Sponsored by:

Best base for track day scooby

Search this Thread

Old 09 October 2009, 04:56 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best base for track day scooby

I'm looking to put together a quick track day scooby, and wanted some advice on the best base car to start from. It looks like there are a fair number of v4/v5 Type R out there at the moment, so would one of these be a good base?

I'm not sure I where I want to end up power-wise, but would prefer to start out with something that has lots of potential. Reading around, it sounds like a v4 will have an EJ20K open deck block and a v5 will have an EJ207 semi-closed deck, so presumably the EJ207 is the better base for serious power. Or would I be better off finding something older with an EJ20G closed deck block to start with. (Or is this all just a waste of time and will I need a new block to get to serious power anyway?).

Last edited by scud8; 09 October 2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old 09 October 2009, 05:01 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

Type RA is the best base car.
Version 5 is a very good car but the version 3 and before have a certain rawness to them.
Type R is NOT the lightest car, is actually quoted as being heavier than the 4 door.
Wagon is actually quoted as the stiffest shell.
Version 1 + 2 RA I believe come with closed deck block as standard however the open deck block has been proven to handle over 500bhp in other race cars and so unless pushing big big power there is no need.
If you are pushing over 500 bhp you will more than likely end up forging a 2.5L engine and the search function will tell you all you need to know about that.
Old 09 October 2009, 06:39 PM
malcs scooby
Scooby Regular

ive got a type r but would thought a type ra would be better as its race altered already and closed deck block ect
Old 09 October 2009, 07:00 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

Is there any real difference between the RA shell and the STI saloon shell? I thought they were basically the same except the RA was stripped out.
Old 09 October 2009, 09:05 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

erm, allegedly there is less sound deadening, and the aerial location, manual winding windows, no aircon, roof flap if STI, waterspray.
Old 09 October 2009, 10:02 PM
Forester sti
Scooby Regular

You can get a very cheap base car if you don't mind not having DCCD!
Personally I'd go with the type R, mainly because wide arch kits are available,
And they are so very pretty,
Type RA's and R's are mechanicly the same, and weight differences will be only slight,
It's their close ratio box that will be great on track and plated rear diff so the older sti RA's should be the cheapest one as it didn't have DCCD,
I'd go for a nice small BB turbo for a realy responsive 380/380
Then go for a nice revvy forged build based on a closed deck EJ22 and a bigger GT30 for 500/500
Have fun
Dan
Old 09 October 2009, 11:22 PM
mattpat
Scooby Regular

RA
Old 10 October 2009, 08:59 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

All sti RAs had dccd, roof vent etc.
The wrx RA didnt have the dccd.
Old 10 October 2009, 09:20 AM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Peanuts
Type RA is the best base car.
Version 5 is a very good car but the version 3 and before have a certain rawness to them.
Type R is NOT the lightest car, is actually quoted as being heavier than the 4 door.
Wagon is actually quoted as the stiffest shell.
Version 1 + 2 RA I believe come with closed deck block as standard however the open deck block has been proven to handle over 500bhp in other race cars and so unless pushing big big power there is no need.
If you are pushing over 500 bhp you will more than likely end up forging a 2.5L engine and the search function will tell you all you need to know about that.
thanks for that, interesting to know! type r quoted heavier then a 4 dr!
Old 10 October 2009, 09:42 AM
Mus
Scooby Regular

ver 3 sti but if your thinking of going for big power then add gearbox thats another 2.5grand to 3k fitted might aswell buy an early spec C for around 7k to 8k. you get avcs heads with it too better spool and standard engine can take between 400 to 450bhp with out uprating much.

mus
Old 10 October 2009, 08:53 PM
Dazza9t9
Scooby Regular

I wanted a scoob that I could take on the track... but money permotting I was only able to get a wrx 1994. I am hoping in time, plus mods, this is gonna be a good track car
Old 10 October 2009, 08:59 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scud8
I'm looking to put together a quick track day scooby, and wanted some advice on the best base car to start from. It looks like there are a fair number of v4/v5 Type R out there at the moment, so would one of these be a good base?

I'm not sure I where I want to end up power-wise, but would prefer to start out with something that has lots of potential. Reading around, it sounds like a v4 will have an EJ20K open deck block and a v5 will have an EJ207 semi-closed deck, so presumably the EJ207 is the better base for serious power. Or would I be better off finding something older with an EJ20G closed deck block to start with. (Or is this all just a waste of time and will I need a new block to get to serious power anyway?).
It all depends what you want? There is no answer unless you specify your goals!
Old 10 October 2009, 09:30 PM
speedyscooby
Scooby Regular

It all depends on your budget
which when entering in to the field of "track Cars" car be from about £5 K up to what ever you want to spend.
Also your experince and what tracks you will drive the most should be taken into account.

There are alot of people who talk the talk but they never go on track, with Subaru's Brakes are a week point no matter what model if pushed hard.
A Wrx at Cadwell Park will cook a set of standard brakes in 3 or 4 laps .

Also cooling is a issue with various models however all these items can be overcome with buying the right parts .

Last edited by speedyscooby; 10 October 2009 at 09:36 PM.
Old 10 October 2009, 09:34 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

dont get a wrx just get yourself a honda dc2 atleast you wont have to worry about clutches over heating and the list of scooby problems. it will also be quicker than wrx and much more reliable
Old 10 October 2009, 11:01 PM
172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mus 1st class sti type r
dont get a wrx just get yourself a honda dc2 atleast you wont have to worry about clutches over heating and the list of scooby problems. it will also be quicker than wrx and much more reliable
Sorry but thats not true, well the quicker part..........

