Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions for the hatch owners...

Search this Thread

Old 18 January 2010, 08:22 PM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Questions for the hatch owners...

Have read some of the horror stories about the various problems with the new hatches and engine failures and this has made me think twice about buying one.I'm still interested,but will have to do a bit of research on the alternatives...Would be looking at an ex demo/second hand motor
Anyway,what are your thoughts about the new shape.Am particularly interested in the sti vs 330s question.A few owners have intimated that they wished that shey had bought the 330s-is it really worth the premium and what are your main disappointments with the sti that makes you wish you had the 330s.
Am after some real thoughts re what they are like on a day to day basis to live with,cost of servicing and maintainence.But mainly,as a long term "keeper"-is it worth it when compared against other marques-evo x,audi S3,RS Focus etc etc
Oh,and does anyone have a photo of a midnight blue pearl 330s???
Cheers
Old 18 January 2010, 09:04 PM
jho!
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my STI now for nearly 2 years.

I had an 54 plate wrx with PPP Afterburner exhaust and STI spoiler before.

The hatch is a much better car to drive and live with.

Petrol consumption is much better in the hatch (av. 25mpg hatch to 20mpg wrx)
Handling is much better (once you get used to the steering feel and learn to trust the car)
It is much quicker than old car.

A hatchback is so practical (how many times have saloon owners wished their boot was bigger).

The downsides are it is far too quiet (for a scooby) with standard exhaust, but an afterburner and center section does the trick.

The steering is too light with not enough feel but can be sorted, all impreza's required work to get the best from the chassis.

As far as the engine problems, as far as I am aware it was the way the fuel was cut at the rev limit that caused the most problems. This has now been solved with a revised engine map. However, they must be run on 99 ron petrol.

I believe it is the best 'out of the box' impreza to date, yes it has faults but with a few choice mods can be seriously good car.
Old 19 January 2010, 01:41 AM
orthochris
Scooby Regular

I bought my STI type UK just before the official details of the 330s were released. I should have paid more attention.
I wanted the same power so went for the PPP, and got some GT1 18" prodrive wheels. I don't much like the standard STI or 330s wheels,
The prodrive springs have helped remove some of the roll in corners.
The remaining issue. The seats and I am looking to get some 330s seats.
I would go for a demo 330s if it was me and change the wheels.

I had a golf R32 MkV before the STI. The STI is in a different league with regards to performance. I tried an S3 and an RS4. The only alternative I would have considered is the RS4 and I am still toying with the possibility of changing to an RS4.
Old 19 January 2010, 07:13 AM
VinceW
Scooby Regular

Got my sti as an ex demo with 20 miles on the clock!, the dealer had it allocated as one of their demos and sold it on to me straight away, i show as the 2nd owner on the log book. cost me £23250 instead of £27k, metallic paint, front fogs and floor mats as extras. 330s was too expensive for me and at £30k is it really worth the extra? leahter option is £1600, ppp £1600, do you need the sat nav/dvd? ok the wheels are better looking than the standard 17's in my opinion but its a lot more money to go up 1 inch and a bit more rubber on the road. the performance diffference isnt a lot if you check out the figures, ok lots more low down torque....just change down to compensate! 330's is thirstier and costs more to insure....swings and roundabouts...im happy with the sti...quick enough that you will still lose your licence with ease and i can live with the running costs/depreciation. I've only done 3k miles in as many months with no problems as yet except stuf the dealer should have sorted out on the pdi but didn't! I've changed the wheels for a set of 17 compomotives as i didnt like the standard ones, didn't go to 18s as i didnt want the expense of new tyres as well. fitted an upper and lower zunsport grill set to tidy up the front, also revolution 24 7 cat back to try and get the subaru flat 4 rumble but it's still very quiet..to quiet possibly. the engine makes a sort of gear wine noise and i was trying to cover that up.......im very happy with the car. I had a focus st 225 previously. swings and roundabouts between that and the scooby...focus is better looking in my opinion...scooby is quicker, less twitchy on the handling, no wheel spin!! focus sounded better, lovely engine noise and wonderfully torquey engine..pulled from 1300 revs...the scooby doesn't... don't know if this was any help?

