Short shift for 03 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2009, 04:20 PM
H2o-uk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short shift for 03 WRX

Looking at this on ebay :

Subaru Impreza 97-06 Short Shifter Shift Quick Turbo on eBay (end time 05-Nov-09 10:00:50 GMT)

Is it worth bothering with on my 03 WRX. Ive driven an RB320 which comes with a short shift as standard, would this create the same feel ?

Ive viewed other threads on here, and appears mostly people with Classics that attempt to fit them, and they are generally more problematic than they are worth in the end.

Opinions anyone ?

Thanks as always
Old 26 October 2009, 06:19 PM
bigvern
Scooby Regular

I have one similar for my bugeye, nice mod for the money easy to fit too.
Old 26 October 2009, 06:54 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds daft, but just changing the leather skinny gear **** for the the round momo/subaru aluminium style gear **** really improves the gear change.
Old 26 October 2009, 06:58 PM
H2o-uk
Scooby Regular

I'd heard something similar to that before, so I have just bought a ProDrive one, hopefully that'll turn up in a couple of days and I can fit it and give it a go, before buying one of these quick shift replacement gear sticks. Just wondered how much they shorten the throw by, is it a lot ?
Old 26 October 2009, 07:01 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Mine is like a light switch... and there's an even shorter setting, took me a while to get used to it, but I'm old and slow...

dunx
Old 27 October 2009, 02:36 PM
H2o-uk
Scooby Regular

Dunx is yours the same as Im looking at on Ebay ?

Also does anyone know of a fitting guide anywhere, Ive had the console out to take a look and it doesnt look too difficult, but I wanna make sure there are no Gotchas
Old 27 October 2009, 05:53 PM
addison
Scooby Regular

http://www.twmperformance.com/manual...20and%20RS.pdf
Old 27 October 2009, 06:04 PM
H2o-uk
Scooby Regular

Thanks addison, thats great, prettu much as I expected. I might just buy the one off ebay and give it whirl.
Old 27 October 2009, 10:21 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Sorry, mine's an STI, so mucho spondooliicks (GFB)....

dunx
Old 31 October 2009, 06:00 PM
Molbyman
Scooby Regular

Default Fitting poblems...

Hi...for the price I decided to buy one of these off e-bay as described. I tried to fit this afternoon onto my 03 WRX.
I found that after pushing the **** into the plastic cup I then couldn't link up the cars gear mechanism. The location bracket on the short shift is higher than on the original shift as shown here.
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z...n/DSC_0182.jpg

Because of this I can't link the shifter to the cars mecanism as shown here
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z...n/DSC_0181.jpg.

No instructions came with the short shifter althogh there seem to be quite a few washers and tubes to fit. I've contacted the seller.

Am I doing anything obviously wrong?
Old 31 October 2009, 06:39 PM
addison
Scooby Regular

it should be higher that's how it works
it looks as you have washers and tubes to pack out bracket to suit gear mechanism
let us know how you get on
i have just ordered one so i hope it fits
Old 31 October 2009, 06:41 PM
JonnyFresh
Scooby Regular

I changed mine on my classic with few problems. I only had two slight problems and they were the ball did not want to go into the socket went in after a a small amount of force. Secondly my kit came with two washers but to get a nice fit I had to file one down.
I then topped it off with a momo ****. One of the best things I've done, wish I had done it sooner.
Old 31 October 2009, 11:35 PM
H2o-uk
Scooby Regular

molbyman, addison, have you guys had any further success with fitting one of these yet ?
Old 31 October 2009, 11:44 PM
addison
Scooby Regular

have not got it yet
guess it will take a week?
Old 01 November 2009, 01:10 PM
Molbyman
Scooby Regular

Just finished before the GP :-)
I think I have worked out how to fit the shifter.

The reason the cars gear mechanism does not fit as, on my WRX at least, the mechanism was hitting the steel surround around the gear stick area at the front. The steel surround is held in place by x4 10mm bolts. Remove the bolts at the front and loosen at the rear.
Supplied with the kit are 2 short plated steel spacers. Fit the spacers under the front of the steel surround to lift up this surround. You will need two longer 10mm bolts as the ones removed are now too short to reach the threads. These were not supplied in the kit.

I actually complety removed the steel surround - it just lifts out, there are 2 rubber locating pins when refitting - I also cut away an area where the mechanism was hitting to to ensure the gear mechanism from the gearbox did not vibrate against the steel surround.

A new, shorter, tube insert for the quick shift is supplied. Put some grease around this as it fits in a roller cage within the quick shift.
Insert the quick shift between the cars gear change mechanism and fit the large washer supplied and the brass spacer against the gear change mechanism. This needs to be done either side. Slide in the long bolt originally removed and do not overtighten.

Reassemble all the plastic surrounds. I've only checked I can get all the gears so far when stationary. The throw is shorter by quite an amount. Will take her for a spin after the GP.

Oh yeh...its not that easy getting the quick shift **** located into the plastic cup. Refit your gear **** and cover well with a thick towel or similar. Use a rubber mallet and knock the **** into the cup - it took quite a whack to get it in but this seems to be normal after reading some USA forum sites re fitting.

Hope this helps......and I hope I have worked out the correct fitting !
Old 01 November 2009, 02:29 PM
H2o-uk
Scooby Regular

Nice how to Molbyman, I saw a couple of those USA forum how to's also and it looked alot more complex than that, possibly them over complicating things.