Std ish 95wrx easily kicked a stripped and caged dc2 around cadwell

There is lots going for the lower non sti models
Old 10 October 2009, 11:32 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

sorry mate but i have had two DC2 one 96 spec and the other was a 98spec r and yes they are quicker than a wrx not STI around the track the road maybe diffrent on the strip. the wrx driver was a proberly a better driver and as much as i hate to admit it the dc2 is more reliable than a wrx if there both more or less the same age and it will also cost less to run and you get better mpg.
Old 10 October 2009, 11:49 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 172sport
It all depends what you want? There is no answer unless you specify your goals!
Good point! The main idea is to have fun. I used to do a fair amount of rallying, but have lost interest over the last few years as it has got more and more expensive and I got fed up driving a 205 over stages that had been roughed up by 50 Evos first (and I didn't have the budget to run an Evo or Scooby myself with the regular gearbox rebuilds required). I'm starting to miss the buzz, but I'm not really interested in going back to rallying - so the idea is to start out doing some track days and see where it leads.

In terms of car spec I don't have any firm goals or budget (availability of money is unlikely to be an issue, my desire to spend it may be). I would like to start on a path that could get somewhere in the 450 bhp /450 lb ft to 500/500 range, but accept I may not decide to go that far. The plan would be to sort suspension, brakes and safety first, then start upgrading engine and drivetrain. It will be a track day car only, but it would need to be road legal as I have no desire to trailer a car around. I'm unlikely to do much work on the car myself, so it needs to be reliable - I understand plenty of the theory, but wouldn't have the confidence to drive something I had built myself!

Last edited by scud8; 10 October 2009 at 11:50 PM.
Old 11 October 2009, 12:04 AM
172sport
Scooby Regular

sorry mate but i have had two DC2 one 96 spec and the other was a 98spec r and yes they are quicker than a wrx not STI around the track the road maybe diffrent on the strip. the wrx driver was a proberly a better driver and as much as i hate to admit it the dc2 is more reliable than a wrx if there both more or less the same age and it will also cost less to run and you get better mpg.
Mmmm, Mine did a 1min 45sec round Cadwell, not bad for near std
Old 11 October 2009, 12:05 AM
172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedyscooby
It all depends on your budget
which when entering in to the field of "track Cars" car be from about £5 K up to what ever you want to spend.
Also your experince and what tracks you will drive the most should be taken into account.

There are alot of people who talk the talk but they never go on track, with Subaru's Brakes are a week point no matter what model if pushed hard.
A Wrx at Cadwell Park will cook a set of standard brakes in 3 or 4 laps .

Also cooling is a issue with various models however all these items can be overcome with buying the right parts .
Buy an M3 you will have loads more fun, if i started again it wouldnt be an Impreza
Old 11 October 2009, 12:23 AM
Mus
Scooby Regular

yes agree m3 e36 coupe 3.2 coupe for the budget would be a great track car and wont cost the earth to maintain
Old 11 October 2009, 12:42 AM
172sport
Scooby Regular

yes agree m3 e36 coupe 3.2 coupe for the budget would be a great track car and wont cost the earth to maintain

Doubt you would drink 200 quids worth of super on a trackday either.............

Well that and gearboxes, I did another after just 2 drag runs, granted they where both full bore launches but still!

Never again, I will stick to the circuits now lots less car damage.

Other than that is has run faultless TBH
Old 12 October 2009, 04:08 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 172sport
if i started again it wouldnt be an Impreza

+1
Old 12 October 2009, 09:18 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

if your on a budget its hard to have an impreza as a track car the list never ends sooner or later you will be hit with bottom end. i got a mate of mine he owns an e46 m3 in midnight pruple lovely car he is forever taking the **** out of scoobies and unfortunately i have to agree with him they are by far not the most relaible cars, i had 2 integra as long as you feed super unleaded service them every 6k milles nothing ever went wrong and that car used to go through abuse every day and the only thing that went wrong was the odd brake light bulb im really thinking of buying another one hmmmm
Old 12 October 2009, 09:48 PM
ScoobTypeR
Scooby Regular

Hondas are very reliable!!!

But subarus arent that bad..

Id be going Type RA for track Or V5 TypeR
Old 12 October 2009, 10:32 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

but then you will need ecu uprated clutch decent intercooler better brakes springs or coilovers better breathing mods might aswell wack a slightly bigger turbo as your getting it mapped you might aswell chuckin some nice headers. and before you know it you will need a bottom end. i know i dont sound like scooby enthusiat bt your on a budget and i would rather be safe than be sorry and btw a dc2 would destroy a wrx track road you name it (",)
Old 12 October 2009, 10:40 PM
ScoobTypeR
Scooby Regular

WRX maybe, Lol.. All depends on drivers and size of the ***** mate.

Anyways, Why you trying to push an ugly DC2 on the bloke
Old 12 October 2009, 10:41 PM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Ive had subarus for 9 years now and have never had a big bill unless im modding
Old 12 October 2009, 10:47 PM
ScoobTypeR
Scooby Regular

And your motor is one hell of a stunner with the works to go with it..

Just like any other car, if it is mapped properly, and looked after properly then im sure you wont have any major problems/setbacks...
Old 12 October 2009, 11:10 PM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Ive always looked and waited for the right cars with the right mods to come available and then you have a good base to go further
Old 12 October 2009, 11:15 PM
Mus
Scooby Regular

but anger in all fairness you know your way around you car you done a fair bit of work yourself. and your lucky 9 years is like a myth in the subaru scene but in the honda world its normal

scoobtypeR - you just reminded me when i sold my s3 and bought another integra cant forget the way my mrs freaked out i didnt get dinner for few weeks lol

Quick Reply: Best base for track day scooby