Non-Scooby Technical Question

Search this Thread

Old 08 April 2010, 08:17 AM
jsh1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non-Scooby Technical Question

Hi Guys,

My friend has an 02 Skoda Octavia vRS which has developed a gear selection problem and I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what might be likely cause.

He has posted on the Skoda forums, but they are a snooty lot and they spend more time moaning about how you post and it not being in the right place than they do in answering questions, not like the really helpful guys on here

Anyway, when the engine is running and stationary, it is extremely difficult to select first or reverse, and it sometimes gets stuck in reverse as well.

When moving and driving normally, there are no problems at all and all is well.

My suspicion is the clutch not releasing properly, but the bite point is not high and there is no sign of slipping either.

Everyone he speaks to gives him a different answer, so any logical feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Jason
Old 08 April 2010, 09:45 AM
D1CCY
Scooby Regular

I had something very similar happen to my 02 Focus runabout. Springs in centre of clutch had broken up and were intermittently causing clutch drag. Clutch also rattled as it got worse. Cost me a new clutch.

One other possibility is the question - does this car have a dual mass flywheel (DMF, normally found on modern diesels to smooth things out but also fitted by VW group to some performance petrol models). If this is disintegrating then it will cause similar symptoms. Either way clutch will have to come out as this is a drag problem.

Know what you mean about snotty forums.

Cheers, Diccy.
Old 08 April 2010, 10:42 AM
Danny1984
Scooby Regular

Check and re-adjust the linkages first and check for wear in the bushes. I've Known people to re-adjust the linkages and the problem has been solved. Saves spending money to start with aswell