ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Scooby Vs Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2002, 09:42 AM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm extremely sorry if this type of post is frowned upon, but I need to know which is better overall as a work colleague has one and he tells me that Top Gear or Evo said that the Fiat wins 'hands down'.

Does any one have any references to reviews, personal experiences?

The reason I ask today is because I was tail-gaited by one of these buggers on the motorway today for about a mile and couldn't shake him off (it was an S-reg so I think its the 20v with a V5 engine).
Old 15 March 2002, 09:55 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Same old same old - Above 60 the fiat is as good (acceleration) as a scoob. Running costs are probably substantially less. Insurance and servicing are cheaper. Haven't had a chance to drive one in the wet or on fast B roads, but I would imagine that the scoob would be the better option on these occasions. Having owned a fiat in the 80's I was surprised by the improvement in build quality, but the one I tested had only 1500 miles on the clock so didn't rattle as much as expected.
Old 15 March 2002, 10:01 AM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

Cheers Fast Bloke...well that explains why I couldn't shrug him after 60 - but it being a fwd wouldn't make it a reassuring drive around wet twisties!
Old 15 March 2002, 10:03 AM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

If you think Impreza Depreciation is bad you should see how cheaply you can pick these up for now.

I would have thought that from a Standing start in the dry the Impreza would have the early advantage (obviously due to 4 wheel drive) but the Fiat would make this up after 60 MPH (2 wheel drive hence less transmission losses).

The 20 Valve Turbos have 220BHP compared to 215BHP for a UK Impreza Turbo.
Old 15 March 2002, 10:10 AM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

Yes apparently you can get these for about 8k (3yrs old)! Not sure what the new price is though, and they have an interior design by pininfarina (sounds hairdressery, but they do perform).
Old 15 March 2002, 10:22 AM
fivepint
Scooby Regular

I have the pleasure of driving both on a regular basis, my MY00 and my best mates 99 coupe 20v turbo LE, accelaration wise the Fiat "feels quicker" the turbo seems more abrupt, but the 6 speed box has a massive throw compared to the scoobie, also the ride and damping in the coupe is alot harsher making for slower progress on the bumpy backroads we have here in Ireland... servicing aint much cheaper.. try IR£1200 for a cambelt (engine out job), he does get 35mpg though (6 spd)... he wins hands down in the babe magnet dept though...girls seem to luv it!!!

Cheers

ps: I always look forward to getting back in the scooby
Old 15 March 2002, 10:25 AM
fivepint
Scooby Regular

Also yes it is a 5cyl inline engine putting out 220bhp but it may be a little heavier than a scooby, on a motorway not much in it its superior areodynamics may help it with higher speed 100-130mph does seem quicker in the coupe, but show it some twisties and it dies...
Old 15 March 2002, 10:29 AM
wilf
Scooby Regular

220bhp fwd
Bit like the old Saab Turbo 16v. Entertaining but not sophisticated.
Old 15 March 2002, 10:32 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

What *is* this obsession with "show it some twisties"??????

A crap driver in a scoob will kill himself trying to keep up with a good driver in a fwd by going into a corner too fast, lifting off, and spinning it through the scenery.

Make it average drivers in both cases, and then you're talking but to be honest I think it'll be more marginal than people think.

Could we change the record? I think it's stuck. I know how good our cars are round the twisties, but do we have to get into a my parts are bigger than your parts every time?

Nick
PS - I do *love* my car and wouldn't change it for anything at the moment, but this board does appear rather disparaging at times.

PPS - Saying that the Fiat is in the same league as the EVO or Scoob is sacrilege
Old 15 March 2002, 10:33 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Talking

Oops, that's probably flamebait...
Old 15 March 2002, 10:39 AM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

Red face

I just had a look at the evo forum and there's a topic on 60-100 times and the coupe has it at 8.5 and the scooby (WRX) at 12.3, so I guess the fiat does win hands down in a straight line (if these figures are accurate, which I somehow doubt!)

60-100 Evo Forum times
Old 15 March 2002, 10:48 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

Make it average drivers in both cases, and then you're talking but to be honest I think it'll be more marginal than people think.
Chiark - I think we are talking the SAME driver in both cases, and the likelyhood of visiting the scenery trying to go fast.
Old 15 March 2002, 10:48 AM
PaulMc
Scooby Regular

Question

Is the coupe not a straight 4 pot and 5 valves per cylinder? Not 5 cylinders or V5.
Old 15 March 2002, 10:50 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Speak to Alex (DrEvil). He had a Fiat Coupe and has had a plethora of Scoobs so will have a good knowledge of the 2.

