2008 onwards STI exhaust advice

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2009, 01:38 PM
VinceW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2008 onwards STI exhaust advice

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a cat back exhaust or performance back box for my 2009 sti, I have only seen a couple of manufactures that make them. Anybody tried the Subaru back box for £350? or who would you recommend? I don't really want to spend a hugh ammount of money, £400 max, just looking for a reasonable exhaust note and not too loud. You can't hear the standard one at all! (Very boring!)

Cheers Vince

Last edited by VinceW; 20 October 2009 at 02:11 PM.
Old 20 October 2009, 02:01 PM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Hi

Just been down the same route myself and afraid you will probably struggle to get change from the wrong side of £500. Stan Palmers can do you a Miltek cat back for about £575 as can Litchfield.

I opted and managed to get my hands on a PPP box however these are extreamly hard to get hold of so you may struggle, still not that loud but I'll be adding a deresonated centre pipe soon which I'm hoping will raise it a few db's, looks lovely though.

I did look at the Subaru box for £350 but was not keen on the 2 oval pipes, they also did not have rolled lips and looked a bit flimsy.

Revolution did have a 2nd hand Scoropion box a little while ago which was pretty much brand new but again did not like the tail pipe design and think it was on the quite side.

If you don't mind 2x single pipes Hayward and Scott can prob sort you out for about £500 but it will be quite loud.

Check out the last 10 or so pages of the hatch thread in the members gallary and there is quite a bit of discussion on exhaust.

Cheers
Arron
Old 20 October 2009, 02:16 PM
VinceW
Scooby Regular

Hi Arron,

I've been on the prodrive site, they don't sell the parts separately, you have to get the complete performance kit apparently. It also states they pass the noise regulations for supercars so I suspect they will be pretty quiet, although I'm not after hugh noise, just to hear the exhaust note over the road noise will be fine. I really would like to keep the four tail pipes but beggers can't be choosers!

Cheers

Vince
Old 20 October 2009, 03:03 PM
codie247
Scooby Regular

i have the revolution cat back, very pleased with it. workmanship is excellent, great fit and sounds awesome without being too loud. theres a couple more on their site worth looking at. Or have a look on IWSTI for different looks.

Lee
Old 20 October 2009, 03:21 PM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by VinceW
Hi Arron,

I've been on the prodrive site, they don't sell the parts separately, you have to get the complete performance kit apparently. It also states they pass the noise regulations for supercars so I suspect they will be pretty quiet, although I'm not after hugh noise, just to hear the exhaust note over the road noise will be fine. I really would like to keep the four tail pipes but beggers can't be choosers!

Cheers

Vince
I was fortunate enough to get mine second hand, it was only 3 months old so pretty much brand new. I have a clip of it on youtube if you search '2008 subaru impreza prodrive exhasut', I've been told though its louder when under load, you just cannot hear it taht well in the cabin, guess that could be the better sound proofing?
Old 21 October 2009, 03:48 PM
VinceW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by codie247
i have the revolution cat back, very pleased with it. workmanship is excellent, great fit and sounds awesome without being too loud. theres a couple more on their site worth looking at. Or have a look on IWSTI for different looks.

Lee
Is that the Remus Revolution exhaust? or can you provide me with the web link please?

Cheers Vince
Old 21 October 2009, 04:12 PM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Its this one I belive

New Hi-flow Design

Trending Topics

Old 21 October 2009, 07:06 PM
battlescoob
Scooby Regular

try kt greens subaru dealer in leeds i think they do one
Old 22 October 2009, 04:19 PM
VinceW
Scooby Regular

Cool

Lee
Hi Lee,

Difficult question to answer I know but how loud is loud? My Magnex previously on my wrx was ok, covered the road noise from the tryes with the engine note but wasn't much louder than that, that's what I'm looking for again really. At present the car is too quiet, you cant even hear the exhaust note. I just want a background noise rather than intrusion if you know what I mean? Does the revolution do this or is it louder?