Think I'll order one myself now as I too have an 03 WRX I should be able to follow your instructions to the letter. Please update us all on how it works out when you take it for a spin, I'm intrigued to see how well it shifts.

Old 01 November 2009, 05:36 PM
addison
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Molbyman
Just finished before the GP :-)
I think I have worked out how to fit the shifter.

The reason the cars gear mechanism does not fit as, on my WRX at least, the mechanism was hitting the steel surround around the gear stick area at the front. The steel surround is held in place by x4 10mm bolts. Remove the bolts at the front and loosen at the rear.
Supplied with the kit are 2 short plated steel spacers. Fit the spacers under the front of the steel surround to lift up this surround. You will need two longer 10mm bolts as the ones removed are now too short to reach the threads. These were not supplied in the kit.

I actually complety removed the steel surround - it just lifts out, there are 2 rubber locating pins when refitting - I also cut away an area where the mechanism was hitting to to ensure the gear mechanism from the gearbox did not vibrate against the steel surround.

A new, shorter, tube insert for the quick shift is supplied. Put some grease around this as it fits in a roller cage within the quick shift.
Insert the quick shift between the cars gear change mechanism and fit the large washer supplied and the brass spacer against the gear change mechanism. This needs to be done either side. Slide in the long bolt originally removed and do not overtighten.

Reassemble all the plastic surrounds. I've only checked I can get all the gears so far when stationary. The throw is shorter by quite an amount. Will take her for a spin after the GP

:

Oh yeh...its not that easy getting the quick shift **** located into the plastic cup. Refit your gear **** and cover well with a thick towel or similar. Use a rubber mallet and knock the **** into the cup - it took quite a whack to get it in but this seems to be normal after reading some USA forum sites re fitting.

Hope this helps......and I hope I have worked out the correct fitting !
Thanks thats a great help
looking foward to fitting mine now

Last edited by addison; 01 November 2009 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02 November 2009, 06:28 PM
Molbyman
Scooby Regular

Reply from seller as follows;
1) Rotate the shifter through 180 degrees so that the pivot point is to the rear. This will have the effect of reducing the height of the gear mechanism (a little) which may be enough to permit movement.

2) File a little off the underside of the central console which the gear mechanism is rubbing, this will allow it a little extra height which could be all it needs.

No one else has reported any problem with this shifter, so hopefuly either this will sort it, or you'll figure it out!
end of quote.
1) didn't work.
2) This will work. Surprised he didn't mention use of the plated steel spacers? There is no where on the shifter mechanism to fit them.
Looks like there are no fitting instructions.......
Old 02 November 2009, 09:16 PM
H2o-uk
Scooby Regular

How does the gear shift feel with how you have fitted molbyman ? Does it go into gear correctly and stay in, no jumping out etc. If so, yours is the installation manual I'll be using :P
Old 02 November 2009, 10:07 PM
Molbyman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by H2o-uk
How does the gear shift feel with how you have fitted molbyman ? Does it go into gear correctly and stay in, no jumping out etc. If so, yours is the installation manual I'll be using :P
Yeh, change feels nice and smooth, not notchy at all - think the roller bearing race helps. When you remove yours you will see that the OEM shifter relies on 2 plastic inserts :-(

Throw on change is pretty small - as stated above, a little like a light switch. No problems really to report :-). All gears select easily and precisley.
Old 02 November 2009, 10:10 PM
H2o-uk
Scooby Regular

Superb, thanks for the report back, I cant wait to get mine and have a go myself
Old 03 November 2009, 10:13 PM
H2o-uk
Scooby Regular

Mine came in the post today. Fitted it using Molbmans instructions and all went well. I didnt need to cut the metal plate around the shifter as it seems to be well out of the way using shims supplied. I fitted the shifter and the two brass extension peices. I didnt however install both the washers that were supplied with the kit, I found one was tight up against one side of the linkage joint, but the other flapped around and made a tinkling noise as I drove so off it came. I might buy a pack of washers and pack both sides out to make it even, and also loctite the nut on the large bolt that goes through the shift link.

Excellent for the price though, does as it says, gear shifts are alot closer, and is gives a very nice gear change feel as it shifts. Got to change the orientation of my proddrive badge on the gearknob now though as it tightens down differently.
Old 14 November 2009, 06:48 PM
addison
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonnyFresh

I changed mine on my classic with few problems. I only had two slight problems and they were the ball did not want to go into the socket went in after a a small amount of force. Secondly my kit came with two washers but to get a nice fit I had to file one down.
I then topped it off with a momo ****. One of the best things I've done, wish I had done it sooner.
what dose the yellow plate do thats around the gear ****?
as i will have to move mine a lot or cut
to get my short shifter to fit
Old 14 November 2009, 08:17 PM
Molbyman
Scooby Regular

On the Newage, the plate just retains the rubber moulding that really separates the inside of the car from the elements outside. There were 4 small bolts holding the plate in place. Once these were removed, the plate lifts off ready for trimming.
In the end, I took this plate out and severly trimmed it at the front so I could operate without the spacers. I think tht using spacers under the front 2 bolts did not allow a good seal of the rubber moulding - there was definately more road noise.
Old 15 November 2009, 03:39 PM
addison
Scooby Regular

Well it dose not fit a 06 WRX
fitted mine today would not work!!

its not the plate

Its the body work of the tunnel
which i can't get at to cut
so will have to think again