Dave
Old 15 March 2002, 10:52 AM
fivepint
Scooby Regular

Wink

Chirak my comment was made on the basis that Ive driven both cars on a regular basis an a variety of roads, In the past my 4ws Celica 2.0 na was able to show the Fiat a clean pair of heels by my mates admission on the "twisties". I will openly admit on a straight stetch of road or even some sweeping good quality tarmac there is very little between the two... the coupe has a beautiful engine with a quite distinctive 5cyl howl.. and we all know that a crap driver will stuff themselves regradless of who or what they're trying to keep up with, thats no reflection on the car

Cheers
Old 15 March 2002, 10:53 AM
Paul78
Scooby Regular

Having driven both at length, my opinion is fairly unbiast.

The only reason these two get compared is that they both have 2L Turbo engines and can be had for similar money ( although the Scoobs are now starting to get more expensive ), and the Fiat has stopped production..

I think the fairest comparison was made a few years ago in EVO when they were trying to find the best real life track car !

The Fiat was described as ' and Oasis gig on wheels, loud and brash ' but it is still a very effective machine.

As we all know FWD ( ie: Intergra ) can be extremely good,the Fiat isn't however a cross country animal. For your everyday quite plush quick exec car - there wasn't much that could match the 20v Turbo in its heyday.. Very quick and subtle...

However - it the aformentioned EVO article, the Fiat came a close runner up,YUP to the Subaru Impreza Turbo.

Make your own minds up !

Regards,

Paul

[Edited by Paul78 - 3/15/2002 10:55:00 AM]
Old 15 March 2002, 10:56 AM
fivepint
Scooby Regular

its defo a 5cyl, there was a 16v 4cyl turbo available early on in its life but the latter turbos are 20v 5cyl... it was also a rally car in some Italian series too!!!

Cheers
Old 15 March 2002, 11:15 AM
scoobypig
Scooby Regular

I remember seeing a reputable road test quoting 0-100 in 14.2secs.
bear in mind the poor initial traction thats v.v.fast.
However, also verging on dangerous on wet B-road corners, I reckon!
Old 15 March 2002, 11:18 AM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

Well, I think that the fact that the Fiat is almost 4 seconds faster than the Impreza from 60-100 has taught me a lesson: don't race one from 60 onwards!!

Is there a copy of that EVO article anywhere online?
Old 15 March 2002, 11:30 AM
Goldfinger
Scooby Regular

I've test drove a few 20v Turbo Coupes and they are nice motors and feel as quick - as mentioned above - in a straight line above 60mph but traction off the line the Scoob is quicker (thanks to the 4wd ) and so posts a quicker 0-60 time ... however, in real-world driving the coupe is questionably similar to the scoob.

I know which one I feel most safe caning in any weather on any road .... and the Fiat would wheelspin its front wheels up to 60mph in 2nd gear!!!

Coupe is a great car and I think a spiritual successor to the cossie but IMHO I prefer my MY99 Turbo ....

That's my pennies worth!
Phil
Old 15 March 2002, 11:40 AM
Dales
Scooby Regular

Smile

A colleague at work had one, and I have to say it was a superb overtaking weapon. Great for smooth A-roads in dry conditions with traffic to get past. Superb warbly 5 cylinder engine.

However, show it a typical bumpy B road, and it all got a bit ragged - not as composed as a Scoob.

Overall though a great car, with real character.
Old 15 March 2002, 12:32 PM
juan
Scooby Regular

My missus has a Fiat Coupe 20v turbo with Fiat uprated brakes and wheels. Superb motorway car. It would kick scoobs *** above 60 as has been mentioned here several times, and pulls stunningly well at higher speeds (its top whack is 160mph). This is where the real difference is felt. Scoobs and Evos I have been in don't pull half as well as the Fiat once you're past the national limit. No offence to scoobies etc. The only car I've driven that feels faster once rolling at a fair speed is a supercharged Jag XKR (are they all supercharged? I dunno) and they are mentally fast (auto too!!!). I suspect the Fiat could have hammered past you if he was in the right gear. The problem with em is that they just pull so well you keep wanting to make use of it. Never even been close to being touched in it on a motorway (don't tell the missus tho!) :-| However they have one REALLY annoying feature - an absoutely shocking turning circle. Car parking is a mjor hassle and you need lots of space if you're gonna try and pull into a space nose first. It really is a massive pain.

