Sponsored by:

hello, im new, help me!

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2010, 09:07 PM
Leonboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hello, im new, help me!

Right, im new to all this jap stuff and im an old skool vauxhall boy at the moment.
Now i am looking at scoobies at the moment and theres a few i seen that i like, i am after an early one to about a t reg, im not sure what mk thay are, but i kno i want the 22b shape or p1 shape.

i would like to know the inns and outs so i know what im looking for when i do go and buy one. I have heard they do suffer with a few little problems and that some things can be expensive, im pretty handy with the tools and think i may be able to do some of the servicing and repairs myself if needed. I would just like to talk to the people in the know and i have had different opinions and views for others. Thanks Leon
Old 20 April 2010, 09:12 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

p1 is only available from W reg to 51 plate, 22b from S reg-T reg only

oh and welcome to our site

Last edited by bighead; 20 April 2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 20 April 2010, 09:20 PM
Leonboy
Scooby Regular

so what are the early ones? i like the t reg shape ones. What do i look for when buying one? What problems do they suffer?
Old 20 April 2010, 09:33 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

you should be looking at what version of the impreza more than the reg/year of the car

version 1, 2 ,3 4 are all pre T reg 5,6 7,8 9 are all post T reg
Old 20 April 2010, 09:39 PM
Leonboy
Scooby Regular

oh i see, so instead of being like mk1 and mk2 there known as version etc.So what prices am i looking at for a resonable version 5 or 6? and obviously being 24 i dont want to be raped on insurance so what type would be best? it would be my 1st jap car and impreza, ive wanted one for ages and i am willing to let me gte go to fund one.
Old 21 April 2010, 10:28 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

So I assume you know about the UK/Jap import thing then?

The UK cars were down on power and toys, and thus easier to insure. The Jap cars had more power and more toys, were harder to insure and fetch a premium at sale for rarity.

If it were me, I'd go V4>V6, ie late 97>00 cars, they are the shape you want, plus they already have the uprated interior, bigger wheels, white faced dials, electronic speedo etc.

BTW: BOTH the cars you mention are actually two door variants, which are MEGA-rare and fetch a high price at sale

But be prepared for your pockets to be constantly empty: fuel and mods really do take you down
Old 23 April 2010, 09:38 PM
Leonboy
Scooby Regular

yes i have heard the fuel consumption is quite high, the mods are expensive then? what about normal servise and repair parts? are there many things that go wrong?
i have a vauxhall nova gte at the moment thats mint as u like, i am willing to sell up for an impreza, i think i will have to get a 4 door one as ive seent he prices of the 2 doors, but i like both.
Old 23 April 2010, 09:46 PM
73henny
Scooby Regular

They're all pretty reliable as long as they've been looked after / serviced and haven't been wrapped around a lamp post.
I'd look on here in the ads or pistonheads - see what you're budget will buy, then get an insurance quote before doing anymore. Under 25 + Scooby = expensive.
But when you get one, you'll love it. Will make your vx look like a piece of ****
Old 23 April 2010, 09:50 PM
Leonboy
Scooby Regular

oh no no no, will not make my gte look **** trust me, i will have to post a pic up, some scoobys cant keep up with me through the twistys its only on the flat and high speeds i get done. yes i am nearly 25 and have 5 years or so no claims, i did get an insurance quote and was just over £900, i think a uk spec one thats had a couple sensible mods would do nicely, aslong as its got the typical scooby exhaust noise and goes reasonably well i'd be happy, can always upgrade to a higher spec one in future.
i just need to find more info out on them as i dont know what im looking for or what im letting myself in for.
Old 23 April 2010, 09:59 PM
Leonboy
Scooby Regular

my current weekend car, valued about 3-3.5k
Old 23 April 2010, 10:06 PM
73henny
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leonboy
oh no no no, will not make my gte look **** trust me, i will have to post a pic up, some scoobys cant keep up with me through the twistys its only on the flat and high speeds i get done. yes i am nearly 25 and have 5 years or so no claims, i did get an insurance quote and was just over £900, i think a uk spec one thats had a couple sensible mods would do nicely, aslong as its got the typical scooby exhaust noise and goes reasonably well i'd be happy, can always upgrade to a higher spec one in future.
i just need to find more info out on them as i dont know what im looking for or what im letting myself in for.
Your car looks in good nick. When you drive a scooby you'll understand what I mean.
Seriously, find out what you can afford, then find out on here what to look for. Each version may have slightly different things to look at.
Old 23 April 2010, 10:13 PM
Leonboy
Scooby Regular

firstly i was seeing if anyone would do a px, but i think there totally 2 different cars and different people interested.
i still dont know what sortof problems there are, what service costs etc aswell. i am good with engines etc, i rebuilt my gte engine with full race cams no problem but then again its and easy 4 cylinder overhead cam 8v