Vince

Last edited by VinceW; 19 January 2010 at 07:16 AM.
Old 19 January 2010, 08:57 AM
silver demon
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi
Had my Euro STI since April 09. All the toys the 330s has, apart from the PPP. Did have to get an alarm and tracker fitted though. Brand new with 5 miles on the clock, £23K and interest free

I've done 5000 miles with no problems apart the the lorry hitting me At the 1000 mile service I had the ECU update done by Subaru under warranty. So touch wood the engine won't let go.

The extra's the Euro STI and the 330s over the UK STI are

Sat/Nav
18" alloys
Recaro front seats
keyless entry
push button start
rear window tints
PPP (330s)

My Car Subaru WRX STI

cheers

Lee

Last edited by silver demon; 19 January 2010 at 08:58 AM. Reason: add link
Old 19 January 2010, 09:53 AM
StanS
Scooby Regular

Had 98 scoob from new til 06, Now got 08 STi Hatch from new (Euro Import 330S spec) from Iain Litchfield.
If you buy a Scoob, you know it has to be modified to get the best out of it, as well as to make it your own. Yes the Hatch is not perfect out of the box - suspension and power steering valve need tweeks. Engine air intake and exhaust (and map) need tweeking to make it a "proper" scooby.
I have never had a car out of the box (in 43 years driving) that was "perfect" for me.

Scoobies are great if you are prepared for the requirements of ownership - more money has to be spent !!

Lovin mine

Last edited by StanS; 19 January 2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old 19 January 2010, 10:21 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jho!
I've had my STI now for nearly 2 years.

I had an 54 plate wrx with PPP Afterburner exhaust and STI spoiler before

It is much quicker than old car.
No way
Old 19 January 2010, 11:23 AM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Had mine since July and it really is a great car, as said above the basic STI is just a starting point and money needs to be spent to improve it in certain areas, mind you I would not buy a car that was 100% perfect as it takes the fun out of it for me, If I had a car that cost 100k I'm sure I'd still find stuff for it, always have, always will!

STI v 330s, If we are being honest and £'s were not an issue I'm sure all would have the 330s over a stock STI anyday, however money is always a factor and you have to decide if the extra cost of the 330 over the STI is worth it for YOU, do you want the extra goodies, or would you rather upgrade in the future.

For me the 330s was out of my price range and the only 2 things it had that I would want are the seats and PPP, seats I'll live without as stock are fine for me, PPP, well maybe I'll get it mapped someday and actually do better than PPP numbers, I went from a WRX anyway so the STI standard powerwise is fine for me at the moment. Certainly do not feel disappointed with the fact that I have an STI and not the 330.

As an everyday car its perfect, only other car I looked at was the FRS which was more expensive and I'd probably want to wrap that in cotton wool where my STI goes anywhere, tip, camping etc, also the FRS is only a 4 seater which would have been a pain in teh Ar$e!

Cost, well they are what you'd expect with a 300bhp car:
Servicing I think is actually quite cheap
23 MPG at the moment but all my journeys are stop/start which kills the economy
Have to use Super Unleaded, only 2 stations near me that have 98 or above and its a little expensive but a small price to pay
£420 road tax
Insurance, £500 or so for me with car in a garage.
1 main dealer service a year + 1 oil/filter change myself (£50)

ECU, reflashed under warranty so hopefully engine is fine, but saying that I know of much more expensive cars with common engine issues that dealers cannot seem to get right.

Personally I don't drive that fast as its a family car and my daugher is always with us so my money so far has gone on cosmetic mods (fogs, splitter, grilles etc) others will say that suspension is a must, again all down to personal taste.

Hope that helps a little but take one for a test drive and I'm sure you will not be disappointed, look at a few though as some I looked at completley std looked pretty plain, throw a set of 18's on or some front fogs and a splitter and it makes a heck of a difference.

Arron
Old 19 January 2010, 09:28 PM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=silver demon;9166611]Hi
Had my Euro STI since April 09. All the toys the 330s has, apart from the PPP. Did have to get an alarm and tracker fitted though. Brand new with 5 miles on the clock, £23K and interest free

I've done 5000 miles with no problems apart the the lorry hitting me At the 1000 mile service I had the ECU update done by Subaru under warranty. So touch wood the engine won't let go.

Sat/Nav
18" alloys
Recaro front seats
keyless entry
push button start
rear window tints
PPP (330s)

Thanks guys,thats a great help.Have not thought about the euro STI,but will seriously look at one of these,because it seems to be exactly(especially the interest free part! ) what i'm looking for-love that colour too!
Realistically,i would be stretching myself if i went for a 330 and this euro spec fits the bill.

Will look at the Litchfield site as their reputation is second to none and i am only down the road-Dont think they do 0% though
Lee,who did you buy yours through-might as well do some sums!.Also,are Subaru happy do do the warranty upgrades as its a parallel import.Is your warranty time reduced at all and are there any other pitfalls with a none uk car-understand about the security issues.
Lastly,are there any other 'real world' issues with the imports.
Cheers-H
Old 19 January 2010, 10:08 PM
Abx
Scooby Regular

warranty starts from when they hit the uk shores so if not sold for say 6 months the warranty will be reduced by this period. Subaru uk are happy with warranty work as long as registered with international motors.
Old 19 January 2010, 11:01 PM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Arronb
warranty starts from when they hit the uk shores so if not sold for say 6 months the warranty will be reduced by this period. Subaru uk are happy with warranty work as long as registered with international motors.
Thanks for the info-appreciated
Old 20 January 2010, 08:35 AM
silver demon
Scooby Regular

Got mine from Motor Depot. Interest free was for a limited period though.

Like Arron said check the warranty with a Euro and get a tracker/alarm fitted.
Old 20 January 2010, 12:25 PM
carlpcross
Scooby Regular

i have had my 330s for a couple of months now.
when i was looking the extras on the 330s were well worth the extra money.
Old 20 January 2010, 03:31 PM
paulbu
Scooby Regular

The choice of which hatch to buy depends upon the ultimate aim of the purchaser. If the plan is to mod the car up to 320bhp plus then the STi is the choice. However, the basic STi hatch does come with bland 17" alloys, no front splitter, no fog lights and unattractive exhaust tail pipes. The WRXS (which can be had for less than £20k) comes with 18" anthracite alloys, front splitter and other STi bodywork add-ons, fogs, identical torque output as the Sti but avaialble at 3000 rpm (4000 on Sti), and the WRXS weighs 110 Kg less than the STi. By my calculations, fit the Prodrive back box with polished quad tail pipes from the 330s to the WRXS, give it a remap to around 270 bhp and 315 lb ft of torque and for a shade over £20k you have a car that will give the basic £26k STi a close run for its money. That is of course if you can live without the attractive flared wheel arches.
Old 20 January 2010, 06:51 PM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulbu
The choice of which hatch to buy depends upon the ultimate aim of the purchaser. If the plan is to mod the car up to 320bhp plus then the STi is the choice. However, the basic STi hatch does come with bland 17" alloys, no front splitter, no fog lights and unattractive exhaust tail pipes. The WRXS (which can be had for less than £20k) comes with 18" anthracite alloys, front splitter and other STi bodywork add-ons, fogs, identical torque output as the Sti but avaialble at 3000 rpm (4000 on Sti), and the WRXS weighs 110 Kg less than the STi. By my calculations, fit the Prodrive back box with polished quad tail pipes from the 330s to the WRXS, give it a remap to around 270 bhp and 315 lb ft of torque and for a shade over £20k you have a car that will give the basic £26k STi a close run for its money. That is of course if you can live without the attractive flared wheel arches.
Have looked closely at the WRXS and its a very attractive proposition.However, i want to move up to the sti for its long term tuning potential.I see the wrxs as the upgrade to the GB270-fantastic to look at,but at the end of the day-its not an sti.
My wagon has 310 bhp and it has taken a lot of work and money to get there.I want a better starting point for future mods.The sti will give me that...
Old 20 January 2010, 06:56 PM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by silver demon
Got mine from Motor Depot. Interest free was for a limited period though.

Like Arron said check the warranty with a Euro and get a tracker/alarm fitted.
Cheers.Hope you dont mind,but checked some of your old posts and saw that you bought it from Motor depot.Sent an e-mail last night and i spoke to them a few hours ago-they are putting me on a list-i dont think that they actively import these cars-seems to be a case of whatever comes in...
Out of curiosity,why this company-recommendation? and are you happy with the service?
Old 20 January 2010, 07:14 PM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

The WRX-S does have the awfull 2pot cast std brakes on it, even on a std WRX driven sportingly the brakes are not up to much.

