Sponsored by:

insurance cat 1 alarm

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2010, 05:13 PM
danny c
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default insurance cat 1 alarm

hi, my insurance is up for renewal soon! my car has a sigma m30 cat1 which was factory fitted! my question is how do i prove this to the insurance company? if i put it has cat1 alarm and imob then they will want the certificate to proove,which i dont have!!!

thanks in advance for any help!
Old 28 February 2010, 05:22 PM
kath an pete
Scooby Regular

hi my insurance asked me if it had a cat on i told them it had a cat 1 on even though i have the book to prove it they never asked 4 it
Old 28 February 2010, 05:28 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by danny c
hi, my insurance is up for renewal soon! my car has a sigma m30 cat1 which was factory fitted!
Not quite it doesn't. If you have an offiical UK model, the M30's were not "factory fitted" (i.e. in Japan), they were fitted after the cars arrived in this country.

my question is how do i prove this to the insurance company? if i put it has cat1 alarm and imob then they will want the certificate to proove,which i dont have!!!
As above you may not actually be asked to provide the certificate. If are you can ask a Thatcham (and ideally Sigma) approved fitter to examine the car and issue a duplicate, or, because, as above, International Motors/Subaru UK supervised the fitting of the car's alarm in the first place, it might be worth either contacting them direct or via your local main dealer to see if they can provide a duplicate proof of fitting, if not a full-blown certificate.

Might also be worth a trip over to the SIDC forums and a browse of Sigma Sam's posts - as I daresay someone's asked him this very question before.

Last edited by Splitpin; 28 February 2010 at 05:29 PM.
Old 28 February 2010, 05:33 PM
scatty
Scooby Regular

you can go to a registered alarm place and they will give you one ...for a price.

same happened to me when i first got the car, i sent it off and it got lost. i think it cost me £15 or summat to get a replacement certificate....
Old 28 February 2010, 05:35 PM
kath an pete
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
Not quite it doesn't. If you have an offiical UK model, the M30's were not "factory fitted" (i.e. in Japan), they were fitted after the cars arrived in this country.

As above you may not actually be asked to provide the certificate. If are you can ask a Thatcham (and ideally Sigma) approved fitter to examine the car and issue a duplicate, or, because, as above, International Motors/Subaru UK supervised the fitting of the car's alarm in the first place, it might be worth either contacting them direct or via your local main dealer to see if they can provide a duplicate proof of fitting, if not a full-blown certificate.

Might also be worth a trip over to the SIDC forums and a browse of Sigma Sam's posts - as I daresay someone's asked him this very question before.
sorry was only sayin as mine is a jap inport i didnt have to show mine
Old 28 February 2010, 06:22 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin

i asked the very same question to the very ever sigma sam when i had my sti, when at time of insurance i was asked if it was alarmed i just told them it was cat 1 standard factory fit,

this is what Ian said,

Yes they are Cat 1 approved. As they were standard fitment to your 03 UK Impreza you shouldn’t need a certificate of installation.
The Thatcham evaluation number for a 03 UK Impreza (with M30 fitted) is TC2-1265/1002 – that should suffice for your insurance company and tell them it is a standard fitment.

Best regards,
Ian

i hope this helps.
Old 28 February 2010, 07:06 PM
wrx_jas
Scooby Regular

Just taken out a new policy for my spec C with Sky insurance. They need proof that the cobra alarm has been fitted correctly but I don't have the certificate. On explaining this I was told all I have to do is take it to a garage and get them to write a letter on letter headed paper certifying it's installed correctly and working.

I'll let you know how this works out.

Trending Topics

Old 28 February 2010, 08:47 PM
danny c
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx_jas
Just taken out a new policy for my spec C with Sky insurance. They need proof that the cobra alarm has been fitted correctly but I don't have the certificate. On explaining this I was told all I have to do is take it to a garage and get them to write a letter on letter headed paper certifying it's installed correctly and working.

I'll let you know how this works out.
yea cool, im not sure how much differance it will make to my insurance but think i will get some quotes and see!
if its only going to cost me £15 to get another copy like scatty did then i mite aswell do that!