Sponsored by:

Noob Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2009, 08:45 AM
Hungry Horace
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob Questions

As posted in my first couple of posts I am looking at getting a Scoob within the next 6 months. It would be a weekend car and used fairly often around the Nurburgring (luckily I live very close).
I was considering either an Evo 5 or a Scoob I think I have settled on a Scoob as the prices seem to be better value imho.

As I know nothing about the cars I have been researching a little on these forums to try and gain as much knowledge before I commit to a car.
Most people seem to recommend the STI over the WRX so I guess the STI is the one I will be looking for.
What is the earliest model of STI available and how do you tell if it is a genuine STI as lots of the cars I have looked at seem to have STI parts but are WRX.
Any info would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 08 October 2009, 09:18 AM
N_Scooby
Scooby Regular

The only way to really tell for sure is by the VIN number. You can Google for an explanation on Subaru VIN numbers (or some kind soul will post the link!!)

I think STI's started being produced about 1994, but weren't really that much more special than the WRX until 1997 Version 3's which is probably about the age you would be looking at if you were considering an Evo5.
Old 08 October 2009, 09:51 AM
rbaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by N_Scooby
The only way to really tell for sure is by the VIN number. You can Google for an explanation on Subaru VIN numbers (or some kind soul will post the link!!)
Here you go Which Car is a WRX STi
I would be looking for V3 STI they are regarded as one of the best out of the box STIs.
If you have a budget of 4-5k you will get a good one, you can find some for 3k but if you are tracking it I would get one with suspension and brake mods all ready done and any engine mods a bonus