Sponsored by:

Wiper Blades

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2009, 09:11 AM
boulevard
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wiper Blades

My passenger side blade has split (Hawkeye STI), any recomendations for a replacement?

Cheers

Steve
Old 15 December 2009, 09:26 AM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know on the PIAA website they sell Silicon wiper blades that are apparently very good.
There is another company online that sells them (a reseller) and they come with a prep kit to clean and coat your screen with before fitting. They aren't affected by extreme heat of cold and come with a lifetime guarantee. they are not very expensive either so i'm going to give those a try in ther new year.

I have to say i'm fed up of paying top dollar for Bosch wipers that really don't stay the course. They don't seem to last very long and i always make sure i give the screen a really good burnish and clean before fitting. The quality just seems to be getting worse as time goes by and they're not brilliant from new.
Old 15 December 2009, 09:50 AM
boulevard
Scooby Regular

You mean these I guess Buy PIAA Silicone wiper blade & carrier black (single) by PRI Racing Ltd. buy online

Dont seem that unreasonably priced if they last.
Old 15 December 2009, 10:08 AM
Rich_wrex
Scooby Regular

Cant rate the piaa ones highly enough mate definately worth the dosh and if you combine them with rainex you hardly have to use the wipers at all.
Old 15 December 2009, 10:17 AM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

The problem with rain-x is it buggers up normal wipers. I've used it a few times before and it just doesn't go well with normal wipers even though i think rain-x is very good stuff. I use it on my partners jag and it works a treat on the side and back window. It's great in the mornings because she doesn't have a rear wiper so the rain just beads off the back window when you get going!!

I'm looking forward to trying out these silicone wipers + prep fluids.
Old 15 December 2009, 10:32 AM
WhiteWagonMan
Scooby Regular

Location: Trying to pull a 10 second 1/4 mile running a standard 2.0ltr engine...

Bosch Areotwins are the best i`ve had,used them on my last three cars.

Trending Topics

Old 15 December 2009, 10:34 AM
sprigeteer
Scooby Regular

PIAA all day IMHO. I've had aero's (lifted off the screen at high speed), Halfords own, Bosch and all others in between. The PIAA's knock spots of them all. No judder, good clearance. They really do leave a film of silicone on the screen too, which really helps in this shtty drizzle, as it doesn't stick to the screen, which means less screen wash too. I never skimp on wipers - like tyres and brakes, they have to be up to the job.
Old 15 December 2009, 01:25 PM
handsome rob
Scooby Regular

PIAA
Old 15 December 2009, 01:47 PM
johnpye
Scooby Regular

right then, i like the look of the PIAA wipers so which size do i have to order for my 2004 impreza sti, i could go measure but just know someone here will know, and besides its raining out!!!
Old 15 December 2009, 02:05 PM
greg320
Scooby Regular

21 inch drivers, 18 inch passenger
Old 15 December 2009, 04:03 PM
boulevard
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johnpye
right then, i like the look of the PIAA wipers so which size do i have to order for my 2004 impreza sti, i could go measure but just know someone here will know, and besides its raining out!!!
I was bout to ask the same, left mine at home due to rain so am in the trusty Polo till the wipers get sorted.
Old 15 December 2009, 04:39 PM
alpinesparkster
Scooby Regular

I bought some silicone wipers from this site a few months back:

Tripledge Premium Silicone Windscreen Wiper Blades

They are not the flat blade wipers but must admit I am very impressed by the quality and they do exactly what they say - apply a thin coat of silicone to the windscreen and when its raining quite hard the water beads and runs off the screen the same as if rain-x has been applied.

They say there is a lifetime guarantee, but for the price £15 inc P&P it wouldn't bother me if I had to replace them at some point.
Old 16 December 2009, 09:48 AM
boulevard
Scooby Regular

I have just looked on the TripleEdge website and they say an 2000+ Impreza needs 22" and 17" when I thought they used 21" and 18"?

But they are alot cheaper than the PIAA ones, about £15 delivered.
Old 16 December 2009, 10:28 AM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

Those Tripledge ones do look exceptionally great value for the money. In fact standard Bosch wipers and the PIAA silicone ones cost a lot more.

I'm always a bit sceptical though about any of these kinds of miracle products coming over from the USA as they are well known to seriously over hype their stuff and make almost miraculous claims about how good they are.

Lifetime guatantee as well....do they expect people not to keep their cars for a lifetime and therefore their guarantee rarely becomes used. Is that what they bank on??

Don't mean to be so sceptical..........Oh yes i do, it's my nature!!

