How to remove stuck Subaru Locking Wheel Nuts

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2010, 11:47 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How to remove stuck Subaru Locking Wheel Nuts

Hi,

I know this question's been asked before, but I couldn't find a reliable link for what to do about this.
Essentially, one of the locking wheel nuts on my 01 newage has been done up too tight in the past and I now can't get it off.

It's the type with the 3 small holes in a triangular shape in the nut - the key has three small pins to insert into the nut and turn it.
Unfortunately the holes have become distorted and one of them is so distorted the key won't stay on.
My local dealer has informed me that because the nuts have a spinning collar around the outside it will need to be drilled off, but I've seen several posts regarding banging an old socket over the nuts, or buying one of these locking wheel nut remover kits - the question is, can they remove this type of locking wheel nut?

The dealer has estimated £300+VAT to do this work which I can't believe is actually that much to do (but they get a 3rd party in to do it).

Any advice appreciated as always guys - many thanks.
Old 31 January 2010, 11:51 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

AFAIK, the collar does make it impossible to remove them with the socket over the top.

If I were you, I'd approach a decent tyre place, (so not Kwik-Fit, then), and ask them. I'm sure they will do it and for a LOT less than £300+VAT which is SIX hours' work
Old 01 February 2010, 09:44 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What's interesting is a few people seem to think you can just break the collar off with a screwdriver! Is this forum full of thieves? lol.
Going to have a look at this later - after all I'd rather do that than enlist some so called "professional" who will probably just do the same anyway! Yes I agree the price is exorbitant!