and BOV fitted and gained quite a bit of BHP and didnt need a re-map.

I know they are 2 different cars, but they are both turbo charged and would have thought that breathing mods such as a FMIC and induction kit would help instead of hindering to the extent of putting the engine at risk?
Old 28 April 2010, 07:26 PM
wanted
Scooby Regular

As you can see Festa some people have run them for years with no prob, while others will tell you the opposite. A Quick run on the rollers for £35 ish will tell you of any impending doom from a dump valve ,or let you know all is well and put your mind at rest.

The FMIC and the induction kit are both MAF issues and can be solved with a Mafless ecu upgrade such as Simtek, Motec etc
Old 28 April 2010, 07:28 PM
Festa
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that pal.
Old 28 April 2010, 07:29 PM
wanted
Scooby Regular

Quick Reply: uk 2000 turbo