Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Springs..Tein-Eibach-Prodrive..ADVISE.

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2010, 02:26 PM
MrBos
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Springs..Tein-Eibach-Prodrive..ADVISE.

As above.
55plate wrx, fitted 18x9 Rota Forces.

I know that everyone going to say Prodrive, but I want a lower ride height than the prodive ones, but not if its going to be really harsh. I diont really want to spend the money on coilovers.
Has anyone got any experiences that could help me decide.
Any pics posted a bonus.
Many Thanks
Kev.
Old 27 February 2010, 03:59 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Lower than Prodrive? Hmmm, I would not recommend that as it 'could' well be harsh using just a spring change on OEM shocks. I have spent the last 5 yrs with Eibach springs on OEM shocks. Lowered about the 25mm or thereabouts and that is more than enough. there is a big enough ride change to notice so anything else would be too harsh. Anyway, I am now on Eibach coilovers since Thursday.
I would say go Prodrive 1st, Eibach 2nd, coilovers 3rd, lol.
If you look at my car in my 'garage', there are pictures with the Eibach springs on - this will be any picture that has the old wheels on as the springs were on then.
The pictures containing the new coilovers also contain the new wheels.
Old 27 February 2010, 07:22 PM
MrBos
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your input MaDaSS...did you find with just a spring change that pot holes where a nightmare as I have plenty down here and the OEM suspension is good at coping with them, but I need to go lower as the car looks to high with the new wheels on.
Old 27 February 2010, 07:49 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

They can be when compared to the standard setup yeah. You will have a firmer ride and so the bumps, etc will be transferred into the cabin more.
Old 27 February 2010, 08:47 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

I went down the Eibach route same car....Ride only slightly firmer, no crashing. You will need the geometry sorting once lowered. Have you uprated your ARB and droplinks?
Old 27 February 2010, 09:00 PM
ChibiSF
Scooby Regular

Low springs?

Tanabe DF210 are probably your best bet.
Old 27 February 2010, 09:06 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Don't forget that the Prodrive springs are progressive so they don't feel that harsh, But when pushing the car hard they firm up nicely

Trending Topics

Old 27 February 2010, 09:41 PM
Mifo
Scooby Regular

I had tein s techs on my last scoob I found these quite a harsh ride if you hit a pothole you know about it!!. - So you'd probably best avoid these.
Old 27 February 2010, 09:48 PM
ChibiSF
Scooby Regular

And here's a picture of an STi sitting on DF210s:

Old 27 February 2010, 11:55 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

I had a set of Prodrive lowering springs fitted to a Hawkeye WRX, they dropped the car around 25mm but they gave a better ride qaulity than the standard springs.

Eibach make the springs for Prodrive but to Prodrive's specifications which are different to Eibach's own springs. The Prodrive springs also have more anti-clatter wrapping as well meaning that you do not get any clatter noises as some of the aftermarket springs come with very little wrapping on them.

Just make sure that you get your suspension geometry sorted out as well as this will improve the handling greatly plus it will be out of alignment anyway after having the springs changed.

Plus of course the Prodrive springs are reckoned to be the best available for standard struts (cue differing views).
Old 28 February 2010, 08:01 AM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

As above They feel a better ride because its a progressive spring as I have already mentioned.
Old 28 February 2010, 11:31 AM
bob r
Scooby Regular

MrBos

I can only comment on the Teins from experience.

I have had these on a Bugeye WRX, Blob STi and an RB5. I really rate them due to the fact that they give a noticeable ride height drop and no difference in ride quality to standard -around 30mm which gives the car a more aggressive look. If you like to tear around the track [or roads] then I belive the others may give slightly better handling but do you need to drive like that?
Old 28 February 2010, 12:56 PM
MrBos
Scooby Regular

Thanks everyone for your advise...my heart says go for the teins, but my head says prodrive. I really want it to look aggressive to go with the new rims. Has anyone had any experiences with Apex? I found some on ebay.
Old 28 February 2010, 03:25 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MrBos
Thanks everyone for your advise...my heart says go for the teins, but my head says prodrive. I really want it to look aggressive to go with the new rims. Has anyone had any experiences with Apex? I found some on ebay.
If its a really aggressive look you are after I would not say the Prodrive ones then. They don't lower the car that much,as some other do. But if its your every day road car then there perfect.
Old 28 February 2010, 04:47 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

I had the Eibachs like I said before and I DO think they lower the car enough to make wheels look a lot better. I just feel for his requirements, the Tein's will be no good.
Just IMHO of course