Black diamond brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2010, 10:49 AM
Northy 7
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black diamond brakes?

Now my brakes are shot on my scoob i have booked my car in to subaru 4 u
in newbury for next thursday to have black diamond grooved discs and predator pads fitted all round and was wondering if anyone on here has used them and what do they perform like?Also ive been told to stay away from the drilled and grooved discs and just go for the grooved due to cracking issues etc is there any truth in this?Any pics would be nice if you guys have them fitted.
Old 13 February 2010, 11:11 AM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

Hi Mate - I fitted the drilled/grooved discs/Predator pads to mine a few months back, no issues with cracks etc (so far) - they perform well but have no benchmark, as not used any other makes before, I'm going to get the rears done in the same set up in a couple of months, as far as I can see they are great quality at the price
Old 13 February 2010, 11:40 AM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

I use the predator pads all round but on the standard Brembo discs and there great, I had to put a lot of copper slip on the back tho because they squealed at first but all sorted now. Not sure about the Black Diamond discs as never had them but I don't use the car on the track so have never seen the benefit of drilled or grooved discs especially with the standard Brembo's being very good.
Old 13 February 2010, 12:56 PM
arumdevil
Scooby Regular

I have BD discs and predator pads on my legacy and they perform very well (although it really could do with 4 pots). Very happy with mine,,,
Old 13 February 2010, 02:00 PM
ginger321
Scooby Regular

ive used them on several cars an they work well enough for my driving style an the price is good too.

only issue is they seem to make alot more brake dust than others.
just wash the wheels more often!!
Old 13 February 2010, 02:44 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ginger321
ive used them on several cars an they work well enough for my driving style an the price is good too.

only issue is they seem to make alot more brake dust than others.
just wash the wheels more often!!

Really! you surprise me I think they produce less dust than the brembo's (pads)
Old 13 February 2010, 03:02 PM
steviecrump
Scooby Regular

I have Black Diamonds on the rear with Mintex pads they work very well...
Old 13 February 2010, 03:04 PM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by greatgonzo
Really! you surprise me I think they produce less dust than the brembo's (pads)

Yeah I've not realy got a prob with the dust issues, not bad to my thinking and I recently was lucky enough to change the wheels too and they keep quite tidy -
Old 13 February 2010, 03:06 PM
scooby1doo1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the predator pads all round but on the standard Brembo discs and there great, I had to put a lot of copper slip on the back tho because they squealed at first but all sorted now. Not sure about the Black Diamond discs as never had them but I don't use the car on the track so have never seen the benefit of drilled or grooved discs especially with the standard Brembo's being very good.
I just fitted refurb calipers and new pads on tarox disk,(6 months old) befor i fitted the refurbs they squealed like a pig all the time unless you was braking.
Now they are still squealing, if i used some sort of grease on the back of the pads will this sort the squealing out.

Cheers
Old 13 February 2010, 03:46 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

On the issue of drilled and grooved vs grooved, it depends on the cars use and pads used.

We supply both types.

AZTEC PERFORMANCE ONLINE STORE - WHOLESALE PRICES DIRECT TO THE PUBLIC - Brakes :: Subaru Impreza :: Uprated Grooved Discs & Pads
Old 13 February 2010, 04:03 PM
Rally fan 555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB'5
On the issue of drilled and grooved vs grooved, it depends on the cars use and pads used.

We supply both types.

AZTEC PERFORMANCE ONLINE STORE - WHOLESALE PRICES DIRECT TO THE PUBLIC - Brakes :: Subaru Impreza :: Uprated Grooved Discs & Pads

daft me but didn't realise you were Aztec, been looking at the rays alloy nuts in red - how much can you do me a set for, PM if you like
Old 13 February 2010, 04:07 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Order online and I will refund the delivery for you

AZTEC PERFORMANCE ONLINE STORE - WHOLESALE PRICES DIRECT TO THE PUBLIC - Rays Lightweight Wheel (Lock) Nuts :: RAYS Lightweight Racing Wheel Nuts inc Locking Nut. M12xP1.25. (Set of 20)
Old 13 February 2010, 07:54 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby1doo1
I just fitted refurb calipers and new pads on tarox disk,(6 months old) befor i fitted the refurbs they squealed like a pig all the time unless you was braking.
Now they are still squealing, if i used some sort of grease on the back of the pads will this sort the squealing out.

Cheers
As long as the pad is not a designed for track use only! (really hard compound) you shouldn't be getting any squeal, Have your pads got anti squeal shims fitted?? if not that's the first thing you need, then cover the back of the pads with copper grease but be careful not to get it on the surface of the pad. This should stop the squealing noises
Old 13 February 2010, 09:03 PM
scooby1doo1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as the pad is not a designed for track use only! (really hard compound) you shouldn't be getting any squeal, Have your pads got anti squeal shims fitted?? if not that's the first thing you need, then cover the back of the pads with copper grease but be careful not to get it on the surface of the pad. This should stop the squealing noises
No not designed for track, the shims are fitted and i have put some copper grease after i posted this but, still squealing not as bad after the copper grease.
I will take it off again tom along with the disk, and copper grease every thing. God dam things doin mi head in.
Old 14 February 2010, 06:56 PM
Northy 7
Scooby Regular

thanks for the replys guys.
Old 14 February 2010, 07:57 PM
arumdevil
Scooby Regular

try putting copper grease on both sides of the shims
Old 14 February 2010, 08:10 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Northy 7
in newbury for next thursday to have black diamond grooved discs and predator pads fitted all round and was wondering if anyone on here has used them and what do they perform like?Also ive been told to stay away from the drilled and grooved discs and just go for the grooved due to cracking issues etc is there any truth in this?Any pics would be nice if you guys have them fitted.
Not a Scoob admittedly, but I've got the Predator pads on the front of my 205 GTi. When I bought it it had a drilled/grooved 283mm big brake conversions with Greenstuff pads.

Swapped for standard 247mm discs (plain not drilled/grooved) and Predator pads. No bloody difference They are very good IMHO and good value compared to other brands.

Also, the drilled thing works both ways. If the discs are formed with drill holes in the manufacturing stage it doesn't affect the grain structure of the iron/steel/other composites they're made from. But if they're formed and then drilled afterwards, this is where they can become weak as it disrupts the grain structure. Just something I picked up on at work.

HTH
Old 16 January 2016, 04:45 PM
ewennicholls
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Northy 7

Hi I know I'm very late on this, how did they go? Looking at a set now for my WRX