In any case for the money i doubt you could go far wrong with these Tripledge wipers and if they turn out to be a crock of sh1te then it wasn't much money lost. In fact every time i've bought Bosch wipers and then had to change them just a few months later i've always felt a bit ripped off and let down by their lack of durability.

What i would like to know is....PIAA recommend the prep and screen coating fluids whereas Tripledge simply recommend to clean your screen properly using their method but don't mention any kind of screen coatings.

If the silicone wipers coat the screen anyway to produce the beading effect why would you need a Rain-X type coating as well. Sounds like PIAA just want more dosh from the customer rather than their coating being of real benefits.

You don't need both do you??
Old 16 December 2009, 10:31 AM
handsome rob
Scooby Regular

hi, mines 22d /18 p , piaa on a new age if that helps ,the piaa's are exspensive but they are amazing ,especialy when you clean the screen first with there own stuff, scooby world ltd seem best for price and you can double check size too.
Old 16 December 2009, 10:41 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

It is 21 and 18 for us
I had one set of PIAA, still good but wanted to try some of the aero type ones. Fitted them and they were sh1te so i then had to buy some more PIAA and they are still on the car now. I am a lazy car washer so the screen is not cleaned with glass cleaner, and even after the local car wash lads have done, the water still beads of the front screen and at cruising speeds the water beads off so efficiently i do not need wipers on! They really are very very good. I love em.
Old 16 December 2009, 10:43 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

I never use Rain-X or any other liquid on my front screen and the water always beads off well enough that i can drive without wipers on if i am at cruising speeds. Not so good at 30 or 40 like but on long runs on motorways, etc they are awesome.
Leave the Rain-X alone it aint needed imho.
Old 16 December 2009, 10:48 AM
handsome rob
Scooby Regular

hi, the extra stuff i used was there piaa vision screen cleaner £5.99 for a bottle that will last years imo, it cleans all the invisible grease off the screen, and really makes a difference ,athough i only got it the other day and have had the blades a couple of years, imo the extra cost of PIAA is easily offset by the extra safty aspect . after shelling out i can say im a complete convert and will fit piaa's to everything i own for ever more, Rob.
(and no i dont work for them )
Old 16 December 2009, 11:53 AM
boulevard
Scooby Regular

Think I will order some PIAA's.. Scoobyworld are after £20 postage so either they are really heavy or their website has gone abit mental.. will have to put in a call later.
Old 16 December 2009, 01:23 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Bought these via a Group Buy on here & they were excellent. from me.

TX.

Originally Posted by scoobiewrx555
I know on the PIAA website they sell Silicon wiper blades that are apparently very good.
There is another company online that sells them (a reseller) and they come with a prep kit to clean and coat your screen with before fitting. They aren't affected by extreme heat of cold and come with a lifetime guarantee. they are not very expensive either so i'm going to give those a try in ther new year.
Old 16 December 2009, 02:25 PM
[-(o)-]
Scooby Regular

PIAA also make scraping ice off your screen much easier!
Old 16 December 2009, 02:49 PM
Scooby Arthur
Scooby Regular

Another vote for Bosch Aerotwins, superb wipers, use them on all my cars now.
Old 16 December 2009, 02:52 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

PIAA everytime
Old 16 December 2009, 03:04 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Anyone recommend a trusted UK stockist?
Old 16 December 2009, 04:21 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MaDaSS
It is 21 and 18 for us
I had one set of PIAA, still good but wanted to try some of the aero type ones. Fitted them and they were sh1te so i then had to buy some more PIAA and they are still on the car now. I am a lazy car washer so the screen is not cleaned with glass cleaner, and even after the local car wash lads have done, the water still beads of the front screen and at cruising speeds the water beads off so efficiently i do not need wipers on! They really are very very good. I love em.
As above, went from PIAA's (which lasted about 4 years) to Aero's ...lifted on the down sweep at anything over 80

Wish i'd just kept the PIAA's & replaced the blades
Old 16 December 2009, 05:19 PM
Scooby Dan
Scooby Regular

I had PIAA's on my last two Subaru's and thought they were great. My current Subaru is fitted with the Bosch Aero wipers and they are nowhere near as good, will definately replace them with PIAA's.
Old 16 December 2009, 05:41 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

Had Piaa wiper's on both of my old Impreza's but i got Sparco aero's on my current Impreza and there poo,will be replacing them soon with Piaa.
Old 16 December 2009, 07:19 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ive just bought these

Tesco Flat Wiper Blade 24" - Tesco.Direct

they are £6 in store

not bad,bit weird via the instructions so just fitted them as i saw fit really and seem to do the job,although it does leave a small smear on the downstroke,darlin,which is annoying

i used 24" drivers side,18" passenger

Quick Reply: Wiper Blades