Sponsored by:

sti buying guide/advice

Search this Thread

Old 22 December 2009, 09:09 PM
scooby830
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sti buying guide/advice

hello there , right after a bit of advice really on which model best and what to look out for when buying after classic shape not fond of blob/hawk and really only want to spend round 5000-5500 as its only toy really as only get used at weekends, models i've been looking at are sti v3/4/5 any thing to look out for on these ? also seen type r apart from being 3 door and being able to adjust power from front to rear , mileage wise what are these good for if theyve been looked after any advice welcome as had stiv3 couple of yrs ago and didnt have it long enough to get to know what to look for,
in your opinions are sti's best to go for as been looking round can get blob eye wrx 51/02 for same money didnt think these were as good though engine wise,suspension etc , please excuse my ignorance i've been into cozzys for so long which are easy to kno what to look for
Old 22 December 2009, 10:44 PM
winker
Scooby Regular

Well if its a toy and you have up to £5500 i would buy either a sti type r or a sti type ra both have dccd depends if you want 4 door or 2 and if you like to change gear alot the ra is manic.I wouldnt bother to much about the year the important thing is condition and service history.I have a sti ra and also had type r they run well on v-power but that was a standard car no mods.
Old 23 December 2009, 07:34 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The DCCD doesnt exactly adjust the power front to rear, it adjusts the differential, ie gives it more slip, so you can go from a 70r 30 f slip to a 50/50 locked diff, these cars also dont come with ABS, so take note of that
Engine wise, classics have the weakest engines, crap rods that are the same across the turbo range so if your after any sort of big power its not cheap (plus the gearboxes, brakes, clutch etc aint exactly brill for big power either).
Lots of downsides which were corrected with the new age cars, though it doesnt make them a bad car, just bad if you want big power.
MY99/00 cars can have their ecu's remapped (these STI's have a 100 ron fuel map for japan, these are version 5/6 cars) version 4 STI's would need an aftermarket ecu.
Please note that versions only apply to the classic shape STI's

Tony

Last edited by TonyBurns; 23 December 2009 at 07:37 AM.
Old 23 December 2009, 07:26 PM
scooby830
Scooby Regular

my mates got a type r revs it **** off round 100 tough are these and the ra the same short ratio box?
Old 23 December 2009, 07:56 PM
scooby830
Scooby Regular

what are there major differences between wrx and sti on the blobeyes then? is the engine in these a lot stronger than classics? what power can wrx run compared to sti reliably