I Had a Mongoose on an RS Turbo before that was very loud, the Janspeed on my previous RS Turbo wasn't much better but I was younger then! I don't really want to go down that route.

Is the Miltek quieter do you know?

Cheers

Vince
Old 23 October 2009, 11:35 AM
VinceW
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Arronb
Hi

Just been down the same route myself and afraid you will probably struggle to get change from the wrong side of £500. Stan Palmers can do you a Miltek cat back for about £575 as can Litchfield.

I opted and managed to get my hands on a PPP box however these are extreamly hard to get hold of so you may struggle, still not that loud but I'll be adding a deresonated centre pipe soon which I'm hoping will raise it a few db's, looks lovely though.

I did look at the Subaru box for £350 but was not keen on the 2 oval pipes, they also did not have rolled lips and looked a bit flimsy.

Revolution did have a 2nd hand Scoropion box a little while ago which was pretty much brand new but again did not like the tail pipe design and think it was on the quite side.

If you don't mind 2x single pipes Hayward and Scott can prob sort you out for about £500 but it will be quite loud.

Check out the last 10 or so pages of the hatch thread in the members gallary and there is quite a bit of discussion on exhaust.

Cheers
Arron
Just found this on you tube, might be the way to go!

YouTube - Subaru Impreza sti 330S MY09 type UK exhaust test

Cheers

Vince
Old 23 October 2009, 11:44 AM
Rheid
Scooby Regular

Bear in mind the 330S already has the Prodrive back box fitted.
Old 23 October 2009, 08:59 PM
VinceW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rheid
Bear in mind the 330S already has the Prodrive back box fitted.
Got a price off of Subaru today, 330s Prodrive backbox is £675 inc vat, not fitted! They can do the Subaru sports muffler for £315 instead of £350. I haven't found anybody who is doing replacement mid sections, Scorpion do one for the hawk eye. I would be interested to know what a standard back box sounds like with the box in the mid section removed.
Old 23 October 2009, 09:34 PM
Abx
Scooby Regular

scoobyparts should have a mid section in a matter of weeks.
Old 23 October 2009, 09:37 PM
codie247
Scooby Regular

VinceW where bouts are u? BBO soon, should be a couple of 08 STi you can listen to there. I would say before decat, revolution exhaust is a touch louder than Prodrive box, not much tho. Thing with the hatches and the newage is your exhaust will sound better when your out of the car, as in when the Mrs drives off up road, if you know what i mean?

Cheers

Lee

P.S Revolution is cat back and includes the centre pipe

Last edited by codie247; 23 October 2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 24 October 2009, 09:35 AM
VinceW
Scooby Regular

VinceW where bouts are u? BBO soon, should be a couple of 08 STi you can listen to there. I would say before decat, revolution exhaust is a touch louder than Prodrive box, not much tho. Thing with the hatches and the newage is your exhaust will sound better when your out of the car, as in when the Mrs drives off up road, if you know what i mean?

Cheers

Lee

P.S Revolution is cat back and includes the centre pipe
Hi Lee,

I'm in maidstone, kent. Whats the BBO?

Revolution looks like a good choice, but £500 is too expensive at the moment for me. Other models cat backs seem to be around £300 max so I don't know why the 2008 is so expensive. Supply and demand I guess. If Subaru can sell a bckbox for £315 genuine part, others should be able to as well!

Cheers

Vince

Last edited by VinceW; 24 October 2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old 24 October 2009, 10:37 AM
Abx
Scooby Regular

I think the quad pipes up the price a fair bit, if you were to buy decent quality tail pipe (you know the chrome attachment things) you can pay upwards of £30 each, thats £120on the tailpipes alone!

I'm in Greenhite so if your ever up at Bluewater pop me a pm and you can have a listen of my PPP box, should have a center section with it soon so hoping for a bit more noise.
Old 24 October 2009, 11:16 AM
REVOLUTION
Former Sponsor

Hi

Our Revolution system for the STi Hatch is not too loud, it is a touch louder than the standard item from inside of the car but from outside it sounds a a lot better, bit more like the flat 4 sound that the car should have!