With all the STI parts on it you thought the brakes would come in for sum attention.
Old 20 January 2010, 10:06 PM
FauxSTi
Scooby Regular

Regarding the engine issues.. I've just bought an ex lease STi, I've spoken to the dealers who serviced it, got the details from the history print out, and it's had the ECU reflash, it has had no major work done, just general service stuff. It's an 08, on 76k miles, and the engine is sweet as.
Old 20 January 2010, 10:07 PM
FauxSTi
Scooby Regular

Oh and the last service was 2 months ago, checked the dip stick and it's right on the mark, so not using any oil.
Old 21 January 2010, 10:41 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really really like them..

I very nearly bought one but cannot part with either of my other two subarus and the wife would kick me out if I bought a third.. lol

Simon

Last edited by Jolly Green Monster; 21 January 2010 at 11:13 AM.
Old 21 January 2010, 07:15 PM
mickp
Scooby Regular

Had my STI Hatch 2 years in March.

Very happy with the car. Mine is also Euro premium spec so same as the 330S but without the PPP. I have added PPP to mine as well as a set of Prodrive springs and both additions make quiet a difference.

Better than previous scoobs when it comes to fuel and overall a much better ride. Not a huge fan of the brakes on my car, as with most Brembo's they do not inspire confidence when cold (IMO) but when warmed up they perform well.

No regrets at all with buying the hatch. It's practical, fast and a hell of a lot of performance for the money.

Mick
Old 21 January 2010, 09:04 PM
silver demon
Scooby Regular

Yes would have to agree with Mick about the brakes
Old 21 January 2010, 09:15 PM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Am almost set on a hatch now,so thanks everyone for their experiences...
So,apart from Motor depot,what companies have you all used / what deals are out there in respect of the euro spec sti's-recommendations please,so that i can start looking!
Old 21 January 2010, 09:19 PM
mickp
Scooby Regular

I used All Brands New which i suspect may be part of the Motor Depot group. The price was good but the organisation and communications were awful.

I will never return

Car is great though
Old 21 January 2010, 10:43 PM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mickp
I used All Brands New which i suspect may be part of the Motor Depot group. The price was good but the organisation and communications were awful.

I will never return

Car is great though
Cheers,nothing in stock atm,but will keep a look out
Old 21 January 2010, 10:55 PM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Think you will struggle to find a new Euro STI for the forseabale future, the only reason they were brought over was due to the mark up the dealers could make with the Euro exchange rate, now that is screwed its cheaper to buy a UK car.
Old 22 January 2010, 09:25 AM
L3YMS
Scooby Regular

What ever happed to 'wagon' !! lol 'hatch' sounds a bit chav (aka hot hatch) to me! where as 'wagon' sounds a bit , well, .. like you are going to attach it to a horse! But still it was unique to subaru afaik and I grew to like calling mine that, shame if they have become just another hatch.
Old 22 January 2010, 10:06 AM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Arronb
Think you will struggle to find a new Euro STI for the forseabale future, the only reason they were brought over was due to the mark up the dealers could make with the Euro exchange rate, now that is screwed its cheaper to buy a UK car.
does seem to be that way and that probably explains why.I want one in the dark grey as well,so that minimises my options somewhat!There's plenty of time though and I'm determined not to buy blind. Will keep searching...
Old 16 February 2010, 09:15 PM
billyray911
Scooby Regular

After a brief delay,i'm resurrecting this post...Went to see a dark grey uk sti hatch today.Is an 08,has the PPP,looks in great nick and looks quite mean.
Going back for test drive tommorrow.It has 19k on the clock and is up for £19,999 from a subaru dealers.
What are your thoughts re the price?Am aware of the mapping/dead engine issues and am aware that the 330s with the prodrive remaps are also succeptible to the same problem.So,what should i be looking out for-a printout saying that the work has been done and if so,who is doing the remap on the PPP's-local dealerships,i presume?
Paart from the usual,Any little things that you have noticed with your car,that i should be looking for?
Lastly,realistically,do you think that there will be much movement on the price(am going to try my hardest) for a second hander.
Have my modified 02 wagon in px,so fingers crossed...
As usual,
Old 04 March 2010, 11:36 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by silver demon
Hi

Sat/Nav
18" alloys
Recaro front seats
keyless entry
push button start
rear window tints
PPP (330s)

My Car Subaru WRX STI

cheers

Lee

Where did you get it from at that price?

PM me if you want.

Cheers,
Shaun

Quick Reply: Questions for the hatch owners...