Help / Advice needed - Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2009, 09:25 AM
chavadurkin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help / Advice needed - Brakes

Hi

Hoping someone can give me a little advice.........

About 4 month back I bought some Black Diamond ( grooved ) brake discs, and Red Stuff pads to match and fitted them to the car with no problems. I only did the fronts as the rears still have plenty of life in them.

After doing a quick check around the car last night I noticed that the discs are nearly worn away, and the pads are still looking like new. I understand that discs to wear down - but I have only done 1500 miles of normal everyday
driving ( I dont drive the car hard ( 02 WRX ) ). And surely it should be the pads that get replaced long before the discs?

I thought a set of discs should last the life of 2 or 3 sets of pads?

So - do I bite the bullet, and change discs and pads again and pay out of my pocket - or do I contact the place where I got them and try get either or both changed, as they had been mis-sold to me ( I got the match under their recommendations ).

The place I got them from is Demon Tweeks*..........

Any advice welcome.

*Please note - I am by no way trying to give Demon Tweeks a bad name, as I have bought a lot of very good stuff from there - and would gladly use them again.

Chris
Old 23 October 2009, 09:49 AM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you have a very soft set of rotors there. RedStuff pads are reasonably low dust and low rotor wear so that's a very strange one. Definately under normal driving conditions you will get through a couple of sets of pads before the discs need changing, sometimes depending on your driving style you could get through 3 or 4 sets of pads.

WRX's driven normally aren't generally very heavy on pads or rotors so i would be speaking with Demon Tweekes about this. They will no doubt ask you to send the those rotos back for inspection and perhaps even the pads. In the meantime whatever happens you need new rotors. Low cost wise the EBC drilled and grooved discs are good for the money. If you have more money to spend the sky's the limit i suppose.
Old 23 October 2009, 09:53 AM
New_scooby_04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wouldn't touch EBC stuff with a bargepole; you be better off with standard discs and uprated pads such as Ferodo dS2500

Suggest you contact Alyn as ASperformance or David at APi for advice.
Old 23 October 2009, 10:23 AM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's nothing wrong with EBC kit. For the money it's reasonable value and does the job. For the OP's normal driving habits EBC is not a bad budget choice.