As our exhausts have been for all year of Impreza since we first designed the system for the Classic back in '98 they are regarded as one of the quieter systems, compared to the likes of Blitz etc.
We have the system fitted to our demo car and to drive it is fine, even with the full de-cat fitted.
Our system for the '08 STi hatch is a bit more expensive than the ones for the earlier cars presumably due the fact that there is more involved in the system, 4 tailpipes, larger silencer etc etc.
We have supplied quite a few of these for the '08 cars and everyone seems to be happy with the sound.

Thanks

Keith
Old 24 October 2009, 03:34 PM
StanS
Scooby Regular

I'd wait for the next generation - with an in-line silencer(s) and only one tail pipe per side. Got to be better flow than the current bends + sideways silencer !
Old 24 October 2009, 04:52 PM
VinceW
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Arronb
scoobyparts should have a mid section in a matter of weeks.
I found this today, don't know if it will mate with the standard backbox, will need to call them Monday

Impreza Turbo 2008 on : Subaru Impreza 2008 Hatchback Centre section
Old 25 October 2009, 01:41 PM
Scooby Wagon
Scooby Regular

Have the KT Green rear box fitted to ours, with a Hayward & Scott straight through centre pipe, really happy with it, louder from outside than in, but you can hear it without being intrusive

link here 2008 Sti Impreza with Custom Exhaust from KTGreen Motorsport on Vimeo
2008 STI Accessories | Performance Exhaust | Wheels | Styling
Old 26 October 2009, 09:37 AM
Abx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by VinceW
I found this today, don't know if it will mate with the standard backbox, will need to call them Monday

Impreza Turbo 2008 on : Subaru Impreza 2008 Hatchback Centre section
They do that system but are also in the process of manufacturing one for th standard system.
Old 26 October 2009, 09:28 PM
GE90
Scooby Regular

VinceW

I have a 2009 STi with PPP and am in Bromley if you would like to have a listen.
Old 26 October 2009, 09:40 PM
VinceW
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by GE90
VinceW

I have a 2009 STi with PPP and am in Bromley if you would like to have a listen.
Thanks for the offer, unless i can get a 2nd hand prodrive box I think the prodrive option is too expensive, revolution247 is looking like the best optiion at present, still a lot of money though unless they do a sale at Christmas!

Cheers Vince
Old 29 October 2009, 06:20 PM
VinceW
Scooby Regular

Wink

The Revolution 247 cat back is ordered. It's made for them by Jettex apparently. And a K&N replacement filter ordered at the same time! Good bye £535! Still should be a big grin when they're fitted!

Last edited by VinceW; 29 October 2009 at 06:48 PM.
Old 29 October 2009, 10:30 PM
codie247
Scooby Regular

Temptation wins again!!! Good choice mate.

Lee
Old 29 October 2009, 11:57 PM
renny
Scooby Regular

It's amazing how people always manage to stretch that little bit further when they really want something for their Subaru isn't it - myself included.

Whenever i have something in mind for mine i instinctively have an estimate in my head of what it will cost - i always double my initial estimate now!
Old 30 October 2009, 05:10 PM
VinceW
Scooby Regular

It's a lot of money for an exhaust pipe, I plan to have the car for some time so I consider it as an investment! Plus the car sounds crap at the moment and I will be a lot happier when I can hear that flat 4 rumble!!!

ps where are the smilies

Cheers

Vince
Old 10 November 2009, 04:21 PM
VinceW
Scooby Regular

Fitted the Revolution, good fit and nicely made, very adjustable as it is in lots of sections which clamp together, down side of the clamp joints is you have to seal them all or they leak like a seive (I found out the hard way!) I was worried about how loud it would be as it is straight through. I am very pleased, it's not that loud but you can hear the engine burble, the noise now enters the cabin but it's not intrusive. It won't upset the neighbours and put a big smile on my face. Higly recommended although expensive at £500.