It is a sheer joy to drive on motorways and nice easy A roads etc.

On country lanes it doesn't feel half as safe as my old evo. I think I could easily chug round corners 30 mph faster in the evo (no exageration). The Fiat just doesn't feel surefooted enough for safety unless on nice smooth roads.

The Fiat's long gears are great too and makes a nice change from close ratio box I had. They haven't half got some wellie, just takes a bit of time building up to it below 60, and you have to hold on tight. Nasty torque steer in 2nd if you're pushing it.

My evo felt considerably quicker to 60 but it was tuned to maximise lower speed acceleration, and you could steer it with one finger no probs. Over 60 The Fiat would annihilate me.

Akshaya67, I can seriously believe those figures. It really is very fast from 60 upwards in a straight line. Lovely engine note compared to evo too. Just smacks of grunt! :-)

[Edited by juan - 3/15/2002 2:27:46 PM]
Old 15 March 2002, 12:47 PM
Dales
Scooby Regular

Juan

Ah yes, I remember that turning circle - on one occasion, I remember him trying to make a turn at a junction on a narrow road, and having to reverse several times just to get it round - rather embarrassing.

I've just got an Alfa 156 and that seems to have a similar affliction - must be an italian thing....
Old 15 March 2002, 12:57 PM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

Wink

Juan,

Yes I can believe that now, especially after what happend this morning.

I must say that the coupes are very good value for money as you be hard pushed to spend over 10k on a pristine example.

Cheers!
Old 15 March 2002, 01:11 PM
TonyG
Scooby Regular

Location: The dark side of the Sun and owner of 2 fairy tokens
Someone I know at work has one as well - I've sat in it, it's quite nice on the inside, looks smart from the outside. However, I haven't driven it (and he hasn't driven mine), so I can't make any comparison as to how they drive. I did think the gearshift throw was a bit on the long side compared to the Scoob.

IMHO the 'best' car is the one you want to buy/own, as car ownership is as much a subjective thing as it is objective - you pays your money and you takes your pick. Sure, there are faster/better cars than mine out there, but I'm happy with what I've got
Old 15 March 2002, 01:19 PM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

THE FIRST FIAT COUPES USED THE SAME ENGINE AS A LANCIA INTEGRALE, WE ALL KNOW HOW GOOD THOSE ARE!!

VERY BIASED OPINIONS HERE ARNT THEY!
I DONT OWN A fIAT COUPE, I OWN A CORRADO.
Old 15 March 2002, 01:20 PM
WRX SEE
Scooby Regular

Wasnt the initial 4 cilinder turbo engine in the early Fiat Coupes the same engine as the Delta Integrale?
Old 15 March 2002, 01:33 PM
fdpxfunix
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hmmmm

Get the Scoob's back seats forward, load the boot right up and be amazed at quick the car still is.

IMHO you can't really compare the 20v Turbo to a standard Scoob.

Fiat = Sports car, designed to go quick.
Scoob = 4/5 door practical car design to go quick.

J.
Old 15 March 2002, 02:16 PM
simon_prickett
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I've had both, both are excellent, but at different things... out and out speed wise, the Fiat IS faster, but A-B the Subaru's faster, especially if A-B includes B roads.

Simon.
Old 15 March 2002, 02:25 PM
juan
Scooby Regular

aye. Fiat handles really nicely on the smooth sweeping roads and motorways but once off these Japanese 4WD is much better.

The Fiat feels a bit like a mini Grand Tourer. It took a bit of getting used to but I quite like it now. It feels like a lot less work than my old motor (must be getting old if thats a good thing!!) but the oomph is there if you want it.

Was never that sure about the looks originally but hers really looks the biz too with the larger wheels, fatter tyres and big drilled discs etc. No leather interior but thats fine by me. Not that keen on leather in cars. Nice enough seats etc. Maybe they was foresaken for the uprated bits?

Not much room in the back like most coupes

[Edited by juan - 3/15/2002 2:51:12 PM]

Quick Reply: Scooby Vs Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo