Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Might sell my subaru its too problem mattic.

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2010, 05:46 PM
nigel101
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Might sell my subaru its too problem mattic.

I always wanted a Subaru, and I got one 2 years ago. The performace is amazing, and everything about it is awesome, handling, power, grip, its practical theres room in the boot.

But theres two big draw backs the petrol costs are high, which is too be expected. But the biggest one I didnt see was the maintance. Ive gotta say Subaru is proably one of the most unreliable ive driven, or maybe its the age.

Im not joking every week there is something wrong with my car. Its a non modded wrx. In the last 2 years this is a list of some of the problems.
Clutch replaced, gearbox oil, front and rear brake pads, battery twice, AC belt, Drive Belt, Wing Mirror, rear diff oil, engine oil twice, oil filter, air filter, MAF sensor, spark plugs, ariel motor, thats is only in about one year.

Im not too fussed about the petrol. But this much maintance is a joke. Ive had other cars the same year and the only things ive had to buy is batts for them. My car still whines when im at high speeds.

Im guessing everyone has these problems, thats why there isnt many subarus on the road.
Old 24 March 2010, 05:50 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

what MY was/is your car
Old 24 March 2010, 05:56 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nigel101
Clutch replaced, gearbox oil, front and rear brake pads, battery twice, AC belt, Drive Belt, Wing Mirror, rear diff oil, engine oil twice, oil filter, air filter, MAF sensor, spark plugs, ariel motor, thats is only in about one year.
If its a old Impreza i dont think that is too bad. Ive had a few Impreza's & the only cost ive come across is parts for modding and servicing.
Old 24 March 2010, 05:59 PM
stuart148
Scooby Regular

doesnt sound problamatic to me, sounds like your just servicing it , like you should

problamatic is blown engines , gear boxes , diffs etc etc

stu
Old 24 March 2010, 06:02 PM
zippy!
Scooby Regular

i agree sounds like routine maintenance to me,i bought mine with a blown engine so had that to fork out for straight away!
Old 24 March 2010, 06:11 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Ive had other cars the same year and the only things ive had to buy is batts for them. My car still whines when im at high speeds.
I would put money on every other car you have had has not had no where near as much hammering as your Subaru from previous owners TBH
Old 24 March 2010, 06:40 PM
bish667
Scooby Regular

Im guessing everyone has these problems, thats why there isnt many subarus on the road.
Plenty of subaru's on the road around here
Old 24 March 2010, 06:42 PM
adam knight
Scooby Regular

mate to be fair thats good ownership thats general wear, you forget these things are hi performance motor, its a bit different to a 1.2 corsa sxi . iv owned lots of differnt types of performance cars and i can honestly say that all 3 scoobys iv owned have bin very good if not perfect but yeah the fuel thing is a rite pain in the ****
Old 24 March 2010, 06:50 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

as above, sounds like general sensible maintenance on wear and tear parts.
Old 24 March 2010, 08:54 PM
topshot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what a rediculous post, 90% of that is servicing items. How is replacing engine oil a problem? all cars need servicing and high performance cars need it more regularly. Try owning an evo for running costs!!
Old 24 March 2010, 08:56 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

most of the items in your list are service items to be expetcted on any car!
Old 24 March 2010, 09:08 PM
howes124
Scooby Regular

Default subarus

i have had my 1993 wrx for 3yrs, no great problems, same clutch etc, just spent all my money on mods, oil change etc is part off owening any car? most of the problems i have had are to do with modding it, but i now run a healthy 295bhp, but i dont thrash it about.
Old 24 March 2010, 09:18 PM
wilde 1
Scooby Regular

If you ask me I think my subaru, (after my modding bill) is still cheaper to run than a German car. Go and check out the labour costs down at youre local Merc, Audi or BMW dealers then see what ya thinks expensive.

"Whats that sir, you didnt need new wipers, well Im afraid they have been fitted now. . . .oh. . . .and we took the liberty of charging you for a new spare tyre. . . . the other one had DUST on it . . .would you belive"

Last edited by wilde 1; 24 March 2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old 24 March 2010, 09:25 PM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

is this guy having a laugh or what?engine oil,brake pads,spark plugs, i mean come on surely you must know that unless you buy a car that is powered buy a twisted rubber band and you need to stick your foot through a hole in the floor to stop it,then all cars need to be surviced.
Old 24 March 2010, 10:12 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

As Bigarf has pointed out - Most of that is servicing costs!

I have found that they are expensive to keep on the road. Allways niggles occuring with my classics. A right pain sometimes and sometimes a money pit.

However they are an enthusiasts car. A car to tinker with.
1. My car is not a daily driver - I wouldnt have a modded classic as a daily driver.
2. Nothing on four wheels puts a smile on my face like the noise of that flat four and the kick back you get. And for that I am prepared for the expense and the hassle.

If you are not. Move along. Buy something quick, probably german and a fair bit duller that you can drive every day Or buy a shed to tool about in.
Old 24 March 2010, 10:27 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I may have to get rid of mine as I have actually had to purchase new tyres and the old ones had only covered 40,000 miles, I also had to buy a new exhaust as the old dropped apart and it was only 6 years old. I think it must be a subaru problem!
Old 24 March 2010, 11:15 PM
stuart148
Scooby Regular

iv done 50k in my wr1 in 2years ,,,wish i had all the cash now tho lol

stu
Old 24 March 2010, 11:32 PM
nigel101
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigarf
is this guy having a laugh or what?engine oil,brake pads,spark plugs, i mean come on surely you must know that unless you buy a car that is powered buy a twisted rubber band and you need to stick your foot through a hole in the floor to stop it,then all cars need to be surviced.
No m8 im not mad, ive owed nissans and celicas, the only thing i changed was batt, oil and tires and never had a problem. Also m8 owns a merc he aint changed anything. Im not assed about oil or filters its cheap. its like theres something new each week that theres a problem and the big stuff costs MAF, clutch etc.
Old 24 March 2010, 11:47 PM
Mr Wagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wilde 1
If you ask me I think my subaru, (after my modding bill) is still cheaper to run than a German car. Go and check out the labour costs down at youre local Merc, Audi or BMW dealers then see what ya thinks expensive.

"Whats that sir, you didnt need new wipers, well Im afraid they have been fitted now. . . .oh. . . .and we took the liberty of charging you for a new spare tyre. . . . the other one had DUST on it . . .would you belive"
You would be suprised, when I had my MB the cost of a service was only a 100 quid more than a Subaru dealer. Differance is the cost of things outside of a service and thats how they can make money for parts and labour. I had a E class and a heating element that was part of the warm air system that comes on before the diesel engine warms up failed. The actual replacment part cost 48 pounds but it takes several hours for the MB engineer to take the dash and car apart to fit. Luckily I bought a support package from MB that covered warranty and service for £52 a month. In the year that I had it (as MB stopped offering the product) I had over £1500 worth of service work, replacement brakes pads & discs etc done so it saved me £1K, which was nice.
Touch would so far in my first year of owning a 07 WRX it has cost me a 3 year service from Cheam Motors for £300+, a new tire and some bits from Halfrauds to wash it. Overall very happy!!
Old 25 March 2010, 01:03 AM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
what MY was/is your car
btt?
Old 25 March 2010, 08:34 AM
bigarf
Scooby Regular

No m8 im not mad, ive owed nissans and celicas, the only thing i changed was batt, oil and tires and never had a problem. Also m8 owns a merc he aint changed anything. Im not assed about oil or filters its cheap. its like theres something new each week that theres a problem and the big stuff costs MAF, clutch etc.
i have got the feeling its not just me that thinks your being just a little bit pikkie here.if you have had the problems i have had over the past 2 years with mine then i could understand it,but even then its not down to it being a subaru,its down to companys saying they can build engines when the only real expeariance they have is with lego.if you tell us the year and milage of your car then i think we might get a better idea of why the clutch has worn out as i'm getting the impression its not an 09 model.
Old 25 March 2010, 08:54 AM
scooby1doo1
Scooby Regular

Had my00 5yrs soon change
engine oil 9 times
diff oil 2 times
brakes front 3 times
back 2 times
refurb calipers 1 time
spark plugs once
cambelt 1 and due 1 soon
bottom end off 03wrx
refurbed gear box
2 clutchers
1 flywheel
5 sets of rubber
7 back boxers (could not find the right noise)
2 centre
1 downpipe
shocks Monday
and that's off the top of my head. That's it it's going flipin crap these cars, cost a bom.
I'm I selling it I'm I ****,

Last edited by scooby1doo1; 27 March 2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old 26 March 2010, 08:44 PM
intergrale4x4
Scooby Regular

You want to try running a Lancia Integrale 16V mate my last one cost me nearly £5000 in parts in two years and I'm a mechanic so the labour was free -ish. Sold it right after I fitted my third crankshaft but it was bl**dy fast
Old 26 March 2010, 08:51 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

my scoob.....touch wood has been very reliable indeed.
Old 27 March 2010, 02:26 PM
zayd
Scooby Regular

I have owned my Scoob, 2003 WRX PPP, a year to this date. Before then I owned 3 BMW 530 Sport saloons' in the space of 4 years. I kid you not I spent at least £1200 a year in maintenance with each one and it was all deemed as normal running costs.

Before going german I used to drive Nissan's and was utterly shocked at how expensive German cars are to run.

In comparison to the BMW's my Subaru is by far the best car I have ever owned when you factor in value for performance. That is the key performance indicator for why I decided to transfer to Subaru.

My brothers' buy and sell a lot of cars each month and they hold the Scoobs in the highest regard when it comes to value for performance. This comes from their experiences with having to rectify some of the cars they purchase.